93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/27/11 2:03 p.m.

How hard is it to find parts for one of these? And is it hard to make them faster? And for that matter are they any good?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/11 2:12 p.m.

This is a good place to start: http://www.505turbo.com/forum/

From what I have heard parts aren't too bad to find. I really want one someday.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/11 3:07 p.m.

I just missed out on a pair (85 and '89)

I was very sad.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
1/27/11 4:10 p.m.

Just to add fuel to the flames:

JohnW
JohnW Reader
1/27/11 7:03 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: ? And for that matter are they any good?

A friend of mine had one in his family many years ago. It was an '87 non turbo 505 automatic. It was big and kind of slow. But when I drove it I fell in love. I am not one to really care about ride quality, but that car rode extremely well, handled and steered far better than I thought it would, and just felt "right."

They're kind of a PITA, but, given the right circumstance, if I found any half-decent 505 with a manual transmission, I would buy it.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/11 10:47 a.m.

http://www.505turbo.com/videos.php

About 15 years ago I was sitting at a stop light and a 505 Turbo puls up beside me and it had a cage in it, very cool.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
1/28/11 10:52 a.m.

I learned to drive on my parents 505 turbo wagon. I remember that it rode fairly stiff and fell in love with the wastegate noise. It was one of the last ones and succumbed to poor maintenance. My dad never lubed the enclosed driveshaft during oil changes and one of the carrier bearings died a spectacular death at 125k miles.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
1/28/11 3:17 p.m.

Most of them are sedans with a sunroof, which means they have slightly less room for the driver than a fiat x1/9. I dont think they are that hard to get parts for, I think there are alot more of them around still than you might think. I think the numbers of manual turbo ones imported is in the mid double digits, but i could be wrong on that. Id drive a manual wagon if I could have another car to drive too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8rbhml9E4YgGsiw4R7utF7eInEgi2xEZgLJ1P3PVAx2AbEhq500CFzCY08cikZGt