NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
12/7/14 7:45 a.m.

I am looking at a potential tow rig. It is powered by the 2002 version of the Duramax.

Diesel gurus, please share your knowledge. Anything to look out for, etc.?

EDIT: I should add that I would be looking to flip it. I don't need a tow rig right now. It's cheap and local. Not a pickup, it's a utility body.

unk577
unk577 HalfDork
12/7/14 11:13 a.m.

Leaking injectors. LB7 has an issues. GM swapped them out and warrantied til 200k miles. If they have been replaced then just normal wear and tear

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
12/7/14 12:15 p.m.

Weak steering components. Injectors and cups. Transfer case can get a pinhole leak in it from a materials mismatch. Horrible body quality.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/7/14 12:42 p.m.

Utility bodies decrease value.

I know that sounds counter intuitive, but it's true. Trust me. I've been buying and utilizing utility bodies for over 20 years.

Even though Stahl and Readng and Knapheide will charge $4K for the body, and even though KBB and NADA say the body adds value, they don't.

The problem is the potential buyers market decreases by 90%. The number of buyers for utility bodies is MUCH fewer than a standard body.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/7/14 12:46 p.m.

Is it a standard cab, extended cab, or a crew cab?

I could be interested in buying if it is a crew. Or maybe if it is extended. No interest if it is a standard cab.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
12/7/14 1:27 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

It's a crew cab and right now it's crazy cheap.

EDIT: It's a long way from you (Canada) and you won't like the rust.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
12/7/14 2:07 p.m.

I understand that a utility body would significantly reduce the potential buyers.

The truck is a 2wd, crew cab, dually with a utility body. It would make a great service rig for a rally team.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
12/7/14 4:34 p.m.

Forget it. I found out the rust is worse than I thought!

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
12/7/14 5:55 p.m.

I was gonna say...rust + 2WD + Utility Body = value is about what the engine is worth, used and pulled, plus the rest of the truck as scrap.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/7/14 6:12 p.m.
NGTD wrote: In reply to SVreX: It's a crew cab and right now it's crazy cheap. EDIT: It's a long way from you (Canada) and you won't like the rust.

You're right. I hate rust.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/7/14 6:54 p.m.

If you're still looking for a Duramax, the LB7 is just as good as the others with the exception of the injectors. They do like to start leaking around the 100k mark. Fortunately, GM issued a repair campaign on them and most trucks got new injectors under warranty. If I am buying a used LB7 (2001-2004) I make sure the seller can provide documentation that the injectors have been replaced.

Its a royal pain to do it yourself, and about $3000-5000 to have a reputable shop do it. My dad just had his done two weeks ago. His started leaking at 112k, but he is out of the extended 7-year extended warranty so he had to pay out of pocket.

(but fortunately he had me around to talk him into 30-over injectors, a CAI, 5" exhaust, and a 5-position chip at the same time)

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
12/16/14 4:38 p.m.

So I passed on it.

It sold for $1800 on Govdeals.com. It showed up on Kijiji the other day for $8K.

We'll see if it sells!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zx5zbAcEtKwVfpCoxAvzracbpb1E9RijqtHhOk6Jr0HbK6XRboPcL3iZu8rPf1ci