1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/30/23 7:13 p.m.
Mndsm said:
Peabody said:

I've never had Key lime pie, but I've garnered more upvotes in this thread than normal.

there was the time I weaponized key lime pie and added cheesecake to the mix .....

I love key lime pie and I love cheesecake. That looks awesome!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/30/23 8:50 p.m.

Is this the outrage of the week?

It is?

Ok, then.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/23 7:34 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I've seen some outrageous pies myself.

I don't let them get under my skin though.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
12/1/23 10:58 p.m.

I'm more of an apple pie and pumpkin pie man

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/23 3:48 a.m.

Do it in the bank.

If the seller isn't willing to take your cash inside a bank, it's a scam!

Your bank or their bank, do it inside and sign the title. Cameras record it, everyone goes home protected.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
12/2/23 9:28 a.m.

In reply to mr2peak :

The seller wanted cash in this case, the buyer had an issue with that. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
12/2/23 11:01 a.m.

I have not read all the rants , but my rant is when  its "No Cash"  accepted , 

it does not happen that often yet , but I guess its at many sports stadiums  and  places in Europe and China it is the norm.

Mostly it means you always have to carry your phone with you ,  and have cell service  , and sign up for Apple Pay , Google pay etc

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
12/2/23 12:49 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

The stadium here has reverse ATM. You put in cash and get a card. 

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
12/2/23 12:58 p.m.

For those going/already at the bank....why cash? Just wire it...

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/2/23 1:35 p.m.

In Canada, transactions over 5k at the bank have to be reported to the government. 

"None of your damn business" is not an acceptable answer when they ask you what the money is for.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/2/23 1:54 p.m.

In reply to ztnedman1 :

Wire transfer is often not that quick if more than one bank is involved.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
12/2/23 2:01 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

$10,000, which I believe is the same in the US. 
They will sometimes ask, especially if you're a senior. They think it's their job to try and prevent senior scams,  but you are under no obligation to tell them, It's none of their business. They are just obligated to report the transaction. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/2/23 2:14 p.m.
Peabody said:

In reply to ShawnG :

$10,000, which I believe is the same in the US. 
But you don't have to tell them what it's for. It really is none of their business, they're just obligated to report the transaction 

I believe that's correct. Wife's uncle absconded with about $1M of his mother's money - by withdrawing $9,000 at a time for himself and nobody knew (he'd been given power of attorney).

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/2/23 10:01 p.m.

As mentioned earlier, at least in the US it's a crime by itself called structuring to attempt to circumvent reporting by moving amounts under the thresholds. Banks and bank staff watch for it and will file Suspicious Activity Reports which are way worse than the routine Currency Transaction Report that get filed for large cash transactions.

Don't be that guy.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/2/23 10:49 p.m.
ztnedman1 said:

For those going/already at the bank....why cash? Just wire it...

Wire takes a bunch of paperwork and signature authorizations and they usually charge a fee.  If the transaction amount is within the limits of the amount of cash the bank has on hand then that's probably easier.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/3/23 9:15 a.m.

One thing about cash- you can avoid sales tax. Pay $2000, can it $500 when you go to change over the title. Harder to do that with wire transfers since the transaction can be tracked. 

But i do get the point about not wanting to carry cash. Should be a different way that is easy for both parties. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/3/23 9:31 a.m.
alfadriver said:

One thing about cash- you can avoid sales tax. Pay $2000, can it $500 when you go to change over the title. Harder to do that with wire transfers since the transaction can be tracked. 

But i do get the point about not wanting to carry cash. Should be a different way that is easy for both parties. 

Does that still work?  Last time a friend tried that with a ~5k car, they asked for pictures to show crash damage (didn't have any) or proof from an licensed garage about major mechanical issues (didn't have any), then charged him taxes on an inflated KBB value...

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/3/23 12:12 p.m.

I would rather not pay taxes on a vehicle that has already been taxed, with my after-tax dollars

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/23 12:24 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

Really depends. Here where I have to deal with a notary public that does cars, it depends on the person. The chains will go by KBB, but the independents are much more flexible. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/3/23 1:08 p.m.

That happened to me a while back, seller and I had a handshake deal then I got hit with a whopping tax bill from the state 9 months later, including interest and penalty fees of course. Never figured out how the hell that came to be.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/23 1:09 p.m.

This reminds me of the time I bought a Scion xB for my wife.  We were in Austin and it was in Houston at a dealer and it was $9500.  I called my wee little bank to give them a heads up that I would be withdrawing that cash and they assured me they would order enough for the day.  That message never got to the right person, so when I showed up, instead of getting 95 hundred dollar bills, I got 325 twenties and some very puzzled looks.

I transported it in a paper grocery bag.  The look in the finance guy's face as he had to ink test every single bill was not a happy one.

WonkoTheSane
12/3/23 1:19 p.m.
ShawnG said:

I would rather not pay taxes on a vehicle that has already been taxed, with my after-tax dollars

Well, yes, but unless you're willing to overthrow the current government either by force or by running an effective campaign and holding to your word, that's unlikely to change.

Sales tax on used items is one of the stupidest things I've heard of.  In CT, we get property taxes on any registered cars as well, just for fun.

WonkoTheSane
12/3/23 1:20 p.m.
RevRico said:

Really depends. Here where I have to deal with a notary public that does cars, it depends on the person. The chains will go by KBB, but the independents are much more flexible. 

Over here in CT, you can only do vehicle registration stuff at the DMV.  No independents.

WonkoTheSane
12/3/23 1:21 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

That happened to me a while back, seller and I had a handshake deal then I got hit with a whopping tax bill from the state 9 months later, including interest and penalty fees of course. Never figured out how the hell that came to be.

Ouch ... I wish I could down vote you because I hate the idea of this happening...

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/3/23 1:43 p.m.

There still should be a way to appeal an overvaluation. I know in KY, you can goto the pva office and plead your case on it's value. Done that on a few vehicles I've owned because they were junker/inop/parts cars

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vY89cImyaSmQ8m50QiDTzjm6Hjasj5CW5UtzcKVOK9WwDXBWWggZ3dEW8LOSGves