prestonian
prestonian None
12/28/09 9:10 p.m.

Looking for an interesting ride that I can drive on weekends etc and wanted to ask about the long term values of the 928. I had a 1986.5 year model which I sold about 8 yrs back now that was rough, but car was fun to drive. I am now thinking of a 1991 thru 1994 model year. Can anyone provide some detail on if these cars will ever appreciate in value? And if so, what model and options would be preferred.

TIA

Roar
Roar New Reader
12/28/09 9:17 p.m.

In reply to prestonian: They ARE nice GT's and my Porsche shop owner friend says that they are much more reliable than the 911's. Don't worry about the appreciation, buy a good one, maintain and keep it! Roar

djsilver
djsilver New Reader
12/28/09 9:19 p.m.

In reply to prestonian:

This thread at corner-carvers doesn't directly answer your question but has lots of info and links to places that do have the answers.

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40328

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
12/28/09 10:35 p.m.

I just e-mailed that link to a guy at work who owns a Porsche 928. He's been looking for hot-rodding ideas since he's started doing PCA track days this year in the 928, but parts are slim pickings.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/28/09 10:49 p.m.

I have nothing to add other than Buy the BEST one you can afford

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer New Reader
12/29/09 8:03 a.m.
Roar wrote: In reply to prestonian: They ARE nice GT's and my Porsche shop owner friend says that they are much more reliable than the 911's. Don't worry about the appreciation, buy a good one, maintain and keep it! Roar

If a 928 is what you want, then get one for that reason and enjoy it. Investment cars sit and collect more dust than value.

audifan
audifan New Reader
12/29/09 8:47 a.m.

As of 1993 they became 928 GTS's and this is the pinnacle of the breed and they current owners know it. they command top dollar I had a client buy a 1995 low mileage black/beige car for something around 50K$ 2-3 years ago. point a to point b they will slaughter a 911 on a public road, and you will arrive with nary a wrinkle in your armani suit. A true GT car. But be ready to spend to get the car up to snuff. Alot of owners neglect the needed maintenance and upkeep, they are willing to put in enough to keep the thing running and then the faucet runs dry. So if you are looking for a project the leap in or pony up the cash and buy a car that is ready to rumble. Overall if you have owned one in the past you already know its virtues you just need to pick your price point. Like stated above buy the best one you can afford. take a knowledgeable 928 person w you to look over the car, PAY HIM to do this in the long haul if you are serious it will save you lots of money in the fact that you will be able to bargain with the knowledge gained and or either walk away from the car because of its issues. Another similar alternative to a 928 though no nearly as fast, BMW 6 series 635csi,633csi,M635csi,M6. the two M cars are faster than the others but still not 928 fast but things are much less scary on them than the 928 $ wise. happy hunting.

924guy
924guy Dork
12/29/09 9:07 a.m.

Late model GT's are going to cost, big time, and even if you have deep enough pockets, every mile you drive them will cost you in eventual resale dollars. GT's can cost you in the range of a newer used caymen!

But for half the price, you can probably find a low mileage mint 928 S4 (late 80's) that you can actually drive and enjoy, and it "should" at least hold its value.

appreciation is always a gamble, an early 90's 911 speedster is probably a better bet, or a new boxter spider, is sure to be a collectible.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/29/09 12:55 p.m.

All I know is the 928 is the only front engined P-car i have any interest in

skruffy
skruffy Dork
12/29/09 2:12 p.m.

The 928 was never a car people longed to own, so I think the investment potential is pretty minimal. However, the 90's GTS is probably getting close to the bottom of it's depreciation curve, but I doubt you'd ever get anyone to pay more than the $50k or so it takes to get into a really nice one now.

Manuals are rare and probably the most desirable from a collector standpoint.

Cars as investments are rarely a winning proposition. After you factor in what it costs to maintain, store, insure, etc. a car for x years I doubt you'll be making money. Every now and then there's a big surge in the collector market, but that's usually confined to muscle and pre-war cars. Those cars you see selling for a half-mil on Barret-Jackson usually have more than that in the restoration or are near zero mile 1-of-few cars that got mothballed when new.

joepaluch
joepaluch New Reader
1/15/10 8:32 a.m.

The only "desirable" model in the 928 line is GTS.

Limited production on the best of the cars does the trick. The 928 as nice following, but all are depreciating or are flat. The only car of any value would be the GTS.

However the 87 and up S4 and GT versions are still very nice cars that have 95% of what the GTS has at more normal price point. Find a good car and they are fantastic without breaking the bank. My parents own a 90 S4. Great car. Still not "worth" anything, but fun anyway.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/10 11:34 a.m.

If I was going to get one I would look for an s4. Not allot of $$$$ for what was a supper car at that time. I have driven an S4 at 3x the legal limit (60MPH) and it still had more. It would have easily made 200 MPH. Since it was a grey market car I never did find out if it had any ind of limiter on it.

Absolutely one of my alltime favorite cars!!!!

pres589
pres589 Reader
1/15/10 11:51 a.m.

You know, if the 928 in any variant was capable of 200 mph, I think we would have heard about that by now...

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
1/15/10 12:19 p.m.
turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/10 12:21 p.m.

There was a guy on the 924board.org that was building a twin turbo 928, not sure if he's made any progress on it or not yet. Some of the pictures were impressive looking though.

ccrelan
ccrelan New Reader
1/15/10 4:47 p.m.

The Devek "white car" was good for 200 mph and was a regular in the Silver State Challenge. They drove the car from CA to and from the event. It had a stroker motor.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum/539713-top-speed-formula.html

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
1/15/10 6:09 p.m.

A 928 can lap Gingerman entirely in 3rd gear.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
1/15/10 6:17 p.m.

The "White Car" is the only one I have seen that actually documented 200mph. Another guy came really close. IIRC 500 crank HP should be enough to do it. Just a turbo or two away!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/10 7:45 p.m.

i worked with a guy who had a supercharger on his 928GTS. sick car, very quick.

Josh
Josh Dork
1/16/10 8:46 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: 171 MPH

That article says the car later did 180 at Nardo though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8MRgshOLcuppWVnZHYbztzAi02EIvNviNo8tRIxwC0XQK7lOHQfIyPVQgJUUaw6F