singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
4/5/15 9:36 p.m.

So I am refurbing the front (and eventually rear) suspension on my galaxie. Got a ton done today but the poly strut rod bushings are causing me grief. They seem really thick and I can't get any threads to hook on the nut. Suggestions?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/5/15 9:48 p.m.

Cut them down?

Am I missing something?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
4/5/15 10:03 p.m.

Cutting is a last resort. These "should" work. I have not done a set before and thought I might be missing something.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/5/15 10:11 p.m.

When I put poly strut rod bushings on my Volvo I had the same issue at first. I can't remember exactly how I got it to work but it involved cleaning all the corrosion off the areas that contacted the bushing and then compressing them somehow to get a couple threads engaged. I may have just installed the bushing on one side of the rod and tightened the bolt to get it compressed into the rod before putting the other bushing on.

After I got a couple threads engaged it went together smoothly.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/15 10:45 p.m.

Try freezing the bushings to shrink them and it could help.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
4/6/15 9:43 a.m.

I tried a c clamp but there isn't much space.

Evan, that is a good idea for compressing the rear bushing with the front off.

I don't know if I can make up half an inch with freezing.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
4/6/15 4:45 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: Cutting is a last resort. These "should" work. I have not done a set before and thought I might be missing something.

So "should" all the people on welfare, ive had to machine a little off of poly bushes in the past, no downside on the ones I did.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
4/7/15 12:23 p.m.

try boiling them in water then install hot that should make them more pliable but will burn the crap out of you so use welding gloves

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
4/7/15 1:01 p.m.

Thanks gang. I have been working lots of overtime so this will have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3huN9echxG3AdMU7Hxr20W7btyea48n6UDy35ebZd0QIAZrWXf5SiLocn0WVImov