1 2
glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/3/24 11:05 a.m.

We had a SLK350 (R171) .  Nice street car.  Like a German Miata.  Very solid, decent street handling, enough acceleration for commuting.  Never a problem with the top (MY2009, bought 2019, sold 2023) other than a little creaky, but we drove it top-up so little that I never chased it.  It had a spring loaded panel in the trunk that needed to be in the down position if the top was down.  Top up you could raise the panel and have decent storage space.  Top down you got a slot wide enough for a briefcase or gym bag to slide through.  The space itself was a good size.  Easy to load with the top up, then drop the panel down and go.  The Volvo C70 I am pretty sure has near zero space with the top down.  That is always the thing to check with retractable hardtops.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/3/24 11:29 a.m.
SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/3/24 11:43 a.m.

How's the trunk space in the ND RF GT?

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
7/3/24 12:20 p.m.

While the top itself isn't solid nor will it be confused with a luxury ride, it may offer other points: 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/3/24 12:44 p.m.

My dad has an older 3 series with a hard top convertible. Nice car- top is easy, and the I6 is a treat! 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/3/24 1:32 p.m.

Same other point, cheaper.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/3/24 1:38 p.m.

SVerX, is this a DD, a toy, a Sunday morning go to breakfast car?  My mind hurts thinking of the options.

But I like this:  

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/3/24 1:52 p.m.

When shopping for a sports car last year.  I strongly considered ND RF.  Went to a dealer and sat in one.  Too cramped (almost clostiphobic) and no trunk.  Ended up with the GR86 because roomy, and with rear seat delete we can haul a shocking amount of luggage... but, Mrs Frog didn't get her convertible.  I even talked to folks that paid a good amount to lower the driver's seat on the Miata.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/24 1:54 p.m.
SV reX said:

Same size as the soft top cars. Not big, but it's a Miata so expectations should be tempered :) 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/3/24 2:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
SV reX said:

Same size as the soft top cars. Not big, but it's a Miata so expectations should be tempered :) 

Is there any trunk left when the hard top is stowed?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/3/24 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I meant when the roof is stowed. 

I understand how little space there normally is in a Miata. 

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/3/24 3:13 p.m.

The SLK is an awesome convertible. The wind doesn't beat you up too badly with the top down. Mine was reliable. Fun to drive. Pretty comfortable, luxurious and female friendly. More lux and comfy than my prht nc. 

Defintely not something I'd do an engine swap on though. Get the V6 model and enjoy it as a sporty cruiser. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/3/24 3:17 p.m.
914Driver said:

SVerX, is this a DD, a toy, a Sunday morning go to breakfast car?  My mind hurts thinking of the options.

But I like this:  

A 1969 Pontiac GTO convertible is a neat car, but they don't have a retractable hardtop plus they sell for over $50,000 these days (well over $100,000 if it's a Judge).

DancesWithCurves
DancesWithCurves New Reader
7/3/24 3:36 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

For both NC-PRHT and ND-RF, the trunk space is unaffected by the top position.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/24 4:03 p.m.
DancesWithCurves said:

In reply to SV reX :

For both NC-PRHT and ND-RF, the trunk space is unaffected by the top position.

Right, trunk space is not bothered by top position. It's a pretty spectacular piece of packaging.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/3/24 4:07 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) :

Is there anything left of the SLK trunk space when the roof is stowed?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
MjR3fPddKeoTLOrUd8F15BIz1XulO4HnIatsuqvj9MRtQONuMUBLYpWXt0RzoXJW