1 2
RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
1/24/15 6:00 p.m.

One of my coworkers just got a new Ford Fiesta.

I'm pretty impressed by the little car. His is a 5 speed manual with what he says is a 1.4 (I think it's actually a 1.6). Regardless of displacement, it's a pretty zippy little ride. His is a mid range model, with power windows and alloy wheels but without frivolous extra gizmowidgets.

His little Fiesta has started me thinking about getting a new daily, maybe something made since the Clinton administration. I'm a cheap bastard frugal, thoughtful shopper, so I'm not about to wave money in a dealer's face for a shiny new model anything.

Thankfully, it appears that Ford made about the exact same car, the Focus, about 15 years ago.

The first thing I thought when I saw Nate's Fiesta was, "Wow, that's what they call a subcompact these days?" When I think subcompact, I think Justy, Metro, Festiva, Tercel. I could have sworn that my mid-sized 1990 Camry was a good bit smaller than the subcompact Fiesta, and that a compact first generation focus couldn't be much larger.

Comparing a new Fiesta and an original Focus, both are about the same length, width and weight. Power (at least on paper) is about dead even as well. A new Ford Durateczetecsimgawhatever 1.6 with VVT makes 132 hp and 120 ft lbs of torque and the old 2.0 Zetec churns out 130 hp and 135 ft lbs (15 more ft lbs to haul around the extra weight from the wagon I'd want, since sedans are for chumps).

With the nose bleed inducing depreciation pleasant affordability of first generation Focuses, this seems like a really good deal on a nice older model that mirrors a nice newer model that I'm keen on. So what's the rub? Early, affordable Focuses are not nice and I'm rather picky.

I test drove a lot of first gen Focuses when my girlfriend was shopping around for a new car. When driving, I was immediately struck by the unbelievable roar of road noise doing 45 mph on a newly paved road and the fact that the interior was obviously molded from recycled biodegradable Volvo wiring harnesses from the 80s. Personally I've always driven imports (with the exception of one horrific $300 Dodge RAM van), so I consulted a friend and Ford enthusiast. His words of wisdom: "Yeah, it's an American car. That's how they are, get over it."

Despite the common economy car drawbacks, it seems to be difficult to find a Focus wagon with all the good features of an economy car. Manual transmissions, while fairly common in 3 doors, seem few and far between in the wagons. I've yet to actually find a wagon for sale with a five speed. Furthermore, most manual everything early models come with the abysmal malaise layover valve seat dropping soup can full of angry hornets and loose change 2.0 SPI. It may be a task to find a wagon with manual windows, manual transmission, steel wheels and a Zetec.

Still, the Focus seems to be a decently affordable and decently reliable econobox without torsion bars. Cheap to buy, cheap to keep running, but still fun and endearing. That, to me, is what a daily beater should be and it appears that the Focus checks these boxes.

Thoughts?

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
1/24/15 6:21 p.m.

I looked hard for a Focus before I bought my Golf.

Prevailing wisdom is to find a 2.3L car. I have seen wagons with 5spd, so be patient. Autos are much more common.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
1/24/15 7:00 p.m.

There are so many partsbin goodies available for swapping into Focuses, and even the SVT upgrade kits are really cheap (it's almost cheaper to upgrade to SVT-spec disc brakes rather then change the rear wheel bearings on a drum-brake model).

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
1/24/15 7:05 p.m.

I loved my old focus, but that is exactly the peoblem, no one really took care of them. It was just drive it till it explodes and ditch it. And while they are about the same dimensions the first gen focus has a lot more interior room than the fiesta at least in the front seats. Never really sat in the back

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/24/15 7:08 p.m.

When I was car shopping a year ago I really wanted one of the 2005 to 2007 wagons. The interior is made of a bit nicer materials, I think, and the dash isn't nearly as silly as the earlier cars. They were impossible to find with a manual transmission. I was searching online with a 1,000 mile radius from the center of the country and I couldn't locate one.

Maybe my search abilities were weak. But eventually I gave up about bought an SX4 hatch. I still sometimes wish I had held out for the perfect Focus wagon. Or bit the bullet and ordered the "perfect" Honda Fit.

Oh, and I test drove a new Fiesta and thought the ride was rather nervous and crashy. Just me or does anyone else agree?

Hal
Hal SuperDork
1/24/15 7:09 p.m.

If you want to do any suspension work on it, DON'T get a wagon. The wagons have a different rear suspension which had very few (1-2) aftermarket options. All the SVT/aftermarket rear suspensions now available will not fit a wagon.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
1/24/15 8:10 p.m.
ssswitch wrote: There are so many partsbin goodies available for swapping into Focuses, and even the SVT upgrade kits are really cheap (it's almost cheaper to upgrade to SVT-spec disc brakes rather then change the rear wheel bearings on a drum-brake model).

This interests me. 130 hp should be pretty peppy with a manual trans. I've had heavier cars with less power that I thought were fun.

nepa03focus wrote: I loved my old focus, but that is exactly the peoblem, no one really took care of them. It was just drive it till it explodes and ditch it. And while they are about the same dimensions the first gen focus has a lot more interior room than the fiesta at least in the front seats. Never really sat in the back

That surprises me. I haven't sat in my coworker's Fiesta, but I remember the Focus feeling pretty cramped in the front.

pres589 wrote: When I was car shopping a year ago I really wanted one of the 2005 to 2007 wagons. The interior is made of a bit nicer materials, I think, and the dash isn't nearly as silly as the earlier cars. They were impossible to find with a manual transmission. I was searching online with a 1,000 mile radius from the center of the country and I couldn't locate one. Maybe my search abilities were weak. But eventually I gave up about bought an SX4 hatch. I still sometimes wish I had held out for the perfect Focus wagon. Or bit the bullet and ordered the "perfect" Honda Fit. Oh, and I test drove a new Fiesta and thought the ride was rather nervous and crashy. Just me or does anyone else agree?

The early models fit my budget. Makes me ponder finding a pretty clean wagon with a bad automagic.

Hal wrote: If you want to do any suspension work on it, DON'T get a wagon. The wagons have a different rear suspension which had very few (1-2) aftermarket options. All the SVT/aftermarket rear suspensions now available will not fit a wagon.

I really need a wagon for work and hauling junk around. My current daily is a sedan, which is why I'm thinking about getting a new one.

I'm not terribly interested in upgrading much on the car. Blowing a little fairy dust over the engine might be fun. I've heard these handle pretty well in stock form. Rear discs would be nice, but if I can't have then I can't have.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
1/24/15 8:15 p.m.

Get a ZX5 hatch. It will do 95% of what a wagon will do and way more common.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
1/24/15 9:11 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote: Personally I've always driven imports

Camry wagon, Accord wagon, Corolla wagon, Volvo V50 T5 wagon, Volvo V70 wagon, Volvo V70 XC wagon, Mazda Protege wagon...are we on the same page yet? At that age and pricepoint I would totaly pick the Japanese wagon flavor of your finding.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
1/24/15 9:54 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

Yes. Get a Honda accord wagon. You'll have more room for cargo and be much happier with the handling, daily manners, and aftermarket.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
1/24/15 11:34 p.m.

You know, it might be worth test driving a Fiesta honestly. I get the virtues of frugality, but dang it new cars are so much better than cars from the early 2000's. Better safety, comfort, usually more fuel efficient, more reliable, and better driving. I'd personally go older to the 90's for a cheap DD or pony up for something made in the last 3-4 years, as the cars today are so much better overall while the car's from the 00's are only incrementally better than the 90's cars they're based on while being more laden with 1st generation technology, more weight and less efficiency. Just my opinion of course...

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
1/24/15 11:49 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: In reply to Petrolburner: Yes. Get a Honda accord wagon. You'll have more room for cargo and be much happier with the handling, daily manners, and aftermarket.

New Fords seem to be in a different level than 10 year old Fords. They have finally caught up with the build quality of a 90s Accord.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
1/24/15 11:49 p.m.
NGTD wrote: Get a ZX5 hatch. It will do 95% of what a wagon will do and way more common.

Wagons seem more common than the 5 door hatch around here. My girlfriend wanted a 5 door hatch, but we could only find wagons and zx3s.

Petrolburner wrote:
RoughandReady wrote: Personally I've always driven imports
Camry wagon, Accord wagon, Corolla wagon, Volvo V50 T5 wagon, Volvo V70 wagon, Volvo V70 XC wagon, Mazda Protege wagon...are we on the same page yet? At that age and pricepoint I would totaly pick the Japanese wagon flavor of your finding.

I've considered all of those....except for the Volvos. I'm no huge fan of whiteblocks. I've owned tons of redblock cars, which is why I'm not afraid of not having much of an aftermarket. I've heavily considered a Camry wagon. 90s V6 Camry sedans are a dime a dozen around here. 5sfe's aren't very common though, wagons are less common, manuals are even less common. All three is a unicorn. Corollas are more often seen with manuals, but I rarely see wagons.

clutchsmoke wrote: In reply to Petrolburner: Yes. Get a Honda accord wagon. You'll have more room for cargo and be much happier with the handling, daily manners, and aftermarket.

I'm not keen on Accords. Just don't float my boat.

skierd wrote: You know, it might be worth test driving a Fiesta honestly. I get the virtues of frugality, but dang it new cars are so much better than cars from the early 2000's. Better safety, comfort, usually more fuel efficient, more reliable, and better driving. I'd personally go older to the 90's for a cheap DD or pony up for something made in the last 3-4 years, as the cars today are so much better overall while the car's from the 00's are only incrementally better than the 90's cars they're based on while being more laden with 1st generation technology, more weight and less efficiency. Just my opinion of course...

Ahh yes 90s cars. Fairly simple, all have rear fuel injection and most aren't death traps. An ugly decade though.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
1/25/15 9:43 a.m.

What about a Saab wagon?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/25/15 10:03 a.m.

Saturn? An SW2 should be the same price range or cheaper, much more common in a 5spd. Weighs several hundred lbs less and is likely to have a body in much better condition than a gen1 focus.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/25/15 10:24 a.m.

One thing I noticed on 1st gen Foci is the interiors didn't hold up well.

Overall I like the thought of "go 90's or go (almost)new". It just gets hard in the rust belt when cars get a 10-15 year lifespan.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
1/25/15 6:09 p.m.

The other option is just to bite the bullet and buy a truck.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
1/26/15 7:04 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Saturn? An SW2 should be the same price range or cheaper, much more common in a 5spd. Weighs several hundred lbs less and is likely to have a body in much better condition than a gen1 focus.

Hear, hear. I love mine.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
1/26/15 12:38 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote: The other option is just to bite the bullet and buy a truck.

Trucks are pretty nice these days. Some days I want one just so I can not care about gaping pot holes as much.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/15 12:55 p.m.

Big problem with 1st-gen Focuses: There is not enough footroom in the rear footwell to accommodate an adult human foot, as demonstrated by Jeremy Clarkson. I've confirmed it myself. If you were to try to get in, you'd have to put your feet in sideways and then rotate them out under the seat in front of you. I don't think I'm flexible enough to do it.

drdisque
drdisque New Reader
1/26/15 3:36 p.m.

A wagon with steel wheels, a manual, and a zetec didn't exist from the factory. The only Zetec Wagons were the ZTW package, which came with alloy wheels.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
1/26/15 7:42 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote:
RoughandReady wrote: The other option is just to bite the bullet and buy a truck.
Trucks are pretty nice these days. Some days I want one just so I can not care about gaping pot holes as much.

I hate these days trucks. Too big, too fancy, too complex, too high bed walls, too high ride height.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/26/15 8:35 p.m.

In reply to RoughandReady:

a 2wd 80's-90's f150 is less than $2500 on cl.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
2/6/15 11:36 a.m.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/4878044429.html

Econobox wagon, manual trans, appears to be in decent shape, $1300

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
2/6/15 12:12 p.m.

Honda Fit. Prefer the Fit Sport as it gets better fuel mileage. Pick a year, pick a color, they're all fun and have tons of room. Plus they probably have the best vision to the outside in every direction of anything in their class. Though the manual is much more fun than the slush-box. But the slush-box doesn't have that droning sound like the CVTS we're seeing a lot of lately.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CyhH35GGETFwhWDyvCbfeepRAyzbYeb7MM9c2ymYtTNOPeZFsGSPk7ln5kpHxYvP