JamesMcD
JamesMcD New Reader
1/30/11 9:23 p.m.

I have to rebuild the motor in my FD, and I need to purchase a parts washer. Does anyone have a recommendation? Are the Harbor Freight $100 ones decent enough?

What is everyone using?

Thanks, James

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
1/30/11 9:44 p.m.

I had one of those for a long time, worked fine. Pump wore out after a couple years and bought a new one for like 20 bucks. Sold it when I moved. wasn't worth transporting it.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD New Reader
1/30/11 9:48 p.m.

I noticed it doesn't come with a brush on the end of the hose. Did you have a problem with that?

EvanR
EvanR Reader
1/30/11 10:00 p.m.

Watch Craigslist. Garages go out of business all the time. It's a pretty simple device.

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
1/30/11 10:57 p.m.

+1 on using searchtempest.com to mine Craiglist for "parts washer".

I scored a real-live genuine Safety-Kleen brand unit sitting atop a VP racing fuel drum. A week later a friend gave me a barrel of Safety-Kleen solvent from his associates kart shop that had just closed.

It's large and awesome. Deep enough that you can keep a gallon can of carb-dip in the sink.

I keep a selection of baskets and stainless steel restaurant pans in the sink and don't really like a brush on the end of the discharge hose.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/31/11 11:33 a.m.

I have the $100 Harbor unit, and it worked fine for cleaning my 13B. My only complaint is that the power switch was really temperamental until I rewired it.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
2/1/11 5:10 a.m.

Well, I've found a jug of lacquer thinner and a big cooking pan are darn hard to beat for cleaning things.

Don't get me wrong, I love parts cleaners. Just that many of them don't have a very good cleaning solvent. The Harbor Freight ones and the like tend to disolve their pumps or pump seals in good solvents (plastic).

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
2/1/11 5:49 a.m.

Like most things, bigger is better. Mine holds a small block intake, but a big block trans bellhousing is a bit of a challenge. I've had mine for probably 10 years. I don't use it often, but when I do, I'm so glad I have it. The brush on the hose is best, but you can just use the 'hose' with a separate brush. Make sure you buy protective gloves for parts cleaning. I got a pair at a swap meet that are rubber but the fluid makes the fingers weld together and they have no grip when wet. I find that the fluid is self-cleaning as it evaporates over time. When it's time for a refill I drain what's left and scrape the smegma out before I install fresh.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/1/11 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Rad_Capz:

Where did you get a pump to fit it? Mine's kaput as well...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0he9ry6FSHA4FlEbs2dQ5LNGnp4aD6sSC8Cg1YmBGDGKvtxFNaRmDAIPwenWBoQo