mightymike
mightymike Reader
3/14/15 2:34 p.m.

I am getting ready to powder coat a set of new steel wheels. The problem is that the primer that came on the wheels is a very good product and it is extremely time consuming to remove in my blasting cabinet.

Can I only remove the primer from the "front" or outside face of the wheel, not the inward face of the wheel, and only powder coat the outside face? The primer on the wheels is as tough as paint and is a sealed, glossy primer not a chalky, unsealed primer.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/14/15 3:01 p.m.

Depends if the primer can stand up to the oven temperature. I wouldn't risk it myself. If the paint is that tough why powder coat?

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
3/14/15 5:47 p.m.

My powder coater has a particular sand blaster do all his stuff. He charged me $50 for the last Harley frame I had done. My time is worth more than that.

Blaster delivers it to the coater within an hour or so so it does not have a chance to rust.

mightymike
mightymike Reader
3/15/15 3:20 p.m.

In reply to bgkast:

I'm helping my brother with a project, and I don't think the manufacturer would have painted them the custom color.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/15 4:04 p.m.

Can you bake it before you coat it and see if anything happens to the primer? If it holds up you should be ok.

daeman
daeman Reader
3/15/15 4:22 p.m.

What Wally said.

Get the powder coater to bake a rim and see what happens. If it berkeleys the paint, it'll probably be easier to remove. If it doesn't, scotch brite the rims and get them coated.

mightymike
mightymike Reader
3/15/15 6:21 p.m.

Thanks-those are good suggestions. I am doing the powder coating myself so I can try a wheel first and see what happens to the primer.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TXqh72SyrZPqTnhtJp3zRDUPoYhe5lgUSHd5GXP9OVWTJ2uFWSYeDULipsmiW5de