1 2
Flight Service
Flight Service UltimaDork
5/9/13 10:37 a.m.

IMHO a truck is like a Slurppie cup. You can get red, blue, or cola, but at the end of the day, the big decision is the size. And the cost is never that much difference.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/13 10:38 a.m.

If he can manage the price bump for a 2005+ Toyota, they are much better trucks.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
5/9/13 11:19 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote: The thing about domestic trucks is that parts are everywhere and cheap and should you be in a pinch, everyone knows how to fix them.

QFT. Ridiculously cheap parts.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/13 11:38 a.m.

You guys don't think Tacomas are everywhere? It's the best selling midsize pickup!

Big trucks do have extra costs involved. Fuel economy, registration and the hassle of dealing with them in cities. My 3/4 ton does stuff a Tacoma never could, but it's a definite hassle to deal with in big urban areas and needs to be maintained like a piece of heavy equipment.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
5/9/13 11:51 a.m.

real world comments from an owner:

Had a '91 Toy 4x4, good truck except for the 3-point-slow. Now have a 2001 Tacoma Xtracab with 5-speed, 4wd and 3.4 - infinitely better truck. I get about 20 mpg overall - about 35% unpaved steep roads, rest 2-lane highways. On trips I get about 22 - 23 mpg. This is with 196,000 miles. Uses no oil at all between changes. Mine has no frame rust problems, but I bought it from a maintenance freak who always did everything by the book, with records to prove it. I also live in a pretty much low rust area.

I'd say that room is a consideration. If you want a Tacoma, I'd hold out for an Xtracab, or variation - standard cab is pretty tight. 'Murican pickup can be a good alternative if the larger overall size isn't a problem. I like smaller vehicles just because, and I need 4wd, both to get around in the winter and to explore the mountains in the summer, and this is my 4th Toy pickup, so I'm a bit prejudiced. I have a good friend with a used Tundra that he likes very much if you want something bigger with plenty of power.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
5/9/13 12:38 p.m.

Woops, I managed to read the time window a decade off. The 3.0 was already gone by then. Scratch/ignore my comments regarding that engine, unless he decides to go earlier (pre 1995, I think).

Flight Service
5/9/13 12:53 p.m.

Troll alert, troll alert, troll alert - I am about to be a troll

Keith Tanner wrote: You guys don't think Tacomas are everywhere? It's the best selling midsize pickup!

Other than the dakota, what is the other mid-size pickup?

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/9/13 1:13 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

Oh, for berkeley's sake...

There aren't any small ones any more, are there? Pickups really are like drinks, as you alluded to earlier, but I'd say more like movie theater drink sizes: Large, Extra Large, and Teh Compensator.

Flight Service
5/9/13 1:30 p.m.
ransom wrote: In reply to Flight Service: Oh, for berkeley's sake... There aren't any small ones any more, are there? Pickups really are like drinks, as you alluded to earlier, but I'd say more like movie theater drink sizes: Large, Extra Large, and Teh Compensator.

Large, Extra Large, and Exxon Valdez LOL

And actually I wouldn't mind having a T100/Tacoma size truck. But I can't see paying more than a Full Size for it.

My family has traditionally hit 300K out of Fords (with one tranny rebuild in the half tons) and not much else. They just keep going for us. Why spend same/more money for less truck with the approximately same gas mileage? I know they are good trucks but the value is missing

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
5/9/13 4:39 p.m.

My short list of next vehicles includes Civics, TLX, Accords, and Duratec Ranger. It's the only non-car I could consider daily driving.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/9/13 4:43 p.m.

Fox trapper. How do you like the t100? A full size really won't fit in my garage but some measuring shows a t100 or early tundra might fit.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/9/13 5:16 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: Why spend same/more money for less truck with the approximately same gas mileage?

Well, I should double-check with my friend, but my impression is that it will be mostly urban use, no towing.

So, a smaller vehicle to park that gets ~23mpg in 4-cyl trim compared to ~16 for the 6-cyl Ford... That's 44% better mileage and greater convenience.

If he's inclined to opt for the 3.4 liter V6, it becomes a fairer fight, regardless of whether he's going to tow anything. It is what it is. My impression is that the Ford is physically larger, and in this case, I think that's a negative, if not necessarily a huge one.

Remember, to a greater or lesser extent, this is a second car first, and a truck second.

rackm0unt
rackm0unt
5/10/13 12:11 a.m.

Hey, guys...

I'm Ransom's friend who's looking for a Toyota Tacoma. I really appreciate all the information and different points of view you have shared on this thread. I've been following it for a few days and decided I'd finally jump on here and answer some of the unknowns about my truck preferences. Brace yourselves for a long-winded post.

As Ransom mentioned, the truck in question will provide backup transportation when the car is unavailable, and will be used for hauling project materials (landscaping materials, lumber, plywood, bags of concrete, lightweight steel tubing for welding projects, etc.) and anything that won't fit in my Prius (and you'd be surprised what I've been able to fit in that thing!).

I do not have plans to tow anything, but I like the idea of having the option to tow a lightweight utility trailer should the need arise. I definitely don't think a V6 is necessary, and I would prefer the fuel economy of the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. I also don't see an immediate need for 4WD; it barely snows here, and I'm not interested in offroading.

I am really only looking at the Xtracab models at this point and, as Ransom mentioned, I'm only interested in the 1998-2004 models. I don't care for the styling of the 2005 and later models, and don't want a mid-size or larger truck. I honestly haven't paid much attention to domestics because they're all so damn big. I've also got a bit of a soft spot for Toyota trucks, as we had several when I was growing up. I might consider one of the smaller Ford Rangers, but I really like the look of the Tacoma better.

Although it pains me to say it (pun somewhat intended) I'm also looking for an automatic transmission. I've got back problems and the brake-gas-brake-gas in stop and go traffic is rough enough on my back without throwing a clutch pedal in the mix.

I guess I'm being pretty picky about this, but I want to make the right decision and get a truck that's really going to make me happy in the end. From what I've seen, however, the resale market on Tacomas is pretty strong, so I could always sell it after a while if it turns out to not be the right truck for me (provided it doesn't have serious mechanical problems). I will certainly watch out for the frame rust issue (but is a visual inspection sufficient?).

Maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse here, deciding on the exact truck I want and then doing the research to find out if it's the right one... someone please talk some sense into me. :)

In summary, this is what I'm currently looking for: 1998-2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2.4L 2WD automatic

The main questions I have at this point are:

1. Is a visual inspection of the frame sufficient to determine whether it is sound with regard to the rust problem?
  2. Are there any other glaring reasons to not seriously consider this truck, keeping in mind my preferences and intended use as discussed above?
  3. Are there other compact trucks that I should consider in addition to or instead of the Tacoma?

Thanks again for all your input so far. For someone for whom cars and car-centric activities are not a hobby, it's incredibly helpful to have the opportunity to pick your collective brain.

Thanks!

Flight Service
5/10/13 12:25 a.m.
  1. Research and do the TSB check on the rust.

2. It's your choice man go for it!

3. The Duratec Ranger which should give as reliable as service, but from your post, that isn't what you want. Go find you a non-rusty Yota and smile.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/13 6:50 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: Troll alert, troll alert, troll alert - I am about to be a troll
Keith Tanner wrote: You guys don't think Tacomas are everywhere? It's the best selling midsize pickup!
Other than the dakota, what is the other mid-size pickup?

Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger, GMC Canyon, Honda Ridgeline, Nissan Frontier, Suzuki Equator and I've probably left something off the list.

I've used a T100 extensively, owned a Toyota "pickup" (pre-Tacoma), run a first-gen Tundra and now have a monstrous 3/4 ton Dodge 2500. The latter is huge because it has a massive driveline and I bought it for that reason - it spends almost all of its time in harness. The Tundra was a good all-around size, easier to live with but no star when it came to gas mileage. The T100 needs more engine, IMO. The Tacos do far, far better on mileage as far as my friends report.

twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos Reader
5/10/13 8:52 a.m.

I'm late to the party and in a hurry so I just skimmed.

I bought a 1999 Tacoma 2.4 5-speed extra cab last fall. I started out wanting a Duratec Ranger, but realized that the Toyota allows for a car seat in the rear which was a game changer.

I have a short city commute with light traffic. I have averaged about 24-28 mpg (no 1/2 ton is going to touch that). My uses are similar to what you're describing. I have used it to haul an atv, go kart, yard stuff, bikes, camping gear, tires, etc.

If you're going to be on the highway a lot I would suggest a bigger truck as the mpg becomes a wash and the utility is greater on the larger trucks. For around town though, I think these little pickups are hard to beat.

Mine has 250k miles and runs like a top so far.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6yUvqRwehsA0zJpHDvNhSqZthYdQoyCjx6a1AwxEs46MrNPQZbSb63roTmyAMsh5