boro92
boro92
8/19/18 8:32 p.m.

Considering putting in NB top hats/bilsteins/hard S springs into an NA.

i tried searching but can’t find a definitive answer—will I be able to maintain factory height this way, or will nb springs jack up the car?  FWIW the car is a 97, so I imagine the weight may not be far off an NB.  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/18 9:31 p.m.

IIRC it will end up riding a little bit higher, at least my last NA did that when I put MSM struts on it.

If you put new top hats on it it'll ride a bit higher anyway as the ones on your NA are likely to have collapsed a bit.

boro92
boro92 New Reader
8/19/18 9:42 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Thanks boxheadtim!  A little height increase as in, still looks oem?  This is what I’m after, as I’d like the preserve the character of a stock Miata.  And indeed, my factory mounts are sagging because my stock NA doesn’t look like it did in brochures!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/18 10:08 p.m.

Well, to me the OEM look is already a little 4x4 so it looks a bit like a lifted 4x4 . OK, slight exaggeration, to those "in the know" it'll look a bit taller than stock, to Joe Q Public it'll very likely just look plain stock.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
8/20/18 7:05 a.m.

It will look almost exactly like this.  This is my 97 with 02 Hard S take offs so it has NB top hats/bilsteins/hard S springs. This is on 195/50/15 tires.

boro92
boro92 New Reader
8/20/18 7:49 a.m.

In reply to moxnix :

Thank you so much.  That photo helps tons.  It looks just fine!  How are you liking the hard s setup?

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
8/20/18 8:03 a.m.

I like it fine but since it replaced a R package spring setup with blown shocks my standards were pretty low.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/18 9:55 a.m.

1997s are some of the tallest Miatas from the factory, so it's almost impossible to get them to sit higher wink

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
8/20/18 10:55 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Do you still have those r spec springs?  

Yes

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SoAruqCKGZArW6nxUk1mn2iZAoRZqMrdQxxjMDANz7drIn21tUURa1FODY3Rhfij