Pat
Pat HalfDork
9/28/14 5:28 a.m.

With the car interest growing for my son, decided it was time to stop spending so much time "working" on a project with a goal in mind and start spending more time doing car stuff just for kicks.

This is my son and I in my stock SRT-4 on rock hard, cheapo street tires skating all over the place. Yes we sucked, but damn did we have fun! This is his second autocross and I suspect it won't be his last. He loves it.

http://youtu.be/yRUVZnggp20

Good times!

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
9/28/14 6:12 a.m.

He looked like he was having fun. You might need to get him a kart in a few years.

imgon
imgon New Reader
9/28/14 6:32 a.m.

That's awesome, I was lucky enough to ride dirt bikes with my kids for years when they were young. This will be a great way you can hang out with each other and enjoy the shared experience. On the plus side you know he is not out getting into trouble. Start saving now for the car he'll want to build when he gets his license! Have fun and enjoy.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
9/28/14 6:57 a.m.

Hey, I saw you two there yesterday. I was driving the matte gray RX-7. It was my first AutoX of the season. We spoke for a sec at the bathroom sink if you remember the guy in blue shirt and Lime Rock hat. Glad you two were having a blast; it was a great day and that new venue is nice too!

Pat
Pat HalfDork
9/28/14 7:01 a.m.
Armitage wrote: Hey, I saw you two there yesterday. I was driving the matte gray RX-7. It was my first AutoX of the season. We spoke for a sec at the bathroom sink if you remember the guy in blue shirt and Lime Rock hat. Glad you two were having a blast; it was a great day and that new venue is nice too!

Ha! Small world! :-)

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/28/14 7:18 a.m.

Fun times for sure.

Just wait, eventually he will be beating you in your own car.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
9/28/14 8:38 a.m.

Dude, that's AWESOME! Can't wait to terrify my kids in a few years

GCooper
GCooper New Reader
9/28/14 10:59 a.m.

That's awesome!

I'm hoping to get at least one of my daughters into cars. Right now my oldest thinks my car is too loud

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
9/28/14 12:17 p.m.

Lemme ask you, did you warn him about the fact that his head would weigh 20X as much? I didn't when I took my kids out for the first time. My poor youngest was 4 or something. I think he neck stretched by 3"

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/28/14 2:46 p.m.

Looks like you both had a blast! I love when he's waving at the workers on course. I don't think our local clubs allow pax without a driver's license. My son would love it, and I'd some more incentive to get back into autox.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
9/28/14 3:02 p.m.

Call around and ask...This particular club. (Capital Driving Club) gave me the green light as long as he had a current helmet and was strapped into the car in a manner that would be legal on the road. Sean is about to turn 10 but is fairly small, so I pulled his booster seat out of the back, strapped him in the front and we had at it! I highly recommend getting out there with the kids if you can. It really put the fun back in it for me...reminded me that I started messing with cars for kicks and is a great way to pass the "sickness" down.

Nothing beats the thrill he had on his very first autox run, which I also got video of. After that run, I went through the explanation of the helmet weight and holding on a bit better.

His first run ever:

http://youtu.be/h7R1r8hSVnM

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
9/28/14 3:06 p.m.

Very cool. I took my 12 year old son out to the autoX today and he had a blast jumping in different cars cadging rides. And since I ran the wagon he even rode in the backseat a couple of times.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/28/14 6:16 p.m.

That is very cool!!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
omsottYCVP79is6YFVhbeuDfcuDliK7kXXLszCTHSznothcBLnSQKkgtpgXGNIvG