Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/4/15 12:40 p.m.

I seem to have run into an issue with this on my Xterra. I can't seem to remove the rear plate cover from in between the engine and transmission. This is blocking access to the bolts holding the drive plate to the torque converter. It simply won't budge. I've wiggled the engine with a hoist a bit to try to separate it from the transmission, but it didn't work. I thought that there would be some play on the torque converter to allow them to separate a bit, but apparently I was wrong.

I have removed all of the bolts holding the transmission to the engine. I checked this twice. The FSM has 9 bolts shown, and I have 9 bolts in the bin.

I have not worked with automatic transmission cars much at all, so I am sure I am missing something. This is only my second foray into this, and the first one was as parts car that I didn't care about.

Should I just wiggle the engine more? It's never been apart, and the SUV is 15 years old and spent time in New England. Maybe it is just stuck?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
2/4/15 5:43 p.m.

Your life will be simpler if you can leave the converter in the trans. Lots of times you have to access the converter bolts through the starter hole. If the engine is seized, that increases the degree of difficulty...

As for getting it apart, first be completely sure all the bolts are out, then start working on the seized up dowel pins. You will likely have to drive a screwdriver up between the trans case and the separator plate on both sides. Then you will have to drive a bigger one up there. If you hear the sound of aluminum cracking, that means you've missed one bolt somewhere.

You have unbolted and removed the starter, right?

Brett_Murphy
2/4/15 6:57 p.m.

Yes, I removed the starter.

The FSM advised removing the separator plate to access the bolts; I am not entirely sure I can get to them through the starter hole, but I will double check.

It might be stuck dowels. The engine is tight enough to the plate/transmission that I may very well have to increment screwdrivers up there.

At the very least I could remove a bit of material on the separator plate. The bolts are just behind it- I could get a crow's foot on it, but probably not remove the bolt all of the way since it would hit the plate on the way out.

Brett_Murphy
3/10/15 7:51 p.m.

Problem solved, I was doing it wrong. Sometimes letting a project sit for a while while you chew on a problem is the way to go.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QX10TrA5FZjZI5aeYUKP7Dmvs3gMddUIySeawHeOufZn7rQzfvZhQtJgkv6o3Eeh