CharlesE
CharlesE New Reader
11/2/16 5:08 p.m.

Why do F1 cars use rear view mirrors, when cameras would have less drag. I don't believe they would weigh much more, and would likely provide a better view. Anyone know if that would be against the rules?

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
11/2/16 8:16 p.m.

Where would you mount the display?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
11/2/16 8:49 p.m.

In reply to Zeitgeist:

Just put it on the steering wheel. Plenty of empty real estate there.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
11/2/16 8:52 p.m.

Heads up display on helmet visor?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/16 9:11 p.m.

More Italian drivers?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
11/2/16 9:44 p.m.

I think this is a solution in search of a problem.
Not recalling a huge number of incidents that more rearward viewing would have prevented, usually they know someone is back there and simply misjudge it.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
11/2/16 10:40 p.m.

I think his point was not to a better rear view but to less drag.

Interesting thought.... maybe the mirrors have been developed to act as small wings or canards and actually offer more downforce???

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
11/2/16 11:17 p.m.

The mirrors probably add downforce.. if the C6 Vette can have mirrors that do it, i don't see why an F1 car wouldn't..

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/3/16 12:14 a.m.

My guess would be that the rules are written to require rearview mirrors. If not, they'd leave them off entirely.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
11/3/16 5:52 a.m.

I bet it's a combination of tge rules and taking advantage of them. Motogp hasn't had morrors since, well forever. So if the teams hated them they could probably drop them. And they work, unlike the blind cockpit of the modern prototypes.

CharlesE
CharlesE New Reader
11/3/16 5:52 a.m.

One of the F1 writers mentioned that the mirrors are small, with a limited view. A camera (or two) simply seemed like a better solution, yet none of the teams on what is basically an unlimited cost series have gone that route. Does any one know if the rules prohibit rear view cameras?

Thanks.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
11/3/16 7:25 a.m.

In reply to CharlesE:

IIDSYCTYC is probably in effect.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
11/3/16 9:18 a.m.

I like racing where they don't allow/have mirrors.

Karts and circle track

steronz
steronz Reader
11/3/16 10:05 a.m.

From the FIA technical regulations for 2016:

14.3 Rear view mirrors : 14.3.1 All cars must have two mirrors mounted so that the driver has visibility to the rear and both sides of the car.

There's 3 more paragraphs defining size/location. It's F1, everything is in the rules.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
11/3/16 10:22 a.m.
Knurled wrote: More Italian drivers?

"The first rule of Italian driving: What behind me is not important!"

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/3/16 10:37 a.m.
Zeitgeist wrote: Where would you mount the display?

Put two displays in little pods just outside the cockpit where they are easy to see...

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
11/3/16 10:38 a.m.

Even on street cars, especially supercars with extremely limited rear vision, I think that all mirrors could/should be replaced by cameras and a wide display located in the current inside mirror position. That would afford an uninterrupted rear view regardless of body design.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/16 12:21 p.m.

In reply to jstein77:

One of the things I don't get about backup cameras is that they turn off when not in Reverse.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
11/3/16 12:27 p.m.

The blind spot warning system my wife wanted was over $300. For half that I can mount a camera and screen on the inside of each door opposite the mirrors and there would be no blind spots at all. I may even do it on the transit.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
11/3/16 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Since the reverse camera takes over the infotainment screen on most cars it makes sense to shut off when not in reverse. I think it would be too much of a distraction if it was always on, especially at night. It would also give people another excuse not to check their mirrors or actually look over their shoulders.

That being said- I put an aftermarket reverse camera in our old MDX. It was a standalone unit so had to mount a dedicated screen in the cockpit. Luckily I was able to squeeze it in the flip down sunglass holder in the roof by the rearview mirror. That way I could flip it out of view when not needed. I eventually re-wired it to be on at all times the ignition was on, instead of just reverse. Worked great when towing to keep an eye on the trailer hitch.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
11/3/16 1:59 p.m.

Better visibility to the rear just encourages Max. There is a small but vocal group of stock car racers who would like to see mirrors banned in lower classes. It encourages blocking, and divebombing, they figure.

First rule of italian driving

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/3/16 2:15 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Even on street cars, especially supercars with extremely limited rear vision, I think that all mirrors could/should be replaced by cameras and a wide display located in the current inside mirror position. That would afford an uninterrupted rear view regardless of body design.

How much more would that add to the cost of the car?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
11/3/16 3:27 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
jstein77 wrote: Even on street cars, especially supercars with extremely limited rear vision, I think that all mirrors could/should be replaced by cameras and a wide display located in the current inside mirror position. That would afford an uninterrupted rear view regardless of body design.
How much more would that add to the cost of the car?

probably less than the cost of outside heated, electric folding and electric adjustable mirrors with built in turn signals lights, blind spot sensors and puddle lights.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
11/3/16 5:22 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Better visibility to the rear just encourages Max. There is a small but vocal group of stock car racers who would like to see mirrors banned in lower classes. It encourages blocking, and divebombing, they figure. First rule of italian driving

Most of the circle tracks in the NE ban mirrors in all classes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R3MP3BiOYfM2GJYaGFs5IakRqMqefY9AqZK0QQSjoip5oxBhdpUgpYouX9pMfZBL