Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/14/23 11:16 a.m.
feature_image

The founder of Callaway Cars, Reeves Callaway, was confirmed to have passed earlier this week after sustaining injuries from a fall that took place in his Newport Beach, California home. He was 75.

Callaway quickly made a name for himself by offering performance kits for a number of cars (like our own 1984 VW Rabbit GTII). His work eventually …

Read the rest of the story

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/14/23 6:17 p.m.

Didn't he do Alfa as well? 

As a Corvette fan, his name ranks up there with Zora, Greenwood, Motion, et al.

The Sledghammer!!!!!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/14/23 6:49 p.m.

He built cool things.  Had fun.  A bit too young to die, though.

Who was the other Corvette tuner that died a few years back?  Or was it Reeves that damaged himself in a race car, and has just now passed?  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 6:53 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I'm not sure if he passed away yet or not, but Lingenfelter was the other Corvette guru.  From my home state of Indiana 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/14/23 6:57 p.m.

John Lingenfelter.  That's the guy.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/14/23 9:58 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

Yes he did. The twin turbo Alfa GTV6 to be more complete. There were about 50 of them built. I had the pleasure of working on one while I lived out in southern California. It was a blast to drive and surprised more than a few kids in boosted Hondas.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
7/14/23 11:12 p.m.

Back in the day my buddy had an intercooler from an Alfa Calloway he was going to cut up for his Spirit R/T.  I told him that he should sell it on, as it was a rare piece and not worth cutting up.  He was pretty happy as his $50 junkyard investment netted him around $1200 back in 2001.  

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
7/14/23 11:17 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

Yes he did. The twin turbo Alfa GTV6 to be more complete. There were about 50 of them built. I had the pleasure of working on one while I lived out in southern California. It was a blast to drive and surprised more than a few kids in boosted Hondas.

Never heard of that, I bet they are fun

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
7/15/23 6:36 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I'm not sure if he passed away yet or not, but Lingenfelter was the other Corvette guru.  From my home state of Indiana 

He died a while ago after crashing a nearly uncomfortable Cobalt FWD drag car.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/17/23 10:04 a.m.
stafford1500 said:

If I remember right the GTV6 was one of the first cars his company did.  They used two throttle bodies from a BMW 318i I think.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/17/23 10:32 a.m.
Aaron_King said:
stafford1500 said:

If I remember right the GTV6 was one of the first cars his company did.  They used two throttle bodies from a BMW 318i I think.

Yes the turbos fed to the intercooler via two 318 throttle bodies that were synchronized together. I copied most of the original documentation that was with the one i worked on, for future use...

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
7/17/23 9:57 p.m.

I'd never seen a Callaway Vette in person until this year.  Then I went to Radwood Philly and there were FIVE of them!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bghct1qm3Dn8TuAXJ7S3ncgmimZBtnROCBq45bRZrSUmoGZweUbXoE1gg7ChWpf9