triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair New Reader
1/1/12 6:30 p.m.

Well the red wrinkle valve cover for my 67 Spitfire was/is a total bust. I did everything by the numbers. prepped the surface, sprayed lite coats vs. heavy, etc. In some places the finish is smooth in others it wrinkled great. I thought maybe 20 min. in a 200 degree over would do the trick. No such luck. I might be ok for some but I get a little anal when I know what I want and it doesn't work out. I'll be searching for a good powder coater in the next few days to get it done right. Any recommendations? Live about 70 mi. north of Houston.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
1/1/12 7:02 p.m.

There's a guy at A&M that does some powdercoating in his garage, he did a valve cover for me in wrinkle black that came out great.

I could have sworn I had a picture of it somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Regardless, it came out well. Charged me $80 including all the prep.

triumphcorvair
1/1/12 8:15 p.m.

In reply to unevolved:

Can you provide me his contact info?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
1/1/12 8:23 p.m.

I just checked through my stuff, it looks like all my contact with him was done via PM through tamscc.org, the website of Texas A&M Sports Car Club. So I don't have a number or email address.

If you're somewhat local (in a regional sense) it may not hurt to make an account on there anyways, it sometimes has some useful stuff for area gearheads. His username on there is mustang6tee8.

What city are you in? Huntsvegas?

triumphcorvair
1/2/12 9:50 a.m.

Thanks for the advice U! Yes, I'm in Huntsville. You in the area?

Graefin10
Graefin10 HalfDork
1/2/12 10:55 a.m.

I've done several with the rattle can paint. What I recall is that it's very sensitive to coat thickness and temperature. Also you need to make sure that you shake the can sufficiently to get all the ingredients of the mix in solution. IIRC the timing of successive coats is critical also. Too soon and it will run, too long and it wont' krinkle properly. All that is probably on the can it came in but it's more important with this type finish than other paints.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
1/2/12 2:28 p.m.

I'm in College Station, I'm a student at A&M.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RhkxQHhyhXApOAYnFuRk7UZY90RYyxXt4D6Q3DPW53sj6JTbSrgg09wRE6qvSsqW