1 2
itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/15 8:40 a.m.

Yeah. Sorry to the OP. That really sucks to see your car get hit by a train..... And then hit by hate.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/15 8:45 a.m.

I've always said that less then 4" of ground clearance on the street is asking for it. This car looks like it couldn't have had more than 2". I won't laugh but I don't have any sympathy either.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
3/6/15 9:13 a.m.

Don't get me wrong, some of these cars look GOOD, and they have dialed in their ride height, wheel offset, and tire stretch to a science. There's something that always catches your attention about a really low car whether you would drive it that way or not. But most of them are idiots.

I go to Euro Car Shows which are inhabited primarily by cars that dropped so low statically that they will scrape on a pebble or bagged. Half the static cars are dropped on $350 coilovers, have a cut out front sway bar, a frame notch so their axles don't bind, mangled wheel lips, and a smashed up oil pan.

The bagged cars have $3,500 worth of air suspension, almost as much in wheels, and each and every fender has warped wheel lips with burnt or chipped paint. Even with air they aren't smart enough to factor in real world usage fender clearance or they refuse to take advantage of the ride height adjustability of the suspension and they drive it nearly as low as they park it. Looks cool, but you now have caused about $1,200 or more of body damage!

I’m also sick of the idea that a car with just bags and wheels is “BUILT”. That’s entirely cosmetic. You haven’t done a damn thing to make it perform better. And don’t get me started on “stanced” S2000s, Miatas, STis, and R32 and Golf Rs that are basically wasting their performance potential.

When I get my 84 GTI done this spring I’m tempted to put a giant lower windshield banner on it that says “MOTORSPORTS STANCED”.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/6/15 9:14 a.m.

I am not sure you guys all understood my point.

I think stanced cars look ridiculous. That's irrelevant. The wrong intersection, however, would tear up a stock C5 Z06 just as badly. Let's get some facts before we blame the 'low'.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
3/6/15 9:36 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I've always said that less then 4" of ground clearance on the street is asking for it. This car looks like it couldn't have had more than 2". I won't laugh but I don't have any sympathy either.

I've had daily drivers with an inch and a half of clearance static. Spent many years driving them without problems.

cars like this:

And these:

A lot of you guys with zero expereince are pretty clueless and insulting about lowered cars.

My current project will be as low as that Falcon static:

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/15 9:43 a.m.

I'm not hating without experience, I have a car that's right at 4" and I have plenty of problems with it. I know there are certain parking lots I can't drive it into because the speedbumps are too tall. People getting away with F1-like ground clearance must live around the smoothest, most speedbump-free roads in the world.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
3/6/15 9:55 a.m.

I dont necessarily agree with some stance practices (read:stretched tires) I have a lot of respect for the people that put the work in to show thier idea of a cool ride. Sucks to see somebodies ride get pwned by a train.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
3/6/15 10:00 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I'm not hating without experience, I have a car that's right at 4" and I have plenty of problems with it. I know there are certain parking lots I can't drive it into because the speedbumps are too tall. People getting away with F1-like ground clearance must live around the smoothest, most speedbump-free roads in the world.

You live on an island. I lived on both coasts (though spent most of my years in Seattle). Again, I have years of experience with cars that low, you don't.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/6/15 10:58 a.m.

Man, it sure is getting personal around here lately.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/6/15 10:59 a.m.
JtspellS wrote: No issues with slammed kids, but this just goes to show if it's worth doing, do it right!

lol it's not about being old. I'm not that old and when I was a kid and "ricers" were a huge thing I hated that then too. It's dumb, look stupid, and I laugh at people scraping their cars when they drive over a nickle. Plus everyone who did it when it's over laughs at how dumb it was. Like my friend with his altezza light and F&F wrapped DSM.

I once saw a S2000 with what had to be greater than 10 inch wide wheels at almost a 45 degree angle. I was thinking when it stopped at this Starbucks that like 10 clowns would have come out.

I work at an Air Force base which obviously has speed bumps all over. Stance kids in the air force especially make me laugh because you can hear their car like it's a grinder lol.

I don't "hate" it it's comical to me. Like slapstick comical like the kind of laughs you get from like Family Guy or 3 Stooges or something. If you want to be a roadgoing version of Jar Jar Binks that's your choice.

unevolved wrote: Even if he was a stance kid, that still sucks.

Why? He actively made a dumb choice. It's like if someone blacked out their tail lights and head lights and used way too much tint to where nobody could see it at night and got into an accident as a result. Or that dumb cholo honda ricer trend where people were driving without steering wheels. Or ghost riding (look it up). We should just be glad that he didn't die for his sake and so someones dumb mother didn't get a mom's group together and start getting larger wheels banned or inspections like how it is in Australia. Idiots like this is how stuff like that happens.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
3/6/15 11:13 a.m.

A friend of mine had a stanced mazda 3. The thing looked really good, too, but it would scrape occasionally. Eventually, he wore through something in the front suspension, which snapped causing him to crash.

Thankfully he was driving very slowly so his was uninjured.

Someone needs to make a meme of austin powers driving a stanced car saying "I like to live dangerously"

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/6/15 11:18 a.m.
kanaric wrote:
unevolved wrote: Even if he was a stance kid, that still sucks.
Why? He actively made a dumb choice. It's like if someone blacked out their tail lights and head lights and used way too much tint to where nobody could see it at night and got into an accident as a result. Or that dumb cholo honda ricer trend where people were driving without steering wheels. Or ghost riding (look it up). We should just be glad that he didn't die for his sake and so someones dumb mother didn't get a mom's group together and start getting larger wheels banned or inspections like how it is in Australia. Idiots like this is how stuff like that happens.

I feel like you're overlooking the fact that it was a defective crossing. There was a spike sticking up. That could have caught any number of sports cars at factory ride height.

Not to mention the fact that someone accidentally causing something bad to happen to themselves doesn't make it a positive thing. It's almost the literal definition of an accident.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/6/15 11:24 a.m.
Chris_V wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: I'm not hating without experience, I have a car that's right at 4" and I have plenty of problems with it. I know there are certain parking lots I can't drive it into because the speedbumps are too tall. People getting away with F1-like ground clearance must live around the smoothest, most speedbump-free roads in the world.
You live on an island. I lived on both coasts (though spent most of my years in Seattle). Again, I have years of experience with cars that low, you don't.

The metro area of Seattle is probably even bigger than his island.....

I have a feeling this was a pretty level crossing(or else the car couldn't go over it anyways).....and from what 1320video's been saying today, the guy's insurance adjuster basically looked at the scene, and the car.....then said something along the lines of "You're not covered for actions caused by your own stupidity"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YXsOZWI4kRm9TahUDzyU4nixXryZXG5TBVwZHBr4xSZBPO7roGBW0lWUQXIP407O