No Time
No Time UberDork
10/21/24 9:26 p.m.

I just replaced the clutch on my 2009 Miki Cooper S, and used Redline MTL that I had from another project to refill gearbox. 

When I looked up the Mini on the redline site, the MTL (75w80 GL-4) was what was recommended, which was great since I had 3 unopened quarts sitting in my shed.

I noticed there was a sticker on the gearbox saying it was filled with MTF-LT-4. From what I can find online the MTF-LT-4 is 75w90.

Being in New England, is the Redline MTL going to cause any problems (short or long term)?  I'm not expecting it to, but figured it was better to ask now, than have something fail in the future.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/21/24 10:03 p.m.

The only thing a guy would notice, short term, is if the oil is too slick for the synchros.

I've found, over the years, if it crunches into second gear, keep putting lighter oil in until it shifts properly.😀  I ran an old Jeep Commanche for many years on atf...of course, the 2.5 had about 65 pound feet of torque.

No Time
No Time UberDork
10/21/24 10:51 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Thanks. I figured it would be fine, but wanted a second opinion.  

The shifting is fine, and no noise when shifting up or down through the gears, regardless of rpm. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aGrHaFwGgjJycmBj18o9kA7DzwH2C5rMVC9sW2jjvENjqBViiubnIyHlMDMkmdug