1 2
aircooled
aircooled Dork
11/24/08 11:14 p.m.

Honestly if it was anywhere near April, I would think that is a joke.

Ferdinand must be reaching some pretty high RPMs at this point...

MCarp22
MCarp22 New Reader
11/24/08 11:27 p.m.

The Panamera is the answer to the question that nobody berkeleying asked

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
11/24/08 11:43 p.m.

quadraporte................it was asked and answered,

Mental
Mental SuperDork
11/25/08 12:10 a.m.

16.3 feet long?!?! Thats almost a Suburban

carzan
carzan New Reader
11/25/08 7:05 a.m.

I guess I'm in the minority, too. I like it. Lamborghini has been building four-door sedans for decades and I don't see any real "dilution" to their name. Why should Porsche not compete in another market segment where they can excel? Personally, I'd rather see this CAR built instead of the SUV Cayenne which I feel is a far bigger perversion of the marque. We pick on the big three for not looking ahead and developing new products that might keep them afloat. Porsche seems to be doing everything right and I applaud the effort. BTW, both Porsche and Lamborghini either have in the past, or still do produce farm tractors.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
11/25/08 7:50 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Yeah, this thing just looks disfigured to me. Porsche makes sports cars, and they have a *very* powerful brand when it comes that market. I didn't get the logic in diluting the brand with the Cayenne, and I don't get it with this. Seems to me that they're selling later brand strength for a few bucks now.

Porsche was an engineering firm first, designing and engineering cars (and other things) for other companies. Sports cars were only part of it's business (and in the late '80s, it was the engineeriing side that kept the company afloat when sports cars weren't selling).

Now things other than sports cars continue to pay for sports car and race car development.

As for the Cayenne, it didn't compete with the sports cars, and in fact complimented them. With many Porsche sports car owners also owning a luxury SUV, why shouldn't BOTH vehicles in the driveway be a Porsche?

Same for a sedan.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
11/25/08 7:54 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: quadraporte................it was asked and answered,

You're quite right. In any segment of the market, only one manufacturer should be allowed to make a vehicle. We can eliminate dangerous capitalist competition that way, and like school uniforms keep individuality and its resultant jealousy out of the classroom, we can eliminate it from our roadways, too.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/25/08 8:07 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: As for the Cayenne, it didn't compete with the sports cars, and in fact complimented them. With many Porsche sports car owners also owning a luxury SUV, why shouldn't BOTH vehicles in the driveway be a Porsche?

Great point. A good friend in Kansas City drives a Cayenne every day and then uses it to tow his 997 track car to track days. He loves both automobiles for their intended purpose.

And, going by my earlier post, Porsche made approximately $56,000 from his combined purchases!

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/08 8:38 a.m.

I liked my version better ;)

From CARS

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
11/25/08 9:52 a.m.

I like it, but I'm holding out for the Station Wagon version with the fold down back seat that hauls three large dogs.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
11/25/08 10:06 a.m.

Hey wait, I've got it!!!! A four door Corvette!!! It's the answer to all questions...

Oh wait, that would be a four door Miata, (anyone feeling sick yet?)

If I had more time I would Photoshop up a version of each so that those who like this Porsche can see what others are seeing.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
11/25/08 10:52 a.m.

Porsche did a 4 door versipon of the 911 in the '60s, so they've been thinking about it for a long time.

There have been 4 door Corvettes over the years:

But, GM makes a 4 door sedan, including a couple with Corvette engines. Mazda already makes a performance oriented 4 door sedan, as well. So a 4 door Corvette or Miata would be redundant. Porsche however, would like to enter into a fairly small market with a type of car they dont' currently make. I dont' see a problem with that.

Not to say i think the Panamera is an attractive car, but I can see the business case for it for this particular company.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
11/25/08 11:22 a.m.
Mental
Mental SuperDork
11/25/08 12:38 p.m.
aircooled wrote: ... Oh wait, that would be a four door Miata, (anyone feeling sick yet?) ...

EricM
EricM Reader
11/25/08 1:36 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: the 914 is badass

I agree.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wIGWbkR8j5QT8EE15Sht35artghahJF2Rf0fIBrauxtjt5iOTHuIrH1IunCdypjt