BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/11 10:58 a.m.

$DEITY, do I hate moving...

My nice and expensive timing light I had in the UK accidentally ended up in the 'won't work in the US, sell in the UK' box that I handed over to a friend. Well, at least that explained why I can't find it here. It also pretty quickly, from what he told me .

Anyway, can the assembled multitude here recommend a good quality timing light, preferably with a built-in tach and a Xenon bulb rather than the dimmer regular ones?

mike
mike Reader
1/16/11 11:04 a.m.

I was going to recommend my "new" Snap-On timing light, until it hit me that I got the "new" one 16 years ago! Good grief. The timing light works like a champ, though.

Don49
Don49 Reader
1/16/11 11:15 a.m.

+1 on the Snap On. Mine is also well experienced but works great.

EvanR
EvanR Reader
1/16/11 2:54 p.m.

Hm, I've never seen a timing light that used what the Brits call "mains power". Why would a UK timing light not work in the US?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/16/11 2:58 p.m.

I have a Craftsman that does everything I want, just check the Sears warantee vs the Snap On etc.

Dan

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
1/16/11 3:18 p.m.

I have been using a craftsman piece my Dad bought back in the 70s. Hopefully they still have some quality left to them.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
1/16/11 3:43 p.m.

I have a $5 Actron from a swap meet. Plain, no dials, advance, or tach readout. Does the job just fine. I never saw the need for the dial advance or tach readout. If I need a tach readout I just use my multimeter.

BoxheadTim
1/16/11 4:40 p.m.
EvanR wrote: Hm, I've never seen a timing light that used what the Brits call "mains power". Why would a UK timing light not work in the US?

It would, but muggins here put it in the wrong box so it staid behind.

BoxheadTim
1/29/11 11:20 a.m.

Any comment on this light: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130451381719&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2162wt_962

I've found a couple of Snap On ones, but they're around $300 and that's a little much for my liking at the moment.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
1/29/11 11:29 a.m.

Craftsman: 10+ years old, still works great.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
1/30/11 1:22 p.m.

Craftsman, with adjustable knob on the back. Works fine and only a fraction of the Snap On price.

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
1/30/11 11:04 p.m.

Yep - the ubiquitous Craftsman w/ the advance knob on the back. When I first was getting the Sprite sorted with the crazy distributor and nutty Weber and god-know-what cam and timing, this timing light was used daily - often multiple times per trip. Works great.

Here you go: Buy-it-now on eBay for 40 clams.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bmnsIFlWU31nbgP4r5yrCgPqs188yzvPcXuuBzSJkfxzUKIG1R8i0JwTe44ju8cg