1 2 3 4 5 6 7
APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/5/23 9:48 a.m.

There are a bunch of valid reasons why I love trucks.  Some of them are in my post in This thread but they also compensate for my tiny hootus.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
10/5/23 9:57 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/5/23 10:31 a.m.
RevRico said:

I just want to note, publicly, that the click bait and rage bait articles and forum posts of late are really not attractive. 

I totally understand they drive engagement, but they also reinforce a lot of behaviors that this place is supposed to be above. 

The moment I see "#5 will blow your mind" - unless it is clearly ironic - I'm going to cancel the rest of my second 10-year subscription.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/5/23 11:04 a.m.

My lifestyle dictates that I must have a truck, even if I'm hauling air to work more so than hauling boats, cars, gravel, mulch, kayaks, engines, transmissions, or the impressive bivouac my family requires for camping trips.

I enjoy it because its more comfortable for commuting than my old M3.  My middle-aged butt appreciates the automatic transmission and supple ride these days.  I can't afford or park the amount of vehicles I want that are the BEST at any one task, so the old truck is my Swiss Army Knife.    

And given the number of times my friends ask to borrow it, I feel fortunate to have it around.  If I were a suburban professional dad and could only choose one vehicle, it would probably still be a truck.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/5/23 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

No. Simply no. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/5/23 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

Please stop............we come here for an escape from the politics.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/5/23 12:07 p.m.

If I didn't have a pickup truck, how would I drunkenly go pick up my mom the day she got out of prison from the train station in the rain?

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
10/5/23 12:35 p.m.

I have to figure that the truck thing is an image issue, and the higher gas cost with lower mileage is  secondary consideration.

When we moved house, we did it over several weeks. I decided to buy a vehicle second hand for al the delicate stuff (audio gear, antiques  etc.)  that I wanted to move myself rather than entrust to movers. I looked at trucks but they just didn't make that much sense for me - I ended up buying a Chrysler minivan with Stow-n-Go seats that fold underneath the floor leaving a flat deck for cargo. Worked far better than a truck with an open deck would have and if one wanted to, you could even get a 4 wheel drive version.

I turned around and sold the van after we had moved and the difference in price from what I had paid for it amounted to about 1/5 of what renting one would have been.

Unless you have to tow a heavy load, the minivans are great - I towed a 2000 lb race car and trainer with one and much preferred it to using an American full size station wagon.  A truck can certainly haul a bigger load, though.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/23 12:51 p.m.

Dogs love trucks.

People love dogs.

People love trucks.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
10/5/23 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Tyler H :

There's one reason I've mostly avoided owning a pickup truck - I'd get real annoyed with people asking to borrow it all the time, lol.

Maybe I just need one with a manual trans.

edit: or maybe I just need better friends that I wouldn't mind lending stuff to...

AhBNormal
AhBNormal New Reader
10/5/23 12:56 p.m.

One thing I noticed missing; nobody mentioned nobody NEEDS a race car.

The 2CV proved we'd all be better off, get the best mileage and blah, blah blah--at about 35 mph and does anyone really want to survive every collision?

I drive a 01 C1500 single cab, 2WD short bed that I assembled out of the junk yard in 2012. I think the donor count was 5. And it keeps ending up NOT at the farm in GA where it belongs but in Montana with my kids!??(I blame the In-Laws) My upside is that it parks easily repairs easily and is peppy. Single cab with 2 seats and a console, so nobody goes with grand pa anymore! Humans like personal space, it's an offshoot of individuality(IMHO the Soul actually), we humans are not usually swarm critters. Ya let folks do what they want and usually they will.

I'm old, I've been a lotta places and I've seen a lotta dancin'. You do you! Ain't nobody delivering happiness. PEACE!, Out!

AhBNormal
AhBNormal New Reader
10/5/23 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

GOSPEL TRUFF!

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
10/5/23 1:00 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/5/23 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

So you added your own political rant to it?

No. Simply no. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/5/23 1:25 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

Dogs love trucks.

People love dogs.

People love trucks.

It's tough to argue against this. Well done.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/5/23 1:32 p.m.
Chris_V said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

I was simply responding to a 5 year olds' tantrum. Didn't cuss or anything. I didn't think you guys would have a problem with it. Thought the rest of you were adults.

The best response to a tantrum is no response.

As for the rest of us being adults...........really? You've been on here long enough to know better. LOL

We are as sophomoric as it gets............it's why the GRM forum is so popular.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/23 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

One rant is wrong. Responding in kind isn't right though. They are being adults. Hence your hidden post. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/5/23 1:34 p.m.

Dogs love trucks.

People love dogs.

People love trucks.

This is the best reason on here.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/5/23 1:37 p.m.
AhBNormal said:

One thing I noticed missing; nobody mentioned nobody NEEDS a race car.

I have rectified that with a new post.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
10/5/23 1:39 p.m.

I was finally able to purchase my Dad's 1992 Dodge Ram 50, the truck I grew up with and learned how to drive in. For me, it's perfect- I can transport one or two kids, it has the ability to haul a frankly ridiculous amount of crap in that little truck bed, averages about 24 mpg around town, and is stoopid fun to drive.

It'll never beat a sports car, sure; but it can outmaneuver just about every soccer-mom mobile and bro-dozer out there.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/5/23 1:46 p.m.

Time to close the thread? 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/5/23 1:47 p.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

Hello.  Nice to meet you.  You are one of those people I was referring too.  You make lots of false assumptions in your response, but that's fun.  Enjoy trying to dictate how everyone on the planet lives their lives!  It's clearly working splendidly!  Have a nice day!  I may go shop dually trucks today just so I can drive my dog around.  He might enjoy that.  

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
10/5/23 1:51 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

Dogs love trucks.

People love dogs.

People love trucks.

It's tough to argue against this. Well done.

My dogs definitely prefer minivans and station wagons ;)

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/5/23 2:05 p.m.

I don't want to tell other people what to drive. That's what car magazines are for. I think the new trucks are boring. I also think my Maytag Washer is boring. They are appliances. You can buy whatever you want or not buy and wash your clothes in the sink. I really don't care. I like my old truck. My Border Collie likes the Mustang better because she gets the whole back seat to herself. Nobody else will fit back there and she has bones hidden back there that I can't reach. I'm not sure what Nixon has to do with racist homophobes who don't eat their vegetables but that whole mess sounds too political for me. Remember when I mentioned Satan here? Did you know that Satan drives an F250 Super Duty Crew Cab? He has all these demons to haul around and doesn't need to haul dirt bikes. To each his own, I guess.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
10/5/23 2:08 p.m.

Maybe I'm just kinda slow, but Tim's article didn't seem to knock trucks.  More of the mental wanderings of a car guy who noticed trucks seem to be more popular than before and was lamenting as to why that is?  He even admits his own hypocrisy in questioning a truck as a DD.

So while I don’t understand this truck obsession–and don’t even get me started on the Carolina squat–I am starting to understand my own hypocrisy.

Are we getting angry for no reason?

I mean, if we want to have something to argue about that's truck themed, how about this?
Why does anyone who doesn't tow 8k lbs or more at least once a week if not more, buy a diesel truck?  :D

-Rob

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7wnKSh8beAbJOhvsVX4HzfTWlQHr0dTFzXdpZJNvZFof1zi9V6Ju4DyliAMvx9tt