1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
3/9/14 6:56 p.m.

The wife was offered a job this weekend (she's been a Hairstylist for 11 years, but also has a Bachelor's in Business). It's for a small, but growing hair product line, and she will essentially be doing a lot of traveling, if she takes the job. She would be taking a home a significantly larger amount than now, but we don't know exactly how the car thing would work (her writing off the miles, a company allowance, etc.)

While her base model 2010 Mazda 3 isn't a bad car, she would like something a bit nicer/quieter/roomier since she would spend a lot of time driving.

I was thinking along the lines of a Lexus IS or BMW 320ix, but it seems most of the leases on luxury cars are 10k miles a year, and I suspect she would be driving more like 20k year, maybe more.

Another option that might work since it appears Ford will allow you to buy higher mileage leases would be the Taurus SHO which she fell in love with last year until she saw the price tag.

What other cars would you guys consider?

I should hopefully have some more details about what the car situation will look like tonight after some the higher ups are done taking her to dinner.

Smirnus
Smirnus New Reader
3/9/14 7:00 p.m.

Keep her car for three months, see how the cash flow is, how the company works, if she likes the job. The new Hyundai's are nice road trip cars and hybrids are an option.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
3/9/14 7:17 p.m.

Oh she definitely wouldn't make a move immediately, she's the far more sensible of us.

I'm just excited at the prospect of going car shopping with her and her possibly being able to get something really nice.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/9/14 7:43 p.m.

I think waiting a few months is a great idea. If she truly ends up driving a lot, i would make sure and do the math on fuel cost vs vehicle price. Do enough driving and the hybrids more than pay for themselves.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/9/14 8:21 p.m.

You know it really just depends on the company and how the reimburse you and what the requirements are in the car. My last company would pay $550 a month plus mileage but you were responsible for the gas and maintenance. Also, the car had to be under 4 years old to get the car allowance.

I did 35K a year in a Mazda 3 because it was cheap to buy, own, and maintain. I had it paid off in 1 and a half years and just set the money aside each month for my next car. I quit the job before I needed a new work car so that just became my wife's car down payment.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/9/14 8:26 p.m.

TDI Passat, Jetta, or Beetle. The Hybrid Fusion, SkyActiv D Mazda6 is still coming I believe. BMW also has a few diesel options up in the 40's. Audi has also put the A6 TDI out. All of these can be had for = or < Taurus SHO money.

Taurus is an option but fuel economy is down from it's exterior-ly smaller, interior-ly similar stablemate Fusion. Not to mention sticker is up, way up on the Taurus by comparison.

My Mom loves her Kia and many on here love Hyundais, but to me, they feel cheap. Stylish but more of a "look but don't touch" type of thing. Just personal opinion, try them you may like them.

Honestly there are a few gas direct injection cars out there that really beg the question the point of the diesel. The 10%+ up charge for diesel fuel then you add the diesel engine cost penalty, and it is just about a wash till you hit mega mileage.

Smirnus
Smirnus New Reader
3/9/14 8:28 p.m.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/ctd/4361969649.html

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/ctd/4361991336.html

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/9/14 8:50 p.m.

Just want to point out that plug-in cars lease really well right now. It will certainly take some effort to make sure you have the right car for your needs. My Volt leases like a 20k car, with the federal tax credits going to the lease payment. They're not for everyone, but 40k cars may be in reach.

Smirnus
Smirnus New Reader
3/9/14 8:52 p.m.

My thought is that work cars should be appliances, respectably modern without being extravagant so that your customers don't think they're getting taken for a ride. Trade in every 2-3 years, pocket extra change for the fun car that won't see as many miles.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
3/9/14 11:01 p.m.

A new is350 is an awesome car.

Drive a bunch of stuff, see what you like.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
3/10/14 5:56 a.m.

there are always 2 thoughts on salesman cars

1. buy a cheap car - and burn through it in 3-4 years

2. buy an expensive and comfortable car - you will spend 8-12 hours a day in it

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
3/10/14 7:35 a.m.
Smirnus wrote: http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/ctd/4361969649.html http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/ctd/4361991336.html

I don't really see how either of those makes sense/is an upgrade over her Mazda 3.

Gents, I get that many of you ride the cheap train without fail. This is about what SHE wants and if she takes the job, she wants something comfortable and NICE. We don't have to keep talking about nice vs cheap, etc. She already has the cheap commuter, she'd be looking for something nice.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
3/10/14 7:47 a.m.

New Toyota Avalon Hybrid. They're REALLY nice inside.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
3/10/14 8:27 a.m.
Mike wrote: Just want to point out that plug-in cars lease really well right now. It will certainly take some effort to make sure you have the right car for your needs. My Volt leases like a 20k car, with the federal tax credits going to the lease payment. They're not for everyone, but 40k cars may be in reach.

/thread. Maybe MKZ, depending on how the lease deals are?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
3/10/14 8:56 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: New Toyota Avalon Hybrid. They're REALLY nice inside.

This is a decent suggestion, but they can be pretty pricey. They are far more sport-luxury feeling than the previous generation. My mom has the V6 model, definitely a good road trip car. Super quiet on the highway.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/10/14 9:32 a.m.

I was working at a Ford promotional event last summer (local SCCA chapter was helping them out) and one of my favourite vehicles they had their for test drives was the MkZ Hybrid. If that's within budget I'd definitely check that out.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
3/10/14 9:55 a.m.

Wow, guys that MkZ hybrid is NIIIIIIIIIICCCEE.

If you guys have any other suggestions let me know.

I have a feeling she is going to take the job.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
3/10/14 10:19 a.m.

Lexus L200h? I have never been inside one, but it's a Lexus and a hybrid.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
3/10/14 10:31 a.m.

Loaded Prius or Lexus CT200H? Especially if she'd going to be putting a lot of miles on it off the interstate.

The Prius might not be "fancy" looking from the outside, but they can be equipped pretty well inside.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
3/10/14 10:49 a.m.

That would have been my suggestion too...the CT200H. Yes, it's a Prius caked with lipstick, but I like it. Has a lot of the luxury touches and will get good mileage. I know they were offering some nice leases, but not sure about mileage limitations.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
3/10/14 10:55 a.m.

I don't think she would be interested in a 4-door hatchback, regardless of MPG/Lexus/Luxury.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/10/14 1:29 p.m.

I don't think those others are actual plug in cars. The subsidies (and thus the low lease, relative to MSRP) are based on battery capacity, up to 16kwh, where federal stops at $7500. State offers may also exist. So, keeping in mind that Tulsa isn't in CA, your options are, from memory: Volt, Leaf, i-MiEV, C-Max Energi, Fusion Energi, Tesla Model S, Caddy ELR and that's about it. Most of the other options are in limited availability. The Tesla doesn't lease, per se, the ELR was priced by someone whose luggage combination is 1234. The i-MiEV is neat, but widely hated by reviewers, and selling so slowly, they skipped the 2013 model year. The Ford Energi models have small batteries, so they subsidy is lessened, making leases less attractive. I guess I'm really talking about LEAF vs Volt (and maybe Energi). So, I guess what I'm saying is that a LEAF or Volt is a cheap lease, if (and only if) it meets needs.

Good luck with the hunt.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
3/10/14 1:59 p.m.

Volt is the only real option. A pure electric wouldn't cut it, period.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/10/14 3:24 p.m.

I end up in rental cars for work often and have driven several Fusion hybrids lately. I LOVE them. They are reasonably fun to drive, have tons of amenities, get great mileage, are super roomy and very comfortable. Not sure on the pricing, but worth a look.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
3/10/14 3:31 p.m.

Hyundai and Kia's have a lot of luxuries for a small amount of money. BMW are of course nice, but I wouldn't bother with a low packaged model. Subaru are also nice.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e48alMeca0CDvEc9mXUPAVtt9UihqjW7tjHgyUG9Zdxtjq8X8SfvVljVptK9hQoh