1 2 3 4
turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/31/13 10:26 a.m.

Chrysler 426 Hemi DOHC, built to go after Ford's Cammer in NASCAR, but was scrapped when NASCAR put their foot down and it proved way too unreliable, heavy and costly for anything else.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
10/31/13 10:36 a.m.
RossD wrote: Well, since I was born in 1981, it appears all the engines from the 60's were the best! Which ones where terrible then? Everything can't be the best.

The GM 2300 was pretty bad but didn't go into production until 1971

The Pontiac 195 was pretty bad

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/31/13 11:03 a.m.
turboswede wrote: Chrysler 426 Hemi DOHC, built to go after Ford's Cammer in NASCAR, but was scrapped when NASCAR put their foot down and it proved way too unreliable, heavy and costly for anything else.

While its socalled competitor(427 sohc cammer) went on to become famous for drag racing exploits and actually being reasonably reliable....

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/31/13 11:08 a.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to neon4891: I assume you mean 426 Hemi and not 427... Did Ford or Chevrolet do a hemi-head derivative of their 427's? Also, I know "$ V-8" means cheap V-8, and this isn't supposed to be a competition, but I'm not sure if the 318 is really all that great. They last a long time, but so do a lot of other things.

The hemi wasn't a unique feature to anything chrysler(their marketing department did a good job making people believe that though).....it was normally a feature of OHC engines though.

The 427 cammer ford and boss 429 were both hemispherical chambers, IIRC there were even some chevy/poncho/buick products in the 50's with hemispherical chambers as well.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
10/31/13 11:12 a.m.

In reply to yamaha:

My point was that I don't think any 427 was built with a hemispherical combustion chamber, but there may have been some odd-ball factory racing part I don't know about.

I notice no one stepping up to defend the 318 either, ha ha.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/31/13 11:24 a.m.

Well, the 318 is a hell of a workhorse and had a much more favorable torque curve compared to its contemporaries, but then Chrysler has always produced fairly torquey and durable motors at the expense of excitement or outright speed.

Can't tell you the number of races my Uncle's small block 6-pack GTX won against big blocks and the like. He would bet $50 on the race and charge $50 to open the hood. It really helps that he's a pretty good driver on top of his car being fairly quick.

Yep, the Hemi marketing was and still is a bit silly, but one can't deny the results the elephant produced. Really wish top fuel and funny car cars had to use engine blocks based around the manufacturer of the car they are running and the rules should be opened up. Everyone running Chrysler based blocks seems silly and negates some of the crowing that manufacturers do when a car running something with a body similar to what they produce wins with a Chrysler engine under the hood.

Oh and I know that the Keith Black blocks only represent Chrysler 426 Hemi engines in sight appearance only.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/31/13 11:54 a.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to yamaha: My point was that I don't think any 427 was built with a hemispherical combustion chamber, but there may have been some odd-ball factory racing part I don't know about.

The 427 sohc cammer was a "hemi" They were horribly expensive options, but they were options in some cars and otherwise orderable for racing. After nascar banned them with the "Cam in block" rule, they continued on in drag racing. I love me some A/FX comets.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
11/1/13 2:28 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: How about the Ford Cammer, this is my unicorn  photo MuscleCarChicago2012010.jpg  photo MuscleCarChicago2012009.jpg

how about a Chevy unicorn: the 302 Hemi. never actually made it past the prototype stage, but there's at least one 69 Z/28 still in existence that has that engine in it..

http://www.guinns-engineering.com/Ricks%20Hemi%20Heads%20and%20Cam.htm

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
11/1/13 4:33 a.m.

One of my favorite '60s V-12s. Also came in V-8, V-16, and V-20!

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
11/1/13 4:47 a.m.

$ category

4 cylinder

I was going to say Pinto motor or Toyota TC series, but they both began production in 1970, so I guess this is going to the Datsun L series.

6 cylinder

Almost said Jaguar but I figured this would be more fun. Golden star if you can guess what it is. Hint, it's not that rare, but it was never available in North America.

8 cylinder

Pretty obviously the mouse. If it has to be launched in the 60s, then I'd say small block Ford with an honorable mention to the AMC "medium block" 290/304/340/390/401 and Buick 215.

$$ Category

4 cylinder

Lotus Twin Cam

6 cylinder

Porsche F6 because it's hard to argue with the most successful production based racing car ever.

8 cylinder

Boss 302

12 cylinder

Jaguar, best picture I could find, really.

$$$$$$$$$/Unicorn Category

4 cylinder

Offy Turbo

6 cylinder

Dino/Lancia Engine, but only because I already said Porsche F6, which is really better in almost every way.

8 cylinder

Alfa Romeo 2.0L V8

12 cylinder

The daddy of them all. 1300+ hp Porsche F12 turbo. Granted, the turbo came in the 70s, but the engine came from 68.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine HalfDork
11/1/13 6:44 a.m.

This thread should be titled "60s engine pron"

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/13 10:14 a.m.

And the hits just keep on coming! Daewooofdeath's engines make me weak in the knees. Funny, I started this thread mainly because I was thinking of engine swaps between vintage cars that would allow them to retain their vintage status in rallys, and the thread just grew into something bigger and better than I'd expected.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/1/13 11:35 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Javelin wrote: Um, all of them? No, seriously. The 60's produced soooo many good motors that it's unreal. Even the "uncommon" stuff like AMC's, big Buick, etc are still being used to make huge power today. Heck, I don't think I can even name a "bad" motor from the 60's...
Triumph Stag V8?

I'm in on this one and its little brother, the Dolomite / SAAB 4-cylinder derived from one cylinder bank. Of course, the latter engine is only half as bad.

The 4-cylinder engine was much improved by SAAB in 1973 when they started building their own motors and used the Dolomite engine merely as a jump-off point.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
11/2/13 9:35 p.m.
kreb wrote: And the hits just keep on coming! Daewooofdeath's engines make me weak in the knees. Funny, I started this thread mainly because I was thinking of engine swaps between vintage cars that would allow them to retain their vintage status in rallys, and the thread just grew into something bigger and better than I'd expected.

PLEEEEASE put an Offenhauser into a 60's sedan or tiny sports car of some description.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/2/13 9:51 p.m.

427 SOHC Aluminum heads. Looks like a hemi to me. :)

Ultra Rare Mickey Thompson 427 side oiler heads

And good ole stock 68 side oiler heads.

I never posted a 4 cylinder.

Going to go Italian for this one with 1750 Alfa Romeo GTV engine. It makes such sweet sounds.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dW2pqxBZ5DvCKLC9TkSgc72NoirLqoctc0Rk1ysRYU5rjDNYwq88WzvdOX4JnQav