1 2
Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
9/17/12 8:20 p.m.

Ya'll are overthinking this. It needs moar Cummings.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
9/17/12 9:57 p.m.
tpwalsh wrote: As a note, the 2v blowing plugs issue was resolved in 2003 when they put more threads in the head/plug.

internet lore. prove me wrong.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
9/17/12 10:02 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
e_pie wrote:
Sky_Render wrote:
e_pie wrote: I want to put the 2v V10 in to a Factory Five Roadster. 310hp/425tq and you can pick them up for $1500 or less. Supposedly it weighs the same as a 427.
Dang it, I get too many ideas for projects on this forum.
It'd be pretty straight forward as well since it's the same as the modular V8, which the Factory Five kits readily accomodate. The only tricky bit would be either modifying the hood to fit the tall truck intake manifold, or making a custom intake manifold to fit under the normal hood. The rest (transmission, motormounts, etc.) are all the same as the mod V8.
Do ITB's and cut a hole in the hood so you can see em. Imagine being on the grid and watching people as they count the velocity stacks... "1,2....9.....10?... I don't understand!?!?!?!"

Then it quits being a budget build though.

Some guys put one in a 67 Mustang, the mod V10 actually has a pretty nice sound, could use some more revs though, rev limiter kicks in at 6k.

http://www.mypowerblock.com/photo/albums/bartsworks-67-mustang-coupe-ford-v10-engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdfSmbEiCR4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5l0duSOoEw

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
9/17/12 10:09 p.m.

Is there some reason you're not considering the Econoline?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/17/12 10:19 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote:
tpwalsh wrote: As a note, the 2v blowing plugs issue was resolved in 2003 when they put more threads in the head/plug.

Actually, I think it was 2004 when the 3V heads came out. And there's no way those were going to eject plugs, they have the opposite problem, you can't get the plugs out without breaking them. I did manage to break only one when I did the plugs in my 07 F-150, though.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
9/18/12 8:12 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
belteshazzar wrote:
Actually, I think it was 2004 when the 3V heads came out. And there's no way those were going to eject plugs, they have the opposite problem, you can't get the plugs out without breaking them. I did manage to break only one when I did the plugs in my 07 F-150, though.
tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
9/18/12 8:18 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
belteshazzar wrote:

Yep, though they made 2v 4.6L motors for more than a few years later. 2009 I believe was the last of the 2v motors in the F150's. I believe that the vans kept the 2v engines for packaging reasons.

Belt, Entirely possible it's just internet lore. The TSB about this issue lists the F150 from 1997-2007(when the TSB was issued). This was about the most reputable source I found that mentioned it: http://www.blownoutsparkplug.com/faqs.htm#Q:%20Have%20the%20threads%20in%20the%20newer%20engines%20been%20upgraded

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/12 11:49 a.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to curtis73: Pics or it didn't happen.

I don't have pics of the stripper in the truck, but here they are at Lucha Vavoom after the trip.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
9/18/12 12:00 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote:

Actually, it was a problem that lasted well into the 04 model years across the board. In '05, you saw the change in the Mustang 4.6 and 5.4's in the trucks to 3v with other spark plug problems. The 4.6 cars and trucks had the updated heads beginning somewhere in mid-late 04 until production ended. You will always find that it will be #6 and/or #7, that spit out sparkplugs.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/18/12 12:25 p.m.

In reply to e_pie:

I want to put the 2v V10 in to a Factory Five Roadster. 310hp/425tq and you can pick them up for $1500 or less.

Supposedly it weighs the same as a 427.

This this best idea in this thread... Sorry for the threadjack...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1G27UykZMvJzyn2c2WpA8c2rWw7HL7hmQoZpranjsCF0IaquFeAuVR9rxYn6t3V2