1 2
RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
2/25/24 2:32 p.m.

Sucks to see hillborn go away. I've never had a setup or worked on one but being a gasser fan boy those stacks are the things I dream about.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/26/24 9:09 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to kb58 :

There are other very good reasons to shut down a programmable ECU business these days.

Sorry to hear about the demise of another pioneering shop. When Bill and Teri Cardell were looking to retire and sell Flyin' Miata, it was very important to them that it didn't just end up as a brand owned by a conglomerate. Hilborn is an excellent example of why.

Don't side with the man on this dude. The vendetta the EPA has against the aftermarket auto industry is a whole other wormhole for this forum to go down. 

Very sad to see. Holley, AEM, etc all falling to private equity nonsense is extremely frustrating. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/26/24 10:21 a.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

Vandetta?  There are procedures to follow that make the aftermarket legal, as Flying Miata is very aware of. They have financial interest in making sure their competitors are following the same rules. 

There isn't a war on the aftermarket, there is just enforcement of the laws. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/24 10:45 a.m.

I also wasn't really taking sides with the man (is that Holley? Or the EPA? I'm not sure). Merely pointing out that there was likely a very solid reason other than simple ROI behind discontinuing the ECU business. So I guess if the man is Holley, I was taking sides :)

Interesting about the licensing of the EFI, Matt. I didn't know that. AEM is going hard into aftermarket EV components, making them one of the few big companies to do that. Ford basically tells people to go to AEM to control the Eluminator - or at least they did a couple of years ago.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M8hVdQpPFCX2IZ7l5dFFWfRNuXwU9CTRJacOdrTOu9RveNB0isDRdk7QHe3eUwaQ