Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/14/15 11:48 a.m.

Last time I was checking out Renegade Hybrids I was just there after reading about the 996 swap I know we have talked about here.

Did anyone else miss that they are also making one for the Boxster S now? That could be awesome with cheaper buy in and better weight distribution

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/15 12:41 p.m.

I wouldn't buy anything from them, but I'm sure there are other companies making similar parts without the stigma that Renegade has generated throughout the DIY swap community.

Still, a V8 swap into a Boxster or Cayman would be a ton of fun with less potential for the tail wagging the dog, like you'd have with a 911 swap and without the aged chassis that the 924/944 swap has.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
2/14/15 1:49 p.m.
turboswede wrote: I wouldn't buy anything from them, but I'm sure there are other companies making similar parts without the stigma that Renegade has generated throughout the DIY swap community. Still, a V8 swap into a Boxster or Cayman would be a ton of fun with less potential for the tail wagging the dog, like you'd have with a 911 swap and without the aged chassis that the 924/944 swap has.

What turbo said.. they have a terrible rep in the Porsche community

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/14/15 2:15 p.m.

Is it the quality of their work? Or just doucheyness?

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/14/15 3:19 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Is it the quality of their work? Or just doucheyness?

Yes.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/14/15 3:20 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
Jaynen wrote: Is it the quality of their work? Or just doucheyness?
Yes.

I take that back. Many of their parts have been known to last for dozens of hours before failing.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
2/14/15 3:21 p.m.

For Porsche/VW engine swaps, most people go to Kennedy Engineering right now and keep clear of Renegades. There are loads of light weight engines out there which would work very well in a rear mounted configuration and Kennedy offers most or will manufacture what you need. I've bought two kits from them and the quality/service/follow through/replacement parts all are second to none in the business..

http://www.kennedyenginc.com/Pages/default.asp

I WOULDN'T recommend doing the 4.1 liter GM swap that I did however.

I don't think that a transplant into a late model Porsche of any model would make sense due ro emissions and current value, but it would make for a sweet and subtle street sweeper.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/14/15 3:33 p.m.

Yeah you might be better off with a 88 fiero donor maybe

turboswede
2/14/15 3:44 p.m.

In reply to TeamEvil:

You do know that the Boxster is mid-engined, right? Also the original motors aren't known to be the most powerful or the most reliable. With a modern LS or Ford V8 power plant and its associated ECU there's no reason it couldn't meet emissions in most states outside of California.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
2/14/15 4:55 p.m.

Eh, their 944/951 conversion kit stuff is good. TonyG pounded the crap out of his converted car on the racetrack for 5 years without a single failure.

turboswede
2/14/15 5:33 p.m.

In reply to docwyte:

Doesn't change the fact they were douche bags to the DIY folks who came up with some of the solutions they eventually integrated into their kits at more money and without any recognition of the efforts of the DIY'ers. They then bought the main 944 V8 swap board and all but destroyed it.

The guys that are doing the real work are over at Texas Performance Concepts where the new DIY board is now housed and thriving.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/14/15 6:21 p.m.

I'd think with an Erod motor even california wouldnt be an issue?

The 944 forum thing sounds crappy. I didn't see anyone else with a v8 into 996 or 986 product tho

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/14/15 6:30 p.m.

I started with a renegade kit for swmbo'ed 986 swap, due to being told less then a 1/4" of firewall would need to be cut. When it was clear that 3+" would need to be, I shipped it all back, called my card company then called Kennedy

docwyte
docwyte Dork
2/14/15 6:53 p.m.

Most of my conversion kit is Texas Performance Concepts stuff.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/14/15 10:37 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Most of my conversion kit is Texas Performance Concepts stuff.

Me too. Eric is helpful and totally devoid of ducheyness

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/14/15 11:12 p.m.

So Kennedy does do 986 stuff?

I like swapped 944/951s also just was the first time I heard of the LS swap into the mid engined boxster/cayman platform.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4ZoTpFhkdjS65h6Oivd0mKKO1cEudX0zLamVD4bDOQVGlSSH6xxF2bHLoR9yXftx