amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/4/15 8:20 p.m.

So, wife and I bought our 2006 R53 MINI new. The only new car I've ever bought and the only car with an auto trans that I've ever had so I'm a bit ignorant about auto transmissions. It has the supercharged 1.6 and the 6 speed AUTOMATIC trans (for her). Both the wife and the car are keepers.

Apparently this is an Aisan trans. Very similar to the same pieces of E36 M3 used in VAG products with similar reliability. It's berkeleyed and needs replacement. Already tried a valve body and it sucked. Didn't engage 1st particularly well which caused clutch wear and now the oil is rather full of clutch like material. Didn't expect that to happen. Apparently, it's $7k just for the trans! http://new.minimania.com/part/NMD1030/Mini-Cooper-Automatic-Transmission-R52-R53-Remanufactured

Anyone know any sources to get a reasonable price on that trans?

Spending this much money on just a transmission has me wondering if there isn't another option like swapping in an engine and auto trans from a Honda or Mazda. I don't have an issue with the fabrication aspect of mounting the engine and transaxle and routing exhaust and such. That doesn't seem that hard to overcome. What I don't understand is the electronics aspect of it.

Google doesn't reveal any completed engine swaps unless I missed it.

Anyone want to offer some ideas and experiences?

Thanks.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/4/15 8:32 p.m.

Does this vehicle have to pass an OBDII emissions inspection/scan? If so, then ANY swap is out of the question...

Weird that the Aisin transmissions have a bad rap for you. Volvo and Toyota guys love them, they are known for being pretty stout.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/4/15 8:45 p.m.

I bet you can have it rebuilt for a fraction of $7000.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/4/15 9:47 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Does this vehicle have to pass an OBDII emissions inspection/scan? If so, then ANY swap is out of the question... Weird that the Aisin transmissions have a bad rap for you. Volvo and Toyota guys love them, they are known for being pretty stout.

Yes, must pass CA smog.

That's what I thought as well - until now... So frustrated...

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/4/15 9:48 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I bet you can have it rebuilt for a fraction of $7000.

Really? Where? Haven't found a local tranny shop willing to do it yet.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/4/15 9:56 p.m.

Get a used one that will pass a drive test and dump it before you start having many of the other issues they known for developing.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/5/15 12:27 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Get a used one that will pass a drive test and dump it before you start having many of the other issues they known for developing.

Nah, I like the one we have. It's in excellent condition except for the stupid tranny.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/5/15 12:49 p.m.

$7k? LS swap time.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/5/15 12:53 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7:

Not saying they aren't fun cars. Just saying that they are known for being as expensive to maintain as their larger, more expensive BMW cousins.

If you're willing to invest the money and use the transmission until it gets cheaper to buy a newer car, then get it rebuilt locally (I might buy a used one still and have that one rebuilt, swap, rebuild the original for a spare, etc.)

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/5/15 3:52 p.m.
turboswede wrote: In reply to amg_rx7: Not saying they aren't fun cars. Just saying that they are known for being as expensive to maintain as their larger, more expensive BMW cousins. If you're willing to invest the money and use the transmission until it gets cheaper to buy a newer car, then get it rebuilt locally (I might buy a used one still and have that one rebuilt, swap, rebuild the original for a spare, etc.)

Ahhh, I get it. I thought you were saying to get a used Mini. Doh!

I'd agree with that except I haven't found a place that rebuilds this tranny.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
1/5/15 3:59 p.m.

VW Dasher?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A6u7hUtH7lmos7lRzhq0hCP0jEuppeIeRuqCIJIqib9arl6at97Ko5hNz2G8sbmd