Volksroddin
Volksroddin Dork
1/5/10 12:12 a.m.

I need the flush my transmission in my 01 P71, is this some thing i can do at my apt. I have herd that you can with some automatic transmission. Do these cars have such a transmission? it too cold right now to crawl under the car right now.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/5/10 8:44 a.m.

You can drop the pan and change the filter no problem, and that will usually force you to replace a couple of quarts. You can't flush a 4R70W without a machine hooked into it though (you'll never get all the fluid out by just gravity). Usually the filter change is what does the trick though (they get dirty pretty fast, you're supposed to change them every 25K).

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
1/5/10 9:30 a.m.

and while you're in there, you can do a J-mod in an extra two hours time.

I'm going to use GRM's new word, maintainify!

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Dork
1/5/10 8:36 p.m.

In reply to belteshazzar: ok, learn me. whats a J-mod?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
1/7/10 2:03 p.m.

you unbolt your valvebody from the transmission. There is a plate under it with a bunch of holes in it. You run a drill bit through a half dozen of them. Reassemble. When you're done, the transmission shifts like you just poured a RedBull down the dipstick tube. The shifts are firmer and faster. I was nervous to make mine too harsh, no such problem. They should have come this way from the factory. You can find the proceedure on crownvic.net

5ev3n
5ev3n New Reader
1/7/10 2:48 p.m.

Glad I tuned into this topic. If I end up keeping mine, I'll do that in the spring time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jVEiuS1Kf2AGg1wjFeMTbN3X9aqvdlezcBuxkmenOziksJTOeckc5JCqNM4LMNMA