1 2
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
2/15/11 5:14 p.m.

In the past Penske used to do the whole unlimited mileage thing on the trucks that they rented out. Checked the website and they don't do it anymore.

Anybody know of a rental company that does. I need basically a F150 and a car trailer for a day and 650 miles. Towing a Model A back home from storage up north ~1500 lbs with spares.

Uship keeps coming to me with number in the 900$ range which is ridiculous for a 300ish mile transport.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
2/15/11 5:18 p.m.

Enterprise Rent-a-car did it last summer when I last checked the local outlet. Their are a bit owner-operated and rules may vary, but, I was looking to rent a truck for the same reason you are.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
2/15/11 5:19 p.m.

Cool will call them when I get home.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
2/15/11 5:20 p.m.

Your issues are even bigger than unlimited miles.
Of the big companies, none rent pickups or vans (at any mileage) that they allow you to tow with. To tow they require their more medium box vans.

There is one big company that will rent a pickup and that is Enterprise Commercial but with them you must rent in the name of a business.
http://www.enterprisetrucks.com/

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
2/15/11 5:20 p.m.

What about renting a truck from Home Depot for a day? Not sure if they come with a hitch but I think the mileage is unlimited. Then you can just rent a car trailer from U-Haul.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
2/15/11 5:23 p.m.
triumph5 wrote: Enterprise Rent-a-car did it last summer when I last checked the local outlet. Their are a bit owner-operated and rules may vary, but, I was looking to rent a truck for the same reason you are.

Enterprise Cars does have full size pickups but be sure to get written proof that you are allowed to tow with them.
Sure, you could just tow with it anyway but if there is an accident your insurance company will not back you for covering Enterprise's truck, the trailer or the load on the trailer - big risk!

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
2/15/11 5:28 p.m.

If Budget is an option, here is a tip.
Go to the Post office and ask for a change of address packet. Tell the clerk you will fill it out and return it later...never use it, but...

Inside the packet is a coupon for Budget Trucks that gets you like 20% off your rental.

Also inside is a 10% off Home Depot Coupon.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
2/15/11 5:30 p.m.

Forgot, U-haul rented a truck and a trailer--car trailer, not a dolly--for a cross-country move to the state of Washington to my nephew last month..

And, of course, before embarking, make sure you have insurance 6 ways to sunday.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
2/15/11 5:42 p.m.

I rented an Enterprise Commercial cargo van and didn't need any business affiliations. My money is just as green as a business owner's anyway.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
2/15/11 7:53 p.m.

OK guess I need to think about this, the car is worth a good 25K or so and I need to get it here safe and insured.

At this point I am better off flying up and driving the thing back on the 101 slowly. 350ish miles in a Model A is going to suck.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/11 8:01 p.m.

Remember the guy who drives a Model A every day?

Just sayin' . Although an alternative route that's not 101 or I-5 might help.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
2/15/11 8:14 p.m.

I keep looking at his site.

I know I can get home its just bias tires in the rain in a car that light and I will die.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
2/15/11 8:17 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: I rented an Enterprise Commercial cargo van and didn't need any business affiliations. My money is just as green as a business owner's anyway.

How big of a trailer did you tow with that van?

See link
http://www.enterprisetrucks.com/van-truck-fleet.html
and next to pickup truck see the asterisk
* Towing Capability not available for consumer rentals.

eebasist
eebasist New Reader
2/15/11 9:26 p.m.

I'd have to vote for the unplugged speed sensor trick on a local Uhaul rental. mind you it can put the vehicle in safe mode wich will suck ass but Uhaul doesnt typically prohibit towing on their crap like Enterprise.

chaparral
chaparral Reader
2/15/11 9:28 p.m.

Where are you going from and to? I can't help with the truck but I can help with the route.

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/15/11 9:46 p.m.

you can get a bobtail box from hertz, or a 3 axle tractor for 125 a day. a dovetail trailer is 35.00 a day--all you need is a class A license and your med card. Its a little more than you need, and the fuel is 7 mpg, but you could haul extra and make some dough to boot.

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
2/16/11 1:55 a.m.

a Model A should almost fit in the back of a long box pickup.. borrow one and get a few buddies to help you lift it in and out..

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
2/16/11 7:14 a.m.

My dad picked up his 1930 Chevy in a box truck. He has access to a loading dock near home, so all he had to do was find one where he picked up the car.

Rent a cheap car for one way, then the truck for the return trip. Make up a company and see if they'll give you the commercial rate. This worked for me recently. It saved me a few hundred dollars over the retail rate.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
2/16/11 7:32 a.m.

If you can't make 350 miles in a Model A you should turn in your man card. Make an adventure out of it.

dlmater
dlmater GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/16/11 7:45 a.m.

Check with a local, non-national chain, rental company if there are any in your area. I had to do the same a few years ago and found one (privately owned) in my area that rented full size pick-ups and SUV's with hitch receivers and no restrictions on towing. The daily rates were higher than the national chains but the mileage was unlimited. Rented the trailer from U-haul seperately.

akamcfly
akamcfly Reader
2/16/11 8:08 a.m.
Kramer wrote: My dad picked up his 1930 Chevy in a box truck. He has access to a loading dock near home, so all he had to do was find one where he picked up the car. Rent a cheap car for one way, then the truck for the return trip. Make up a company and see if they'll give you the commercial rate. This worked for me recently. It saved me a few hundred dollars over the retail rate.

Two one-way rentals would be $$$$

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
2/16/11 8:35 a.m.
Kramer wrote: My dad picked up his 1930 Chevy in a box truck. He has access to a loading dock near home, so all he had to do was find one where he picked up the car.

Now thats a idea. I have a loading dock here in SD and I can rent a unlimited mule 20 foot box truck.

That might work, wonder if there is a loading dock there.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
2/16/11 8:49 a.m.

Pensky and Enterprise both rent trucks, with towing capacity (though Enterprise doesn't list renting trailers).

Pensky still offers unlimited mileage, but only on one ways (where they pre-estimate it and charge accordingly).

None offer local unlimited mileage that I'm aware of.

Equally, none are aware of mileage not shown because you disconnected the speedometer. Make sure you reconnect before you return the truck, of course.

Wouldn't it be far easier to borrow or rent a friend with a truck?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
2/16/11 8:58 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Wouldn't it be far easier to borrow or rent a friend with a truck?

That was actually the plan but the normal tow truck is down for repair, needs a new transmission so that's out. Plus I need to be in New York and then the midwest a day or two after the move or I have to push it back about two maybe three weeks and not really happy about that one, I want to get this done.

I can get a one way rental car for like 50$ because there is a airport really close. Plane ticket was 800-900 bucks on Delta or I would do that. No planes for rent that weekend at the local runway or I would have my brother in law fly me out in a 182 or something comparable.

Its the trip back in the rain without a top on bias tires with some runs on the freeway that scare me. Add in trying to get over the grapevine and all the extra parts in the cab that I need to take. Plus no spare tire. Worst case I get to LA by tow truck and fly out to the east coast and leave it in long term parking until I get back but...

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
2/16/11 11:07 a.m.

Where's the car and destination? Maybe someone on here can help you in some way.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AgG594qV7r7mW8ktB1GNngQmMwkTcCbw70ZDi3yFGWntIf8dMq1RgZtl6v4yYtSp