Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
4/13/15 9:32 p.m.

Hey guys,

First off I have a friend with a 92 Chevy Cavalier with the 2.2 litre engine. About 2 months ago it wouldn't start for him, and he is just now getting around to trying to fix it. He replaced the coil packs/computer module that sits under the packs, and still no start. Any particular place we can start looking? It cranks, and we can hear the fuel pump, but no fire. He said when it first started acting up it would start every now and then, but not since. Any help would be appreciated.

Question two regards my 04 Suburban. Just tonight the check engine light came on. No idea why, but can I gather any codes from it without a reader? I know on my 01 Dodge Ramwagon I could cycle the key a few times on and off, and then it would give me a error code which I could look up on the interwebz. Any such luck with the Chevy? FYI I did fuel up tonight, but the fuel cap is tight.

Any help is appreciated.

Chris

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/13/15 9:39 p.m.

Check the fuel pressure. The fuel pump may be working, but maybe not enough. Might even be flooding.
Have you checked the wiring going to the coil pack? Did you check for power after the coil pack? Sounds like he has been blindly changing things out.

No clue about the code, but I would suggest getting a BlueTooth OBDII reader. I have one and it is just fantastic to have. No more wondering about the codes. Until then, tighten the gas cap.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
4/14/15 6:17 a.m.

Could be a fpr on the cav.

Suburban, az/advance for a scan for free. Just write down the codes and figure out later.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
4/14/15 6:38 a.m.

The cav is a simple beast. What dont you have? Spark, fuel pressure, injector pulse? Find that out, thats your first step to troubleshooting. Keep in mind that paying a garage is usually money better spent than throwing parts at it.

Let the parts store scan the burb and tell us the code.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
4/14/15 6:55 a.m.

Car repair is all about diagnostics, yet it's the hardest part of fixing it. Even with older cars like his, he still needs to know what isn't working. If he doesn't take it to a repair shop, tell him to test the battery without a load, with a load with an ohm meter, then check the starter for free at Autozone/Advance Auto Parts.

If you fix your own Suburban, it's time to look for an OBD II scanner.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/14/15 7:13 a.m.

There is a crank position sensor under the ignition module. Check that.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/14/15 7:17 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: There is a crank position sensor under the ignition module. Check that.

was going to say that. if no spark with new module and coils, i'd test that.

take burb to parts store and have them scan free.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
4/14/15 8:34 a.m.

I do fix the suburban myself. I will go to the local flaps to get a scan. I also think I will get a Bluetooth scanner at some point. What is a good cheap one to buy?

My friend with the cavalier mentioned that his brother who has an automotive repair shop mentioned it could be the crank position sensor and that they are a nightmare to replace. I don't know where it is, but it doesn't look like much of anything on the car is tough to get to.

Chris

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/14/15 8:57 a.m.

It's under the ignition module. The issue is that they sometimes get stuck in the block and break when you try to remove them. Then you have to drop the oil pan to get them out.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
4/14/15 11:58 a.m.

luckily, the oil pan takes about 10 minutes to get off on those cars.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
4/14/15 6:54 p.m.

Advance auto read the code as C0223 abs signal erratic right side.

Why would that trip the check engine light and not the brake warning light?

Chris

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
4/14/15 7:06 p.m.

Check engine light went out on my way home from advance auto.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
4/14/15 7:31 p.m.

it trips check engine light for "global obd2" witch covers everything from abs to transmissions. The brake light will only come on for fluid and pedal pressure problems as far as i know.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
4/14/15 8:05 p.m.

Clean the rust off the hub where the sensor mounts and go about the rest of your day.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
4/14/15 8:29 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Clean the rust off the hub where the sensor mounts and go about the rest of your day.

Probably already done since the light went out. But I would check the wiring to the wheel sensors.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JYue3gkLcW0Pe0yt05Qm5T2uBWQdbd0vIGdarFelu9Jo17Cc2jtY1zPrWOfdeQLd