1 2
Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
10/9/24 6:12 a.m.

Is CTA a decent brand of rethreaders comparable to the Lang? Certainly priced the same.

The set I have is this one...I had thought it was from eBay, but turns out I got it from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035533S8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
10/9/24 6:51 a.m.

^ Replaced my worn to the nub Snap-on/Lang set with that and if there's a meaningful difference I haven't found it. 

For a general purpose/oopsie tap and die set I love my Mac which I believe is also rebranded Irwin and as is sometimes the case with Mac it's pretty reasonable for a tool truck purchase. 

For taps where you mean it or are going to use it frequently or in aggressive material the white box green label Widia brand above is wonderful. 

CRC has aerosolized cutting oil and while the idea sounds kinda dumb it's absolutely lovely 

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
10/9/24 7:03 a.m.
Trent said:

I am trying to be reasonable here and having trouble.  I use taps and dies s little as a dozen times a day professionally, often much more.

When it comes to truly "good" taps and dies there are no such thing as sets.  They are all sold piecemeal  because a true "set" would be a "how long is a piece of string" situation, between plug, taper, bottoming and spiral flute varieties. To use them you will require a minimum of a 115 piece drill index with fractional, number and letter bits

I am of the mindset that all taps should be high speed steel. "Carbon steel" is a marketing term that means nothing.  I am a Widia GTD man. I love them, they are amazing

Hand one to a person who has only ever used Irwin and their eyes will go wide. They cut so clean and fast. Effortless. 

If I am repairing a Ferrari Colombo V12 or an Abarth Bialbero cylinder head, I can't risk a so-so thread, they have to be perfect so I splash out on the good stuff.

TLDR: I am a tap and die snob with almost a whole toolbox devoted to the craft. I despise the cheap tap and die handles included with the cheap kits and silently judge people I see using them. All that said, for the dude in his garage tapping a few holes a week.  As much as it pains me to say it..... the Irwin will be ok.

I used to use them. The older Snap-On branded Irwin set is what my techs use for day to day work. They aren't sharp but they are pretty dang robust. With a proper sized hole they will cut acceptably clean enough.

I am interested in the HF Icon tap and die set. Says they are Tungsten on the website. The tap handle is a nicer looking piece. According to the cashier at my HF they will replace broken taps for free. 

Taps and dies break and get dull. Free replacement is a massive bonus. 

Also, get a poster sized tap and drill size chart to hang on the garage wall. It will become your first reference for much more than threading

Thank you!

Machinist here, I use the same tap for many years and can feel when it starts to not cut clean.  A coworker over tightens his taps and snaps them all the time, used properly they last a long time.

I'm going to try Widia next time I need new taps.

My $.02, for general purpose I like a three flute, they seem to accept abuse and misuse better than a four for spiral flute.  Our CNC guy like the spiral taps the are cut to pull chips up and out.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/9/24 9:35 a.m.

I have no horse in this fight but I remembered a project farm video about this issue to add to the discussion

Linky

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/24 11:06 a.m.

I splurged and bought this Irwin set for myself.  I've been exceedingly happy with it.

Certainly not production/machine shop level, but for the 10-20 times I break it out every year, it's fantastic.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vk19LtRKN6XwtXW1q7gDBNrCOngbeBT0AFubVoGL6bFZ6KiZmJvPEBcxSX3wcnwi