Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
9/14/12 11:19 a.m.

Does anyone have experience running Rain-X on Lexan polycorbonate? Will it damage or cloud it up? Any info is appreciated

My 300zx has a lexan windshield, and I'm running at the SCCA RallyX nationals in Starke, Fl this weekend. I have no wipers, and it will likely rain, so I'm looking for ideas

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/14/12 11:26 a.m.

Looks like a bad idea:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?15693-Lexan-Motorcycle-Windshield

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/12 11:30 a.m.

how about just plain wax?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/14/12 11:35 a.m.

I have put rain-x on my helmet visor with no issues. Maybe test it in a corner of the window or on a spare piece/side glass?

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
9/14/12 11:37 a.m.

A motorcycle guy said that Lemon Pledge will work just as good as Rain-x with no ill effects, has anyone ever tried it?

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
9/14/12 1:47 p.m.

We had Rain-X on our Lincoln's Lexan windshield. With no wiper blades, Rain-X was a necessity. No problems at all. Works great. It rained super hard at our ChumpCar race at Daytona International, but we didn't have visibility issues.

9/14/12 1:48 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: A motorcycle guy said that Lemon Pledge will work just as good as Rain-x with no ill effects, has anyone ever tried it?

I have used pledge on a motorcycle faring windscreen and it works great. It only lasts a short time though.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
9/14/12 1:49 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: how about just plain wax?

That's the real bad idea. Done that on a glass windshield before. It streaks like the dickens once it gets wet, and makes visibility awful.

9/14/12 1:49 p.m.

Also - if you are racing a tin top with no defogger in the rain, polish the inside of the window with dawn dishwashing liquid and it won't fog up on you.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
9/14/12 2:58 p.m.

Rain X works well on airplane windshields. They are a polycarbonate.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
9/14/12 4:18 p.m.

Its just ethanol and a silicone grease AFAIK.

Don49
Don49 Reader
9/14/12 6:00 p.m.

If your Lexan has a scratch resistant coating it can discolor it.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
9/14/12 6:15 p.m.

I was under the impression that it was developed for airplane canopies and windshields?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
9/14/12 6:38 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: A motorcycle guy said that Lemon Pledge will work just as good as Rain-x with no ill effects, has anyone ever tried it?

used to use pledge all the time untill i found PLEXUS. i used it on the race car and the bike helmet.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
9/17/12 8:44 a.m.

I have seen it used on many airplanes, but I do not have first hand experience. It also has been used on the deicing boots to protect the rubber.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9zEBid7ABfkXmSpedAbdX4EwMRZnu5QLHGUoAS8LHVMJvAocLaQ5YACNQdw8lykA