1 2
mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
9/16/12 3:56 p.m.

So, I had this idea. I want an Excursion v10, gas. I know they already get absolutely the worst gas mileage humanly possible. I do also know that- on a full tank, it'll go nearly 600 miles (pretty damn good for a bug out vehicle, as it were) I know it will seat 8, tow TWO cars, and is generally the biggest damn thing I can get my hands on at a reasonable price. They're essentially worthless up here, with clean rust free v10's going for about 3500$.... which is about 10k cheaper than even the crappy powerstroke. I'd LOVE a 7.3, but there's just no way I'm getting into one of those for the price the gas can be had at. Keep in mind, I will not use this as a daily driver. I have several other cars to choose from that will get decent commuter mileage. This vehicle would serve as a tow rig, extreme winter commuter (if we get 2 feet of snow in one shot again, I'm screwed. The MINI is the tallest car I have right now, at least that runs) possible plow rig if I buy a house with a big driveway. Ideally, it's a workhorse. I don't really want a truck, because from what i've seen, they all carry a premium and don't have nearly the interior space an Excursion does. I've considered suburban, but finding those on the 3/4ton hauler chassis is nigh impossible up here. Even then, I'm only getting a v8...and from what i've been reading, the trannies aren't the greatest. My parents have a v10 Excursion, and I've been quite satisfied with that lumbering leviathan the times I've used it.

So... what say you all? I honestly don't give two E36 M3s about the mileage the thing will get... I know it's HUGE. I just wanna know if they're sorta reliable.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
9/16/12 4:45 p.m.

Talk with Mike at 5Star tunning and pay the $300 for the tuner and his custom tunes and the pay back in milage and power will be quick. I'm just waiting for my factory warenty to run out...

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
9/16/12 4:51 p.m.

For the price premium you are citing that buys a LOT of gas

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/16/12 5:00 p.m.

I wanted one but had to settle for an expedition as there just were not any for sale in the area when I was shopping. On the plus side the expedishion has been a very nice vehical. A few minor quirks like coil packs randomly dying and front hubs (went 150K on them)

The only down side has been rust. It is probably going to rust away before it dies mechanically.

I have heard good things about the Excursions. They are F250 / 350 depending on the exact model you get. Great work horse from what I am told. Just look for the usual ford rust.

Will
Will Dork
9/16/12 5:21 p.m.

The V10 is essentially a 5.4-liter Triton with an extra two cylinders. Most of the problems the V8 engines have (like popping spark plugs) apply to the V10 as well.

whenry
whenry HalfDork
9/16/12 6:38 p.m.

V-10 Excursion is the greatest tow vehicle ever made. Very tough and reliable. Possibly the only weak link is replacing rotors and pads every 15-20k miles but you are stopping over 7000 lbs plus whatever might occasionally tow. I was sold when I learned that the drivetrain is the same as the Powerstroke.
Some computer tuning and you can get 15mpg. Swap out the sway bars and springs for F-350 stuff and it will handle pretty well. I sold mine only when I realized that as the economy tanked, my racing days were limited until things got better.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/16/12 7:47 p.m.

I personally wouldn't own the Ford V10 if you paid me given their weak heads and spark plug issues. They sound funny, they roar inside the cabin louder than a 7.3, and don't hold their value like the diesel. We had two identical 25- passenger coaches, one with the V10 and one with a 7.3 stroke. Empty, the V10 would out-pull the 7.3. Full of passengers, the V10 wouldn't even stay in view on long hills.

If you can find the cash, the diesel will pay off - not only at the pump, but in resale value as well.

I searched long and hard for a 7.3 Excursion and couldn't find one within reach of my small pockets, so I found a 7.3 van and saved enough money on buying it that I have almost enough to do a 4x4 conversion.

I was so opposed to the V10 that I gave up on the Excursion and got a van instead.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
9/16/12 8:01 p.m.

See, that's the problem Curtis- I don't really have the skill to do a 4x4 conversion on a van, and I sure as hell don't have the money to pay for one to be built. I could probably LEARN the 4x4, but that's wholly impractical for my use. This thing won't see more than 2-3k mi/yr. I could save out for a 7.3, as they're strangely plentiful in my area.... but damned if the prices aren't stiff. I could but a deuce and a half, and still have money left over for getting a powerstroke.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/16/12 9:58 p.m.
mndsm wrote: See, that's the problem Curtis- I don't really have the skill to do a 4x4 conversion on a van, and I sure as hell don't have the money to pay for one to be built. I could probably LEARN the 4x4, but that's wholly impractical for my use. This thing won't see more than 2-3k mi/yr. I could save out for a 7.3, as they're strangely plentiful in my area.... but damned if the prices aren't stiff. I could but a deuce and a half, and still have money left over for getting a powerstroke.

If its truly only going to see that mileage, get an earlier 4.6L 2V. They are paradigms of reliability. They won't win any races, but they'll keep up with traffic while towing 6000. We used to have two 4.6L trucks (a 98 and a 99) that we used to run cars back and forth between Rochester and L.A. Foot to the floor, 90 mph, OD turned off, 4500 rpm, beer in the cooler, and a stripper in the back seat. Good times and 230k later, both trucks still made factory compression numbers, didn't leak a drop, and never needed anything but scheduled maintenance. At 230k, one of them started slipping in 2nd.

The other one just started smelling like a stripper.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/17/12 6:04 a.m.

In reply to curtis73:

Pics or it didn't happen.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
9/17/12 7:24 a.m.
If its truly only going to see that mileage, get an earlier 4.6L 2V. They are paradigms of reliability.

I wish this was true. (looks down at his $400 dealer bill for a blown spark plug>) My 97 F150 with the 4.6L used to be quite reliable until it left me stranded in Lincoln(for nationals).. in the first rainstorm they had in 6 months.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/17/12 8:00 a.m.
Will wrote: The V10 is essentially a 5.4-liter Triton with an extra two cylinders. Most of the problems the V8 engines have (like popping spark plugs) apply to the V10 as well.

True, and like those engines, the internet makes the problems seem a lot more widespread than they actually are. I know quite a few people who put well over 100k on those motors with no problems, and I've owned a few myself.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
9/17/12 8:19 a.m.

if you want a 4X4 with a V10, then get a 4X4 with a V10.. they do exist- i've seen them. if you don't like it, you can sell it.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
9/17/12 8:27 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

No offense, but that's what I thought as well. The spark plug issue crossed my mind before driving out 1200 miles with my truck. My reasoning went like this "I've got the least stressed plugs, a non PI 4.6L (215hp)motor, with plugs that have been in for about 20K miles, I'm sure they won't pop on this trip since I've hauled a lot more weight than just 3 people and a kart"... I was wrong(and still a little bitter/embarrassed by it.)

As a note, the 2v blowing plugs issue was resolved in 2003 when they put more threads in the head/plug. The 3v motors get their plugs stuck and break. There are also ways to avoid the plug blowout problem, which is partially torquing to 28ftlbs instead of the factory 15(!).

Also: I do plan on buying another 1997-2003 f150, but I'll be timecerting the spark plugs(and dropping a ZF transmission in), so I'm not saying stay away from them. It's been a great truck save the rust and the plug issue.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
9/17/12 8:51 a.m.

How about one of these motors with 755k

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/09/monday-mileage-champion-2001-ford-f250/

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
9/17/12 9:16 a.m.

So it seems to me, if I want the v10, I want a pre-2003, with the 2v engine. The 3v gets a lot more outcries. This is good, cause they're older, and therefore cheaper!

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
9/17/12 9:20 a.m.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/3275933852.html

This is the kind of thing i'm looking at. Seems to be a whole E36 M3load of truck for not a whole lot of scratch, and for whatever reason, these pop up all the time around here.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
9/17/12 9:30 a.m.

Yeah if it doesn't have thousands of dollars of deferred maintenance it really needs I agree

mightymike
mightymike New Reader
9/17/12 10:01 a.m.

FWIW, we have owned our 2000 Excursion with a gas V-10/2wd since it was new. We have 220k miles on it now. Other than tires, brakes,and a battery, the only repairs have been a new computer ($700) and lift gate cylinders ($50). The AC, cruise control, windows etc. all function prefectly. My dad and I just drove from NC to MI and towed his heavy 1949 Ford hot rod through the mountains back to NC with lots of power and zero issues. I'd like to get a new F250, but not until this things wears out. It is a tank.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
9/17/12 10:27 a.m.

I want to put the 2v V10 in to a Factory Five Roadster. 310hp/425tq and you can pick them up for $1500 or less.

Supposedly it weighs the same as a 427.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
9/17/12 11:48 a.m.
e_pie wrote: I want to put the 2v V10 in to a Factory Five Roadster. 310hp/425tq and you can pick them up for $1500 or less. Supposedly it weighs the same as a 427.

Dang it, I get too many ideas for projects on this forum.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
9/17/12 12:10 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: True, and like those engines, the internet makes the problems seem a lot more widespread than they actually are. I know quite a few people who put well over 100k on those motors with no problems, and I've owned a few myself.

Dude, this is the 21st century. I'd certainly hope you'd get more than 160,000kms out of a motor. In fact, if you can't get 300,000kms out of an engine built since the mid 90's, something is seriously wrong...

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
9/17/12 1:19 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote:
e_pie wrote: I want to put the 2v V10 in to a Factory Five Roadster. 310hp/425tq and you can pick them up for $1500 or less. Supposedly it weighs the same as a 427.

It'd be pretty straight forward as well since it's the same as the modular V8, which the Factory Five kits readily accomodate. The only tricky bit would be either modifying the hood to fit the tall truck intake manifold, or making a custom intake manifold to fit under the normal hood. The rest (transmission, motormounts, etc.) are all the same as the mod V8.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
9/17/12 1:28 p.m.
e_pie wrote:
Sky_Render wrote:
It'd be pretty straight forward as well since it's the same as the modular V8, which the Factory Five kits readily accomodate. The only tricky bit would be either modifying the hood to fit the tall truck intake manifold, or making a custom intake manifold to fit under the normal hood. The rest (transmission, motormounts, etc.) are all the same as the mod V8.

Do ITB's and cut a hole in the hood so you can see em. Imagine being on the grid and watching people as they count the velocity stacks... "1,2....9.....10?... I don't understand!?!?!?!"

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
9/17/12 1:49 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: If you can find the cash, the diesel will pay off - not only at the pump, but in resale value as well.

Resale value matters a lot less when the buy-in is so much lower. If you pay $10k more - so $13,500 instead of $3,500 - to have a vehicle worth $8k after driving it for a while, you haven't gained anything. You would need it to increase in value to offset the buy-in of a Diesel. The fuel usage is a fair point but only matters if he drives it enough to offset. He's not going to offset that kind of cost difference.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oskHoPsIEQcwx1hdGwd59vaLmqlR87BITFMMvhMhuc4VfppXphlPw2c2syUBV0vn