1 2
Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/29/16 9:11 a.m.

'Twas fifteen years ago on this date that Daimler-Chrysler killed the Plymouth brand. As someone who owned three Plymouth Neon ACRs, I would like a moment of silence...

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
6/29/16 9:31 a.m.

As the former owner of a 1990 turbo Plymouth Voyager, I concur.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
6/29/16 9:49 a.m.
Danny Shields wrote: As someone who owned three Plymouth Neon ACRs, I would like a moment of silence...

I think a moment of squeaks and rattles would be more appropriate.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
6/29/16 9:50 a.m.

A salute to the 340 'Cuda.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
6/29/16 9:57 a.m.

My dad had one of these, brand new. White leather interior. Legend has it I threw up in the backseat as a small child.

Javelin?
Javelin? GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/16 10:08 a.m.

Plymouth was always better than Dodge. See Road Runner, Duster, Laser, Neon, Prowler, etc.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/29/16 10:31 a.m.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/plymouth/cars/plymouth-cars.html

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/29/16 10:48 a.m.

Don't forget the Barracuda. One of first Mopars to get the 340.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/16 10:52 a.m.
bmw88rider wrote: Don't forget the Barracuda. One of first Mopars to get the 340.

I prefer the Challenger...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/29/16 11:00 a.m.

I had a '47 Plymouth Business Coupe.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/16 11:12 a.m.

1967 Plymouth Belvedere II two door hardtop: the only car that I ever regretted selling.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
6/29/16 11:19 a.m.
Javelin? wrote: Plymouth was always better than Dodge. See Road Runner, Duster, Laser, Neon, Prowler, etc.

the Neon was literally the same in every way as the Dodge Neon except for the badge on the hood..

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/16 11:19 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Javelin? wrote: Plymouth was always better than Dodge. See Road Runner, Duster, Laser, Neon, Prowler, etc.
the Neon was literally the same in every way as the Dodge Neon except for the badge on the hood..

But it was a better badge!

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/29/16 11:20 a.m.

Never owned a Plymouth (or a Dodge for that matter) and can't really think of any that I would like to own, so I don't feel too bad that they are gone.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/29/16 11:23 a.m.
Javelin? wrote: Plymouth was always better than Dodge. See Neon, etc.

Wait, whut? Please tell me that was facetious. Because I owned 2 1995 Neons - both white sedans, in fact, and both at the same time. One was a Dodge and one was a Plymouth. They were literally, completely, totally identical except for the badging.

Keith Tanner wrote:
novaderrik wrote: the Neon was literally the same in every way as the Dodge Neon except for the badge on the hood..

Considering that Dodge was using the ram's head for cars at the point, and Plymouth was using the sailboat, I'd have to respectfully but comprehensively disagree.

The Plymouth was better because it was an ACR. The Dodge was better because it was 2.4 swapped.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
6/29/16 11:24 a.m.

Plymouth was a lost opportunity for the DaimlerChrysler guys. They were shifting the brand from cheapest car possible to the international and future concept trial brand.

I remember some of the strategy discussions within company and there was a small faction that fought for Plymouth to be the brand that expands on the all aluminum car platform to make an all aluminum small car, to make an all fiber reinforced polymer car, to release the first hybrid electric car with a wankel motor (MB holds the patent), reach into all electric cars with the purchase of GEM in 2000(I was lucky to see the late 90s prototypes, cool cars), and bring back diesel motor power cars.

The idea required semi splitting Plymouth off with GEM and merging with a tech company to help with all the programming needed with the hybrid and electric car stuff. But Daimler wanted their $$$ so they didn't want to invest in such a forward reaching thing.

Probably right decision as around the turn of the century most Americans that bought Chrysler brands were not the demographic to be interested in buying anything but gas guzzlers. And marketing kept saying their data shows that even if we bought Priuses from Toyota and just changed the badge (We had a contractor do it) most Americans interested in such cars simply said they "Would not consider buying anything but a truck or minivan from an American company." I remember that summary during a presentation at HQ. Sucked.

Plymouth if only we held out until we sold you to Elon Musk.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
6/29/16 11:27 a.m.
T.J. wrote: Never owned a Plymouth (or a Dodge for that matter) and can't really think of any that I would like to own, so I don't feel too bad that they are gone.

Why Plymouth was killed^

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/16 12:04 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
novaderrik wrote:

The Plymouth version was cooler! Besides, Dodge probably stole the Neon like they did with the Duster/Demon.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
6/29/16 12:11 p.m.

I'm trying to get a picture of me autocrossing my 70 duster, but photobucket is being stupid.

this thread needs more awesome mopar pictures. of awesome mopars doing awesome things.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
6/29/16 12:15 p.m.

my first car was a 1990 plymouth sundance, and even though the trans locked itself into drive and wouldnt go into reverse or neutral that 2.2L was dead reliable, from days on end with low oil to a 20 minute drive without coolant, it never refused to stop running.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
6/29/16 12:28 p.m.

[URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/duster/DSC_0083-L.jpg.html][/URL]

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/29/16 12:57 p.m.

What's next? A late model Mercury appreciation thread?

drdisque
drdisque HalfDork
6/29/16 12:57 p.m.

The third car I ever drove was a 1990 Acclaim V6 (it was one of my drivers ed cars). It was the only Plymouth I ever drove. It was also quite possibly the worst car I ever drove - the other drivers ed car, a 1989 Tempo, while slower, was much nicer to drive.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
6/29/16 1:56 p.m.

Had a '64 Valiant and a '78 Volare wagon. Wish I'd kept the Valiant...

spin_out
spin_out Reader
6/29/16 2:07 p.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3OauNiqmfapcTiBnxj8njy7qh4jZMlqxszkUpvbV1SjNUK1RvlGRCtk00bd8V6V9