1 2
porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
4/12/09 6:35 p.m.

So what is the total invesment for materials? How large of a compressor did you need?

Taiden
Taiden New Reader
4/12/09 6:47 p.m.

Looks really good. I thought most people were using mineral spirits and a roller to do the $50 rustoleum paintjob.

Was there a reason why you opted to not use mineral spirits or a roller? It seemed to be the general consensus that the mineral spirits caused the paint to 'even out' and have little orange peel.

YaNi
YaNi Reader
4/12/09 7:15 p.m.
Taiden wrote: Was there a reason why you opted to not use mineral spirits or a roller? It seemed to be the general consensus that the mineral spirits caused the paint to 'even out' and have little orange peel.

Less time than rolling.

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch New Reader
4/12/09 7:38 p.m.

my buddy put , easily, 100 hours into his high-quality-looking roller paint job.

he could have probably prepped/sprayed it in less than 1/3 of that time

Taiden
Taiden New Reader
4/12/09 7:50 p.m.

Good reason. :)

mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
4/12/09 9:53 p.m.

I had great luck with a harbor freight gun. I used one to smoke the tail lights on my escalade and it looks better than the paint cadillac put on it

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
4/13/09 12:06 a.m.

We sell a gun similar to the harbor freight one.

It's a chinese built copy of a SATA gun. I have one and I've been pretty pleased with the results considering it's a $40.00 paint gun.

Well worth the price.

Shawn

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
4/13/09 5:42 a.m.

Nobody ever said roller painting was faster. It's simply less expensive most of the time and generally far less messy, with no special air tools required. It's an alternative. And it certainly can produce results on par with the Saab in this thread.

I would not be so quick to blame the paint gun. While spraying paint is easy, getting things set up just right is not. Add more problems if you are not using automotive paint that comes with pretty specific mixing and pressure instructions. The orange peel our painter got I think is more the result of incorrect thinning ratio than anything with the gun.

Either method requires practice to do well. Expecting quick, perfect results your first time out is a bit like expecting to win the Solo Nats the first time you go.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IVVnIdzPd6nr6jIROdmE0DR7kLu85MnGvtgHvS4Y5VPaDagCXwLsuRekmok42bUm