1 2 3
CLNSC3
CLNSC3 New Reader
10/10/09 11:26 p.m.

My buddy has had a supercharged rwd automatic previa for years, the thing has over 200K on it and still runs like a top. It has had a hard life and has been relatively problem free! Great vans!

They also look very good lowered on some wheels, and there is a surprising amount of aftermarket support for these things!

driver109x
driver109x Reader
10/11/09 12:34 a.m.

Search youtube for drift Previa or Estima. Ive always wanted a Previa and thought about dropping a boxer emgine in it. afaik early na versions was available with a manual but are rare. later sc and awd only came with auto.

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty Reader
10/11/09 8:06 a.m.

I've lusted over one for years. I blew a chance to own a stick for $400 that was at an auction. I don't think anyone else knew what it was. It's a good thing they are built tough - take a look at book time to fix some things - scary. On the other side, when I'm rich I'm going to import a diesel version that other parts of the world got. Insanity at it's most awesomeness.

cwh
cwh Dork
10/11/09 8:14 a.m.

Can they tow anything?

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
10/11/09 8:46 a.m.

I've got a 93 All Trac with an automatic and no supercharger. It's a tad on the slow side and for a 4 cylinder sure does like gas, i get about 16mpg city and 20mpg highway.

That said, it has TONS of space, has 230K miles on it and shows no signs of giving up anytime soon. The A/C doesn't work (don't care), the rear defroster doesn't work, and it's got some minor rust starting on the quarters but everything else works just fine.

Aside from the gas issue it's about as much as i could ask for out of a van, if it's cheap i'd definitely go for it (i paid $975 for mine).

MostExaltedPotentate
MostExaltedPotentate Reader
10/12/09 9:14 p.m.

late to the party...

i've owned a '95 s/c for 10 years. For over 125,000 miles, It's been an exceptional vehicle. Rebuilt the starter and SADS bushing this year. Front struts replace in 2004 and for two wheel bearings, both right front. I cannot figure why my van hate right side bearings... and they require a press. It's not the easiest thing to work under but it seems to be over-designed. Maybe Toyota was worried that the shape was a wee bit radical for 1990. Add in the idea of a pancake engine and they threw the kitchen sink at it. Either way, they run, and run, and run.

I smacked on Avalon hubcaps when I bought it to bring it into the new century. Now I'm thinking about Lexus ES wheels for the next 5 years.

5sp w/ supercharger was not available

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
10/14/09 12:06 a.m.

Well, I went and looked at it. I forgot how bunk craigslist ads can be because this thing was r-o-u-g-h- ROUGH! It was a 5 speed supercharged alltrac, but the center diff/transfer case was making alot of noise and the interior looked like a squad of 19 chihuahas had torn at every piece of plastic and fabric in the interior.

As badass as it would have been, I don't know enough about Toyotas to buy this as a DD and bring it back from how it was. Well, not enough for the price he was asking

andrave
andrave HalfDork
10/14/09 9:26 a.m.

I've always liked the way they looked and with rwd thought they would make a great burnout machine, lowered on some 18's, painted solid white. license plate: "toaster" lol

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/14/09 11:44 a.m.

I have never seen the combination of 5 speed, awd, and supercharged on one of these. Technically, it wasn't available from the factory that way, but I've always ASSumed that it would be possible to put the parts together like legos if you had the ambition. I've said before that if I ever find one that has the 5 speed, awd, supercharged setup already I'd buy it, but I don't think I have enough ambition to bother doing the work myself for a "cool"er minivan...that's kind of like having "good" cough medicine, still not really that great.

Bryce

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/31/13 9:56 a.m.

I'm reviving an ANCIENT thread! A 1996 Previa S/C got traded in at work. It has 84k on it, smells like it was owned by old people. Anybody have any recent experience with them? We had an NA one when I was a kid, it brought back a lot of memories looking at it last night. I could probably get it for $500 or so.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/31/13 9:58 a.m.

A supercharged Previa for $500 with those miles?

I would have bought it, THEN asked the questions.

Powar
Powar Dork
7/31/13 10:15 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: A supercharged Previa for $500 with those miles? I would have bought it, THEN asked the questions.

What he said^

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/31/13 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Haha. I'm totally guessing on the price. I work for a large used car dealer, and I saw it in the wholesale line. I can't believe they'd have more than $500 in it, but I'll check today on the exact price. The interior was a little smelly (but seats and carpet were mint), the roof needs some paint, and the check engine light is on, but it started up fine. If it's dirt cheap I might have to convince the wife that we need it...it may end up on the GRM classifieds if I do get it! Either that or my CR-V will end up on here.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
7/31/13 11:02 a.m.

I'm already old so I wouldn't notice the smell

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/31/13 11:04 a.m.

If you can really get it for $500 I will double your money and turn it into my new daily.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
7/31/13 11:08 a.m.

Can't believe that you A-holes have me searching CL for a minivan

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
7/31/13 11:21 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: A supercharged Previa for $500 with those miles? I would have bought it, THEN asked the questions.

Uh...yeah, couldn't have said it better myself. If it's in good shape, grab that bad boy.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/31/13 11:25 a.m.

... and if you get the AC option, it comes with a small refrigerator between the seats!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/31/13 11:46 a.m.

Pretty sure it has AC. I looked at it in the dark last night, so I'll check more today. It think it's just a DX, not an LE, because it doesn't have the dual moonroofs or alloy wheels or refrigerator. I'll let you guys know more once I find out the price today.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
7/31/13 1:34 p.m.

The only complaint my friend had about his Previa was the AC wasn't strong enough. Those vans have a lot of glass. He ended up having the windows tinted.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/31/13 3:24 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: The only complaint my friend had about his Previa was the AC wasn't strong enough. Those vans have a lot of glass. He ended up having the windows tinted.

The 96's had factory tint for that reason.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
7/31/13 4:05 p.m.

Friend of mine has it and loves it.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/31/13 4:08 p.m.

To supplement my tint response: they get HOT sitting outside in the FL sun even with the hi zoot factory stock tint on the 96's. The factory AC can catch up but it takes a bit.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
7/31/13 5:01 p.m.
sobe_death wrote: Haha^^ I think that Mitsu actually sold the chassis to Toyota for that little wedge van. I think they were called "Star Wagons" and had a 4G64 in them. What about an old A100?

I thought about buying one once and then I drove it.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
8/1/13 12:14 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

We had a Previa when I was a kid and we moved from Nova Scotia to Georgia. The AC went out around North Carolina...let's just say that Canadians and Southern heat in July don't do so well with no AC. It was a long trip.

Unfortunately, I was way off on my price guesstimate. The people who traded it in made out like bandits, cuz it would be $1800 or so for me to get it out the door with my employee pricing. I think I'm gonna pass for now. Sorry guys.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z9jRrVClCCPf4sXC3We1cLvDIqhMTi6aygfaXRMBMHGFmsjgnqjehulaXmPEIZbb