z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
1/8/09 5:59 p.m.

Compression test revealed cylinder number 5 was down 25% on the rest of the cylinders. (The rest were good numbers all within 5% of each other). The bottom end appears to be in stellar shape with all the other cylinders in the 175-168 range.

The leakdown test is pointing to a toasty exhaust valve. I've got a buddy who is going to help me with the head swap, but I've got to find one!

Anybody have one or know a good source for one? I can get a rebuilt one from BMA with all new parts except valves (they just use cleaned up good used ones) for around $625, although its more than I want to spend, its probably comparable to buying the parts and having someone put it together for me.

I know, I know, I just don't trust myself with the kind of tolerances and such that are inside the motor.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
1/8/09 6:01 p.m.

M20B25, in case one of you has one.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
1/8/09 7:37 p.m.

What's to prevent you from getting a replacement valve(s) and having a machine shop recondition the original head?

Unless you overheated it the head is most likely still good...

One solution might be to fix the one you have AND find another one and have it reconditioned as a spare. That will ensure that you won't need it...

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
1/8/09 7:59 p.m.

yeah. I'll send you a few good valves for the cost of shipping and you can slam another one in yourself and be back on the road. Piece of cake.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
1/9/09 7:57 a.m.

mel_horn, the main reason I wanted to find another was the car would only be down for a day, then I'd still have the current head as a core to eventually have worked over, completely rebuilt with all new parts and bigger cam.

belteshazzar, thanks for the offer! It is very much appreciated. Luckily for me, I just scored a rebuilt head with under 10k on rebuilt for $250 shipped, which sounds like a good deal to me.

Thanks again guys.

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
1/11/09 9:06 a.m.

The local U pull junk yards have e30s here in FL..

And there are both ETA heads and I heads - engines there.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
1/11/09 9:38 a.m.

Unfortunately there is only one decent german salvage in state and its about 2 1/2 hour drive from here.

Regardless, I think I've decided to just swap in an M52 or S52.

I've read a bunch of stuff about putting a fresh head and a used bottom end and such, and the car is still drinking a ton of oil which I don't think is all coming through the valve seals.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2m5gX2TF4nNbbv3xHr7wQyVf1c7i8w4LsFrl1Br6BLpAjEg9k6pfyBKqSD3jQzda