fstbandit
fstbandit New Reader
4/6/15 10:05 a.m.

I had a crazy idea yesterday talking with some of my family. None of my family race and my friends that do are all into Time Attack or show cars, while i am into RallyCross mostly, I tried to get them to come RallyX but they dont want to take their daily, which i understand, thats when i had the idea, not so much for only my friend but to bring others into the sport, I will have an extra car later this year and was thinking of a way to rent it out to people so they can come see how awesome our sport is. AutoX, RallyX whatever. Just to bring more people into the sport. Is this something that is easy to do or should i quit while im ahead. thanks all

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/6/15 10:11 a.m.

I've wanted to do this in the DC area for rallycross, but all the region leaders state that anyone who would like to drive already comes out or co-drives. I wouldn't be comfortable co-driving though, renting a competitive mull that may look rough though is something I'd strongly consider. It wouldn't be a money maker, especially after insurance and registration if having the car road legal, but could effectively cover maintenance and consumables.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
4/6/15 10:23 a.m.

That is a great idea, I would love to try rally cross but don't have a car at the moment. But if I were you I wouldn't do it to a car you care about. There is nothing faster than a rental car and I can't imagine people will hold back while driving it. It still sounds great though.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
4/6/15 10:28 a.m.

Your rental fee will need to be a fine balance of "hey that's cheap!" And "well I guess he does have to pay for tires,fuel,oil, repairs, damage, insurance, upgrades, etc"

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/6/15 10:44 a.m.

Here is what a local guy here charges for an SRF car.

http://christaylorracing.com/srf-rentals/

He use to do some older RX7 rally cross cars but has moved into that.

evildky
evildky SuperDork
4/6/15 12:22 p.m.

I had the notion everyone should have a chance to rag out my $2013 challenge turbo miata at a local autocross. I offered the car for $5 per pass, the money would be split between fastest time and the fsae team. It was early in the year ad still a bit cool out, so when the first guy hit a cone head on it broke the radiator tank ending that game. I wasn't upset just disappointed no one else got to drive the car. So keep in mind when sharing a car things can go very wrong and if you need to be okay with that.

Your idea isn't really any different from people selling seats on lemons or chumpcar. And I'd happily pay $30-40 to whore someone elses car at a rallycross. As an avid autocrosser I figure it would cost me about that in tire wear per event.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/6/15 12:37 p.m.

Back when I was in WI, there were a few small sports car clubs that shared lots of events each year. one year, they got the idea to have each club build a 'shared' rallyxer that could be driven by anybody but also competed with each other directly.

Seemed like a great idea if you have enough people willing to help build/store/transport and drive. I think they fell out of favor after a few years because the few guys who did all the build/store/transport work lost interest.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/6/15 12:39 p.m.

There are some guys at our local events who use actual rental cars, from enterprise or whatever. Buy the extra insurance and go to town :)

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
4/6/15 1:22 p.m.

As long as you have a crappy car you don't mind letter other people beat on it works fine. I have rented out my rallyx cars at many events. Over 2 year of renting out my impreza I think I rented it out about 20 times including some returning rental drivers. Mine was mostly of word of mouth thru the local rallyX and solo communities(DC Area). The biggest pain was getting 2 cars to the event site (my car and my rental car) I charged $50 a day to run my car.

fstbandit
fstbandit New Reader
4/6/15 5:32 p.m.

Hmmm. moxnix did you have an agreement for people to sign? Don't wanna get dragged through any court systems.

wae
wae HalfDork
4/6/15 8:45 p.m.

We've had various rentals for RallyCross and it's always worked okay. I think they've always been automatics and have been in various conditions, but the rental fee is usually $20 on top of the event registration and it runs in its own class. So far, it seems to work out well. I think it helps with generating interest with new folks since they can get their feet wet and decide if they want to get a car, use their existing car, or just keep coming out and renting.

etifosi
etifosi HalfDork
4/6/15 9:20 p.m.

In reply to moxnix:

My newly acquired laforza refusal points have been confirmed as deposited.

I have verbal acquiescence from SWMB-Convinced as to my intention to participate in something like this Rally-crack. When and where might one apply to become a real pay-to-drive driver on the most Grassrootsiest of surfaces?

I believe I can convince my backers that this is the opportunity we are looking for. Or, that this is an opportunity that I can have by looking under seat cushion backs plus the cost equal to a tire.

Smart etifosi would see if Mrs.etifosi could participate as well......

I shouldn't admit that my excuse if I'm slower than her in something like this is pre-formed as the intention to transfer blame pre-emptively in hope of future spousal addiction, right?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/6/15 10:15 p.m.

WOR has had ridiculous amounts of people renting the Altima, and later the Probe. Every other run would be the rental car being sent right back out again.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
4/6/15 10:39 p.m.

In reply to fstbandit: Yes sort of. No idea if it would hold up in court or anything and never had to test it. I just emailed it to the people that were renting and had them reply that they agreed. I figured for showing intent an email was just as good to me as a signed agreement. It was mostly to show that they agreed to pay for damage (outside of normal wear and tear) but I never had any damage that I thought was outside of normal wear and tear for a rallyx car.

In reply to etifosi: I broke the impreza daily driving it and have been lazy about fixing it again because the new rallyx site is even further from my house and more of a pain to get two cars to so I have not had much motivation to get it back up and running events.

fstbandit
fstbandit New Reader
4/8/15 10:07 a.m.

Hmm I see, maybe I will ask the guys at Indiana Rallycross to see if there is any interest. Thanks for the advice guys

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B1btPKJdDf7q6Cg1ndBlFj9RWSPXntnimXg3IgfdFQrs0DYisN0JI0KsRyEf8MKH