1 2
Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
3/3/12 9:35 a.m.

I dont think that engine was ever sold without turbos (the closest I know of is the engine in the merak and Citroën sm, but that's quite a bit different), and there probably isn't much reason to remove the turbos from one.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/12 10:40 a.m.
stroker wrote: Has anyone done anything interesting with a normally-aspirated version of the Biturbo V6?

The early cars were 185hp and low compression, so I can't imagine how little power they have w/out the turbos

stroker
stroker HalfDork
3/3/12 4:03 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote:
stroker wrote: Has anyone done anything interesting with a normally-aspirated version of the Biturbo V6?
The early cars were 185hp and low compression, so I can't imagine how little power they have w/out the turbos

The only reason I ask is that Wikipedia says the car was sold in a non-turbo format and it seems like the turbo is the biggest headache with the car. Seemed to me like if you could find an application for the engine without the turbos then you could do engine swap on the chassis and sorta win/win...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
3/3/12 4:51 p.m.

The turbos are not the issue.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
3/3/12 5:39 p.m.

Would junking the OEM engine management and replacing it with something like megasquirt make it work right?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
3/3/12 6:08 p.m.

I think what junked most of them is a combination of tight tolerances on a high compression interference engine with short belt life.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
3/3/12 6:23 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: I think what junked most of them is a combination of tight tolerances on a high compression interference engine with short belt life.

Megasquirt won't fix that.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
3/3/12 6:29 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
chandlerGTi wrote: I think what junked most of them is a combination of tight tolerances on a high compression interference engine with short belt life.
Megasquirt won't fix that.

Nope. A "LS" would.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
3/3/12 7:15 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: The early cars were 185hp and low compression, so I can't imagine how little power they have w/out the turbos

Okay, so which is it, High or Low compression? Or are we talking about a change from early to late production?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
3/3/12 7:41 p.m.

Low compression with turbos. I consider that end product to be high compression, if that makes sense.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/12 8:18 p.m.

stroker, the Biturbo was never sold naturally aspirated (hence the name Biturbo...), can I see your source?

The main issues are the incredibly complicated timing gear and the comparably complicated blow-through carburetor setup. The turbos aren't the issue, the fact that they blow through the carb is. Later fuel injected models are said to be a lot more reliable. But they are all interference, and to call the timing belt a 60k interval is probably on the generous side.

I'd love to put one of the Biturbo motors in a Locost. It'd be a lot easier to work on, too!

m4ff3w
3/3/12 9:37 p.m.

I think the actual interval is 30k, which is the same as the alfa milano. The valve gotta adjust the valves every 15k, so might as well do the belt then.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/3/12 10:04 p.m.

There used to be one around Columbus that was for sale for a long...long time. I think the last price was 500.00.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/3/12 10:17 p.m.
MG Bryan wrote: He makes it sound like there's something wrong with Ray-Bans.

what's wrong with feathered hair? 70% of the Class of 1980 I was part of got through high school with this hair. (30% had perms)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/12 11:27 p.m.

how many of them still have hair, Pete?

stroker
stroker HalfDork
3/4/12 8:10 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: stroker, the Biturbo was never sold naturally aspirated (hence the name Biturbo...), can I see your source?

As I said, Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maserati_Biturbo

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/12 8:21 a.m.
stroker wrote:
SlickDizzy wrote: stroker, the Biturbo was never sold naturally aspirated (hence the name Biturbo...), can I see your source?
As I said, Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maserati_Biturbo

I don't see anywhere on that entire page where it says there was a naturally aspirated Biturbo. If you mean the info box on the right, that is because the 2.0, 2.5, and 2.7 were ALL twin-turbo. Again, hence the name, "Biturbo".

Wikipedia said: ...featuring, as the name implies, a two-litre V6 engine with two turbochargers...
m4ff3w
3/4/12 8:45 a.m.
stroker wrote:
As I said, Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maserati_Biturbo

On the right info pane, it says: 2.0L V6, twin turbocharged 2.5L V6, twin turbocharged 2.8L V6, twin turbocharged

Where on the page does it say it was available normally aspirated?

The only thing I can think if is if you are assuming the carb'ed engines are normally aspirated, but they are not.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
3/4/12 10:43 a.m.

Of the three engine alternatives in the right pane only the 2.8L is followed by "twin turbocharged". I'd interpreted that as that the first two engines were NOT boosted. The other reference is in the chart under Spyder where it does not list a Turbo for the 1995cc engine but that apparently was never exported from Italy. I guess I misread the right pane as indicating the first two engines (2.0L and 2.5L) were normally aspirated.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/12 1:15 p.m.

I like the looks of these. I don't want one, but I like the styling.

There's a piece of crap Buick Reatta that belongs to the landlord next door that won't go away. Maybe I should try to sell it.

m4ff3w
3/4/12 2:42 p.m.
stroker wrote: Of the three engine alternatives in the right pane only the 2.8L is followed by "twin turbocharged". I'd interpreted that as that the first two engines were NOT boosted. The other reference is in the chart under Spyder where it does not list a Turbo for the 1995cc engine but that apparently was never exported from Italy. I guess I misread the right pane as indicating the first two engines (2.0L and 2.5L) were normally aspirated.

Even the 2.0l in the Spyder was twin turbo. Wiki is wrong.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n468fWbDrbjilTwg0tFnfBCAnK8g7DetxiCl3XpsXBWPzbaVlsu9NLrlmwpZoLFf