1 2
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
6/29/16 2:07 p.m.

Ye gads!! Fifteen years? Seems like only yesterday.

chili_head
chili_head Reader
6/29/16 2:10 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/duster/DSC_0083-L.jpg.html][/URL]

Hey! I know that lot.....When was this taken? I don't remember the car.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
6/29/16 2:17 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
bmw88rider wrote: Don't forget the Barracuda. One of first Mopars to get the 340.
I prefer the Challenger...

pppsssssttttt. The 70 Cuda is the king.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
6/29/16 2:18 p.m.

Couple of years ago. Before I blew up the trans, my leg, and then the wiring harness.

It will return to that lot soon. Along with my 64 el camino.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
6/29/16 2:19 p.m.
Woody wrote: 1967 Plymouth Belvedere II two door hardtop: the only car that I ever regretted selling.

A coworkers sister had a 67 Satellite way back around 69. It made an impression on my young self. I would love one, but they are going up in price pretty well too.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
6/29/16 2:19 p.m.

photo plymouth.jpg

My buddy's 57 Plymouth Savoy, that he has had for 30+ years.... still has the flat head 6 and three on the tree

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/29/16 2:29 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Javelin? wrote: the Neon was literally the same in every way as the Dodge Neon except for the badge on the hood..
I remember reading back in the day that market research at Chrysler had determined that, in the "entry level" market, the brand distinctions didn't make any difference to consumers (Dodge Omni vs. Plymouth Horizon, for example) so for the Neon, they offered the exact same car using either Plymouth or Dodge badges. No need to change the grille.
tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
6/29/16 2:44 p.m.

I wouldn't have a problem if they brought back Plymouth as a stand alone company that had nothing to do with Chrysler... and then killed off the entire Chrysler group of vehicles. I sort of liked the Shelby tuned turbo cars, but other than that, I have never seen a Chrysler product that I wanted over their competition.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
6/29/16 4:36 p.m.

I would love to have a 68 or 69 Roadrunner. Prices are too high. Duster, Cuda, Fury, Satellite - awesome.

I did own a 92 Plymouth Sundance RS 2dr with a 2.2 and auto. Never let us down.

My sister's first car - 76 Plymouth Volare Roadrunner 318 auto. Factory FM/CB radio! great car, orange with spoiler/flares/window louvers, rally wheels

My brother had a 78 Volare Limited 2dr all loaded up - 318 auto - but the lean burn was horrible and the car was a huge lemon. The first WI winter it was towed in about a dozen times for not starting.

I offer a moment of silence for the cool Plymouths, and offer lean burn to the burnt offering

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
6/29/16 4:46 p.m.
Advan046 wrote: Plymouth was a lost opportunity for the DaimlerChrysler guys. They were shifting the brand from cheapest car possible to the international and future concept trial brand. I remember some of the strategy discussions within company and there was a small faction that fought for Plymouth to be the brand that expands on the all aluminum car platform to make an all aluminum small car, to make an all fiber reinforced polymer car, to release the first hybrid electric car with a wankel motor (MB holds the patent), reach into all electric cars with the purchase of GEM in 2000(I was lucky to see the late 90s prototypes, cool cars), and bring back diesel motor power cars. The idea required semi splitting Plymouth off with GEM and merging with a tech company to help with all the programming needed with the hybrid and electric car stuff. But Daimler wanted their $$$ so they didn't want to invest in such a forward reaching thing. Probably right decision as around the turn of the century most Americans that bought Chrysler brands were not the demographic to be interested in buying anything but gas guzzlers. And marketing kept saying their data shows that even if we bought Priuses from Toyota and just changed the badge (We had a contractor do it) most Americans interested in such cars simply said they "Would not consider buying anything but a truck or minivan from an American company." I remember that summary during a presentation at HQ. Sucked. Plymouth if only we held out until we sold you to Elon Musk.

People like to forget the meteoric rise that the Chrysler brands were on up until the MB takeover. They did so much, so fast throughout the 90s that the 00s automotive landscape could have been completely different if they didn't have their legs cut out from under them by an under-regulated 'merger'. As interesting as the future of Plymouth itself could have been, it's only one small part of what was lost.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
6/29/16 8:11 p.m.

I sold my 1939 Plymouth and a 1965 Dodge A100 last week. No more Chrysler stuff here for now. I'd love to get a Hemi for the yellow coupe and bring it back to the Challenge though...

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/16 9:02 p.m.

Learned to drive on my Dad's Plymouth Horizon TC3. Auto. Good riddance!

Brian
Brian MegaDork
6/29/16 9:07 p.m.

My only Plymouth was a base 2.5 acclaim. Uninspiring at best. Still better than an early auto SL1. That holds the distinction of "Worst car".

Hal
Hal UltraDork
6/29/16 9:11 p.m.

I learned to drive in a 1952 Plymouth 2dr sedan

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
6/29/16 9:51 p.m.

Has no one here ever seen the movie "Christine"? Baddest movie car ever.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/30/16 6:17 a.m.

And of course my Plymouth:

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
6/30/16 8:27 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Ye gads!! Fifteen years? Seems like only yesterday.

"Seems like yesterday, but it was long ago." -Bob Seger

I'll pour out a quart of 75W gear oil for my first car, a '72 Duster with 225 slant six and three-speed manual, with dog-dish hubcaps, resplendent in Mopar Racing Beige. Godspeed, old girl.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/30/16 8:49 a.m.
Vigo wrote: People like to forget the meteoric rise that the Chrysler brands were on up until the MB takeover. They did so much, so fast throughout the 90s that the 00s automotive landscape could have been completely different if they didn't have their legs cut out from under them by an under-regulated 'merger'. As interesting as the future of Plymouth itself could have been, it's only one small part of what was lost.

:golfclap:

To this day, I wouldn't own a Mercedes if you gave it to me, purely because of the brutal pillaging Daimler perpetrated on Chrysler.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DEqCkMOKVvNpcT6Cyn2F5VqZHKb2GuXXcljzXWBinMGZgmo1rF1RHuvX4uBLjSx1