1 2 3 4 5
jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
8/18/09 6:15 p.m.

I like the video!
Was that shots of Aunt Jamima drank straight from the bottle?
Nice job getting a bird into the video.

Is there really nowhere to stow the roof panel?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/18/09 6:20 p.m.

The roof panel stores perfectly directly above the driver's head. Locks into place and everything.

jg

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/18/09 7:02 p.m.

Vid = funny as hell (was that Aunt Jemima or Kahlua?) but right on the mark too. Why is GM getting rid of their best platforms right when they need them most? Kappa and Zeta could be the basis for a whole lot of new RWD fambly cars which could yank them out of the sales doldrums.

BTW, jg: congrats on the new more aerodynamic chassis!

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
8/18/09 7:03 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: The roof panel stores perfectly directly above the driver's head. Locks into place and everything. jg

You big bunch of pansies-I removed the entire convertible top assembly from my '68 XKE and never missed it. The Cobra? Mine doesn't have one-just go faster!

JG Pasterjak
8/18/09 7:16 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: (was that Aunt Jemima or Kahlua?)

Kahlua. And I just checked my desk drawer and the bottle is still in there. I'm totally firing the prop department.

For me the big question with the Solstice is "Is it better than a Miata?" And it's a tough one.

Dynamically, the Solstice is awesome,and the race results seem to bear that out. Functionally, though, the Miata wins hands down. The Solstice has no interior cubbies. At least, none that you could actually reach while driving. I mean, thanks for the USB connector so I can connect my iPod, but at least give me a place to put the iPod.

Which bring me to another, only slightly related rant: Hey, you, Mr. OEM car manufacturer (excpet Nissan and Audi). Your iPod interface system sucks entire herds of squirrels. Why do you try and reinvent it. Either mimic the same command structure that the device already uses, or just let me use the commands on the device.

jg

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
8/18/09 7:55 p.m.

Holy crap, JG. That was hilarious! I liked the second shot of you at the computer where you were clearly not typing the letter (or editing a magazine), but instead doing what we all kind of suspected you guys do all day. World of Warcrafting.

Very good video!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
8/18/09 9:15 p.m.

That video reminded me-Does a video copy exist of the "Medicine mommy" challenge banquet speech from a few years ago?

JG Pasterjak
8/18/09 9:29 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: That video reminded me-Does a video copy exist of the "Medicine mommy" challenge banquet speech from a few years ago?

Nope. And furthermore I lost the original file at some point. That was some of my better work, I'm pretty bummed about that.

jg

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
8/18/09 9:34 p.m.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/18/09 11:31 p.m.
Ian F wrote: No. All three, including the Opel version, are built on the same line in DE.

...which is about 2 miles from where I work, and which has been offline for about a month now. Production has already ceased.

Tighe
Tighe New Reader
8/19/09 4:34 p.m.

Well nevermind. The car was still available and the dealer was taking bids, starting at $60,000. Picked up a 2009 yellow GXP convertable with 300 miles on it instead. I'll report back when it comes in.

Cotton
Cotton Reader
8/19/09 4:45 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: I like the video! Was that shots of Aunt Jamima drank straight from the bottle? Nice job getting a bird into the video. Is there really nowhere to stow the roof panel?

There is an optional folding top for the targa Solstice.

There is really no good way to store the stock targa panel in my 85 911 either. I mean you can fold it and put it in front, but the constant folding and unfolding over time cracks the vinyl and it has to be recovered. I usually just leave the roof at home, but sometimes I try and awkwardly wedge it behind the front seats, which creates it's own set of issues.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
8/19/09 6:09 p.m.

So, the video is the perfect place to see another GRM Girl, but all htat we get is a disembodied voice?

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
8/19/09 7:23 p.m.

Yea we have the soft top for our car. Its a good solution. But takes up 1/2 the space in the back when stored.

Its a fun car, not a daily driver. We have the 4 door hatch with the Auto for the daily grind.

racer_ace
racer_ace New Reader
8/19/09 8:15 p.m.

JG,

The video was spot on. Well done sir!

JG Pasterjak
8/19/09 8:36 p.m.
mistanfo wrote: So, the video is the perfect place to see another GRM Girl, but all htat we get is a disembodied voice?

That's All I married...

Actually she's doing all the driving as well, and SFX grip. Let me see if I have enough good stuff for an "outtakes" reel.

jg

EDIT: On the top. Yes, it probably could fit under the rear glass, but there's no way short of bending it (whch it will not do, being figerglass). The trick would be s to somheow easily remove the rear of the car (B/C pillars and around the hatch) to allow the roof to set flat on the rear package shelf. sizi-wise it might just work.

jg

spdracer315
spdracer315 Reader
8/19/09 9:48 p.m.

No ones said it yet?! LS1 will fit!

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
8/19/09 9:49 p.m.

Or just accept the fact that you probably bought it because it wasn't the convertible and leave the roof on.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
8/20/09 3:51 a.m.

maybe we can get the wizard to make gm corporate go away, and Pontiac stay....

i looked at a gxp recently at the dealer, i think i drooled a bit, which is a rare thing...

jikelly
jikelly Reader
8/20/09 1:19 p.m.
bam2002 wrote: The Sky is an Opel. Do a search on the Kappa body. SO it will still be built in Europe. I would bet that chevy brings it in and re badges it. Since the only other 2 seater would be the vette at 2x the cost.

Oh???

The Kappa survives??

I really, Really, REALLY, like the solstice and wish I could talk the wife into a coupe as the replacement for our Camry. The engine in the GXP is nice and I love the look of the car.

Though, I have to say that it vs. a used C5, well the C5 has to win that comparison. Eventually I will own either a Solstice or a C5 as my toy around/drive crazy car.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
8/20/09 7:02 p.m.

Nice looking and handling car -some of the Phoenix prepped cars are truly a blast to drive.

I would like to have a coupe...but I like the Z3 Coupe also....shame to see it die.

About the time they sorted out the Fiero they killed it too.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/21/09 9:19 a.m.

Our solstice review is now posted. If you haven't already, make sure to watch JG's video review

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2009-pontiac-solstice-gxp-coupe/

nderwater
nderwater Reader
8/21/09 1:40 p.m.
jikelly wrote:
bam2002 wrote: The Sky is an Opel. Do a search on the Kappa body. SO it will still be built in Europe. I would bet that chevy brings it in and re badges it. Since the only other 2 seater would be the vette at 2x the cost.
Oh??? The Kappa survives??

Kappa is gone. The Opel was a rebadged Sky, not the other way around, and was built on the same line as its siblings. Production ended three weeks ago.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/09 2:14 p.m.

JG's review is comedy gold. I counted something like 4 nerd jokes in there.

I doubt it was unintentional that JG drinks the same drink as Old Gregg from The Mighty Boosh.

EDIT: Old Gregg drinks Bailey's. That was Kahlua. Ah well....

jikelly
jikelly Reader
8/22/09 9:03 a.m.

Loved that video. Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. I know they needed to shrink their business model, but Pontiac, a brand they'd worked hard to rebuild and bring back buyers to by finally making good cars again??

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
782ZnHxVfyWH51IbhKDD79GW9opQ1x5j9c2STvhAxAnEFsQl75HChaYtIUogbtG4