1 2
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
9/26/13 6:28 a.m.

my job has changed and I will be in some plants - I need to get some of these.

wae
wae Reader
9/26/13 7:13 a.m.

I've been buying Swat Boots (or is it SWAT Boots? The company is Original S.W.A.T.) for about 15 years. I think I'm on my third pair right now. They hold up well, have a supreme amount of traction, aren't too spendy, insulate well, and keep my feet completely dry. They also are designed for being on your feet all day, so I don't get back pain, foot pain, and they wind up feeling more like a crosstrainer athletic shoe than anything else.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
9/27/13 7:10 p.m.

After going to a few stores, I tried on some Red Wings... Heaven. Considering that I already spend $100/year on work shoes, I can justify this pair as long as they last two years, right? ... Right? They were the only ones that I could find that had everything that I wanted (comfortable, waterproof, leather)

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
9/27/13 7:20 p.m.

I got Bates boots issued to me when I started the police academy. They were uncomfortable and felt cheap. When I left the police dept it was the only thing they didn't want back, so I continued wearing them back in the dealership. I wore them probably about 2 years total, but I should have thrown them away after 1 year. Granted, they took some serious abuse in the police academy and in the automotive field, but I would probably try to find something better. **These may have been some of the really cheap Bates, so YMMV.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
9/27/13 8:38 p.m.

All I wear is 6" Redwings or sandals. Granted I'm not on my feet like I used to be, but I'm only on my third pair since 1998. This last pair was made to order just for me and it only took 3 weeks and $175.

That said, if you are on your feet every day then you don't buy shoes in the mall or at a department store. Look up whoever local to you repairs shoes; they are almost always a retailer for quality boots and shoes. If you get there and burly guys with chainsaws or women with stern old nurse faces are there than you are in the right place. Ask questions and listen and learn, then buy appropriately.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
9/27/13 8:46 p.m.

When I wake up and want my ankles to work ,my feet are in the Redwings, Other than that I prefer to go barefoot. YMMV.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/27/13 8:57 p.m.
white_fly wrote: I've been wearing these Georgia Boots for about 7 years now. When I put them on they felt like steel-toed bunny slippers. Super comfortable. Got them re-soled last year and put new insoles in but they are still great after years of use and abuse.

These are on our approved footwear list and no one has been able to get more than 6months out of them. Our work environment is very tough on shoes though.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank HalfDork
9/27/13 10:10 p.m.

I work on natural gas lines mostly but also do water sewer and road repairs. I am 6'4 300 and wear a 13 EEE and am on my feet constantly at work. I only wear Wellington style boots (no laces)

I bought a pair of Redwing Pecos about 2 years ago. $155 dollars. They fell apart in 3 months. They replaced them. I wore them for 3 months and the same thing. I threw them away and said forget it.

I bought waterproof Ariats (nearly $250) with composite toe. I loved them and they were great for about a month. The first water leak I worked on they were submerged. They shrank so bad after they dried I can't wear them without extreme discomfort.

Then I got some timberline Pros with the rubber indestructible toe.$150 They were a new product. And they were very comfortable. That guarded leather rubber toe dry rotted and soaked my feet in a dewy yard about a month later. I tried yet another pair (in case it was a rare defect. Same thing. I was getting mad. I walk a lot but come on!

I called our safety equipment dealer and told them if they couldn't get me a decent pair of boots I was going to talk to the supervisors about taking our business elsewhere (like I had any pull haha)

They took the TP (about all they are good for) back and ordered me a pair of the plainest crappiest looking boots I've ever seen. Thorogood Wellington classics. (165 dollars) Well guys... Over 8 months later they are the best, sturdiest most waterproof boots I've ever owned. They are just now getting the soles worn out. I ordered a pair of Thorogood (Made in the USA) oil rigger boots Friday. I want to have two pairs to switch wearing for my back.

Love these boots and glad to finally have a solid product on my feet. It may be my size or the chemicals I work with but I am typically lucky to get 4-6 months service out of any boot or shoe. I mink oil and keep them all on boot dryers.

I posted this in another work boot thread on a Ford specific forum. It still stands true.

(On another note: I worked in an acid today that ate through a red shop towel (in gloves while cutting it down to a usable strength) In the sewer plant. After which I hosed off my boots and had to change clothes after hosing them down. My boots are discolored. My clothes are threads, the concrete is etched... My USA made boots may not be worth wearing tomorrow. I hope it just ate the mink oil off (re-applied though) I think my biggest issue is my size breaking down soles, and crouching down at water/gas meters destroying the bend points.... Motor oil and the gas pipe dope seems to help leather last longer. It could honestly just be my size (hence: the Tank moniquer) but big men that work hard need a good boot too.)

In the past the crappy wal-mart and shoe store boots last me 3-6 months. Then I donate them to a man in town that makes belts and leather straps for cars for ppl... Disenfected of course.... Sort of.

I've talked to every boot manufacturer I cld speak to and no-one has ever heard of anyone wearing out any type of boot the way I do..... I obviously now use a Fireman, boot wear company but still I can't fathom anyone getting 12 months of comfortable usage out of any boot ever produced. I got 3 weeks out of a set of lace up CATS.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
9/27/13 11:04 p.m.

In reply to FranktheTank:

My Timberland Pros are wearing pretty well. I am a mechanic, so they don't get the use that yours do. The only thing I can complain about is the inside of the heel wore off and I had about a week or 2 of discomfort, but now they're good. Also the soles are wearing out quickly (I've had them since March), but the concrete floors at work are as rough as sandpaper.

My coworker loves his Chippewa boots, but I have no personal experience. His are older than my boots and are wearing a lot better.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nFg9Nlm73thnCxaI5uu4nTutTzdRd93CtUTgwU8JdkxOnju0jJTcNyTr4cTv7nXJ