ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
6/11/08 4:51 p.m.

hell i have been thinking for a while....(it might be a bad thing at times) about doing a class teaching a non credit class at the local college. the idea i have thought about since i also formed the auto club at the same place in 2004. the idea of a class offered for how to get into motorsports would be something that might be nice to have. i know i would have loved something like that when i got tired of of demo derbys in 2000 and went looking for something that was not circle jerking or going in a str line. sorry to any one here that likes them. what i am looking at doing is a two hour class that cover the different levels of racing and even lots of different styles of racing to get into. also would cover how to get into the crewing and helping out at events and different groups that you talk to.

the one actriacal from GRM to get into motor sports was very good in braking things down for risk, cost and what you would need, i waould expand on that and include some even cheaper racing styles and more grassroots...like lawn mower racing...

what i need help with is laying out a formatt for the class, what to include and is i should include some very short vids of the more off beat stuff. should i do power point for the idea which might now be a bad thing with slides. thanks. jason walters

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/11/08 5:38 p.m.

I think a lot of the ins/outs of the team and how it should operate is fairly well documented and definitely varies by the person telling the story, so that should be easy enough to manage. Heck, even GRM has been publishing the "how our team runs" series for a while now that could easily be referenced by the rookie even though it's about a pretty solid team with bunches of sponsors running in national/international events.

The tricky part (and most valuable for a local class, IMO) would be documenting what classes run locally and regionally, how they differ, and the basics of what it takes to get into, operate in, and be successful in each. Hell, I feel like you could dedicate a few hours alone to just deciphering SCCA classes without even getting into the benefits/costs of each. On top of that, most areas have several smaller local organizations, plus NASA if you're lucky, that have their own classes. If you're running a series, spec class, etc. then you could get into the dates, tracks, etc. typically used as well.

The local/regional class part would probably take up half of the time the class has, but would easily take 5 times as much effort to put together IMO. I'd love if this type of stuff were well documented where I'm at, I've had a hard time finding good info on classes run locally and regionally.

Bryce

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
6/13/08 5:01 p.m.

this idea is more aimed at types of racing, not classes per say, like circle track, drag, autocross, motocross, rally racing, ice racing, demo derby, working at events and thing like that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hGgXLOp5LRNk52etm3S0mZ3GO8u4uPFfdzQQqiGppMpXF7OFKevsPpMmwfa52Z2s