1 2 3 ... 5
wspohn
wspohn New Reader
8/17/09 12:18 p.m.

Been thinking about possibly going for a GSX Solstice.

Does anyone own one and if so, what has your experience with it been?

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
8/17/09 12:27 p.m.

you mean a GXP?

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
8/17/09 12:29 p.m.

Just got a GXP coupe., Its quick. Did well stock at the Auto x. we need to stiffen up a few things. But it looks like it has a great deal of potential.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
8/17/09 1:03 p.m.

Are they going away when Pontiac does or will it stay around as something else?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/17/09 1:12 p.m.

Going going gone. I think production is scheduled to end shortly.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
8/17/09 2:11 p.m.

I'd give you my opinion, but every time I do that here, I get flamed by those that can't accept my viewpoint, so sorry.

Cotton
Cotton Reader
8/17/09 2:26 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I'd give you my opinion, but every time I do that here, I get flamed by those that can't accept my viewpoint, so sorry.

I'm one of those people that I guess Bravenrace thinks flames him mercilessly. I really don't agree with him on some of his points and don't care to get into it again as it has been beat to death. Regardless I'll give you my thoughts. We bought ours new in late 06 as an 07 model and have had 30k trouble free miles. It has been to the dealer once for a recall involving a leaking rear diff. It's an excellent handling car and the power delivery is strong and very linear unlike most turbo cars. I have a Porsche 944 Turbo I also use as a DD and the power delivery is night and day between the two. I would actually prefer the Solstice GXP coupe, but this car is my wife's and she likes convertibles, so she got one. We picked the GXP over the Sky Redline because we liked the styling better as they are the exact same car underneath. I recently ordered the Stage I kit which will bump power up to 290HP and 340TQ while retaining. the warranty, but I haven't installed the kit yet.....soon though. I think there is another forum member that has it installed and may report back.

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
8/17/09 2:35 p.m.

Is the Sky also cancelled? (I would assume so since they're built on the same line.)

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
8/17/09 3:11 p.m.

Yes, they're both gone

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/17/09 3:13 p.m.

yesh, the Sky will not be built for Roger Penske's Saturn...

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
8/17/09 3:15 p.m.

The Sky is an Opel. Do a search on the Kappa body.

SO it will still be built in Europe. I would bet that chevy brings it in and re badges it. Since the only other 2 seater would be the vette at 2x the cost.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
8/17/09 4:22 p.m.
bam2002 wrote: The Sky is an Opel. Do a search on the Kappa body. SO it will still be built in Europe. I would bet that chevy brings it in and re badges it. Since the only other 2 seater would be the vette at 2x the cost.

No. All three, including the Opel version, are built on the same line in DE. The Opel version is shipped across the pond (exported).

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/17/09 4:35 p.m.

We have a GXP coupe at the office right now. I'm finishing up my video review and it should be on our YouTube channel this evening, and on the site soon as well.

Long story short: Fun to drive, tough to live with.

jg

nderwater
nderwater Reader
8/17/09 6:32 p.m.

When I drove the Solstice GXP, my overall impressions were that it didn't feel as quick as I expected and the abundant grip made for handling that felt somewhat numb until pushed hard, where it started to come alive. I liked the styling a lot, but it wasn't enough to make me consider trading in my turbo Miata.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
8/17/09 7:57 p.m.

I think that the Coupe will become some what collectible considering its ultra short production run.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/09 9:10 p.m.

Doesn't hurt that it looks so cool. Haven't seen one in the flesh, but the pictures look awesome.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
8/17/09 9:30 p.m.

I really liked the Sky Red Line. I thought it did its job perfectly. It felt faster than my dad's 260 hp Z4 3.0si. And it cost 1/2 as much. Sure, the seats' recline function was performed by a large knob that was placed so that you have to open the door to turn it, but I could live with that.

Putting the top up and down was a much easier job than doing it in my Z3 too. No really, it was. And the Z had the automatic top. I don't know why people complained so much.

There is a Solstice GXP that absolutely owned its class in my old auto-x club. It was stock. And the coupe is drop-dead sexy. I wish the Saturn car ended up coming in a coupe and with less chrome bling.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/18/09 9:09 a.m.

There was a maroon Solstice cope at the Mid Ohio ALMS race, they so should have made that car from the start, way cool looking.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
8/18/09 9:38 a.m.

i really liked the way the coupe looked when i saw it at the auto show earlier this year, but it looks like it'd be tough to get much in through the rear "hatch" since only the window opens and it narrows to the rear.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
8/18/09 10:02 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: I think that the Coupe will become some what collectible considering its ultra short production run.

The main reason I was looking at them a month or so ago... I'd be willing to bet a GXP Coupe kept in good condition has a better than average chance of being a future collectible car.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
8/18/09 10:27 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
jrw1621 wrote: I think that the Coupe will become some what collectible considering its ultra short production run.
The main reason I was looking at them a month or so ago... I'd be willing to bet a GXP Coupe kept in good condition has a better than average chance of being a future collectible car.

Is there any other mainstream car manufacturer that had such a limited run body style?
Any examples that can be compared to the Solstice Coupe?

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
8/18/09 10:35 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Is there any other mainstream car manufacturer that had such a limited run body style? Any examples that can be compared to the Solstice Coupe?

The most recent that comes to mind (and the only one I've paid much attention to) is the '06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP edition. 2000 were built w/ about 450 for the US market. Original sticker was about $31K. "Used" versions (driven w/ average mileage) currently sell in the mid $20's and "well kept" copies with low miles sell for near sticker.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/18/09 4:07 p.m.

Video's up here.

Man that coupe is pretty. Can't see a darn thing out of it, but it sure is nice and curvy.

jg

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
8/18/09 5:26 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Video's up here. Man that coupe is pretty. Can't see a darn thing out of it, but it sure is nice and curvy. jg

That car is a stunner-might have to add one to the fleet. Video=comedy!

Tighe
Tighe New Reader
8/18/09 5:36 p.m.

I'm a tech at a Buick and Chevy dealer. I'm just waiting on the word that the car is available for dealer trade to pick up a 2009 Solstice GXP Coupe. Regarding the limited production run I think the last digits of the VIN are something like 000862. If I do manage to get my hands on it I can report back. I'm curious to see how it compares to my current super fly whip, a '97 Ford Ranger.

Let's hope this pans out. GRM and SCCA stickers standing by.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WnRLdHMvlprfNexagqRXECFt9xHoY8CYLZBAsTggQRFJGzIbS2hux7cJViCEZstZ