16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
2/17/15 9:37 a.m.

So as most of you know, you're not allowed to run coolant at most tracks. Water only. I'm in the process of freshening up a junk yard engine for one of our LeChumpRL cars, and I took the old 100k mile water pump off of it, to put on the water pump that only had 3/4 of a race on it, and the pump with only about 6 hours on it looked a million times worse than the 100k mile pump I took off of the engine. The impeller was very rusty. Would running some vinegar in the cooling system help? Is that even allowed? Will it change the heat displacement properties?

If vinegar isn't the answer, is there a track-legal option?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/17/15 9:46 a.m.

Photos? Sounds like the "new" one was of poor quality? Or did the pump sit for a while in the motor with some or no water in it? That would get things rusting in a hurry. You would be best off after the races to drain the water and add coolant and then run the motor for a while and store it that way. then come race day drain the coolant flush and add water for the race. Save the drained stuff for putting back in after the race.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/17/15 9:56 a.m.

Distilled water + water wetter.

Distilling/filtering makes sure all the iron and minerals are missing from the water... and water wetter is also a good lubricant for water pumps and anti-corrosive.

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
2/17/15 10:00 a.m.

Flush it with something like DEI's coolant system flush. When you put water back in, also put in an additive like Lucas Super Coolant to help inhibit rust.

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
2/17/15 10:01 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Distilling/filtering makes sure all the iron and minerals are missing from the water... and water wetter is also a good lubricant for water pumps and anti-corrosive.

Surprisingly to me, here's what Lucas has to say: "If straight water coolant is used, tap water or softened water is recommended. DO NOT use distilled water unless mixed with 50% antifreeze."

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/15 12:20 p.m.
ross2004 wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Distilling/filtering makes sure all the iron and minerals are missing from the water... and water wetter is also a good lubricant for water pumps and anti-corrosive.
Surprisingly to me, here's what Lucas has to say: "If straight water coolant is used, tap water or softened water is recommended. DO NOT use distilled water unless mixed with 50% antifreeze."

I've heard the same, and doesn't it say on the Water Wetter bottle to not use it with distilled water?

Edit: Maybe I'm misremembering, doesn't say that here:

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter%20Tech%20Info.pdf

Also I wouldn't leave vinegar in a coolant system for any kind of long-term use...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/17/15 12:38 p.m.

Who knew? I've been using the wrong thing for 15 years!

So, I'd say it probably does not that matter much. FWIW, I use distilled water when starting from home because minerals and such are supposed to be bad for aluminum heads/engines. I have used tap water. Well water. Whatever was handy when I was low in a paddock.

None of that prevents rust. That is what the water wetter does. Getting rid of rust already there, I'd use some sort of Prestone radiator flush chemical.

I have never had a rust or engine corrosion issue.

YMMV.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/17/15 4:00 p.m.

I wonder if a zinc would work here, works great in raw water cooled marine engines.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
slLbzqhjK7lL9jBJeSgZdfD0pNwFyByRp2zshsQAYkvYC2rPcgIbb6R4HIH9ZJYv