HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
6/6/11 2:47 p.m.

Is it really worth DOUBLE the price to go from RS3's to RE11's? The tire will be daily summer driven as well as tracked at least once per month, with appropriate alignment/camber settings.

I mean, for $580 shipped vs $970 shipped, I can do all 4 corners with new rotors and pads on the Subie and buy myself a steak dinner by going with the RS3's.

I've heard that the RS3's tend to die off as they wear out; any truth to the rumor? I'm looking for cold hard reviews if possible. I've read and re-read the GRM tests, but that doesn't include living with the tires until they are down to the cords ;)

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
6/6/11 3:28 p.m.

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but -

Why are you asking other people to determine your priorities and how much money you spend?

What do YOU want?

BTW, you can go faster (with new, cheaper tires) and still be able to upgrade the brakes - which will also enable you to go faster. And, you can enjoy some red meat, too.

Regardless of your choice, everyone of your options is (at best) temporary.

Go with your gut and your budget.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/11 4:23 p.m.

probably not the answer he was looking for...

but really.. are RE11s worth the price of admission over the RE3s?

I personally think if the advantage over the RE3s is not that great.. I would upgrade the brakes first before moving up to the more expensive tyre. Less time spent braking is more time spent accelerating

cvedral
cvedral New Reader
6/6/11 9:05 p.m.

I have ran both on my s2000. rs3's much cheaper and just as good. If i want to spend that much money as the re11's cost get a set of toyo ra1's! They will last just as long and track much better.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
6/6/11 9:10 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: probably not the answer he was looking for... but really.. are RE11s worth the price of admission over the RE3s? I personally think if the advantage over the RE3s is not that great.. I would upgrade the brakes first before moving up to the more expensive tyre. Less time spent braking is more time spent accelerating

Uh, its not about upgrading the brakes, it's about having brakes at all! Wore the pads down to the rivets at the last track day, warped the rotors, etc. Going into turn 2 at 150km/h was fun, learned I had to brake close to 100feet earlier than I wanted to I absolutely agree though, ChumpCar taught me well about how having good reliable brakes is important to going fast.

cvedral wrote: I have ran both on my s2000. rs3's much cheaper and just as good. If i want to spend that much money as the re11's cost get a set of toyo ra1's! They will last just as long and track much better.

That is really good to hear, and I agree about the RA1s versus the RE11s. I just sold my civic, so as soon as money hits my credit card I'll be ordering parts. Definitely leaning towards the RS3's...

cvedral
cvedral New Reader
6/6/11 9:13 p.m.

rs3's great tire for the price. you got the cash go for the toyo's.

rwdsport
rwdsport New Reader
6/6/11 10:10 p.m.

Unless you are planning to be competitive just go for the cheaper set? I had an extremely positive experience in a DS ITR on RE11s. On a wet day managed to PAX first, first time driving the car. They are great all around tire. However on my civic I run some RE-01s. They cost me 150$ at 70% tread. I spent the money on the brakes.

But my car is neither set-up to the max of GS or SS2. Im just in it for seat time and improvement.

I think a lot of the S2k guys have switched to RS3s, you might want to check it out at s2ki.com

The signal vs noise ratio on the race part of that forum is not bad at all.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
6/6/11 11:31 p.m.

My not well prepped STR Miata is on the RE11's, I've driven two others on them (CS 350z and HS Audi 90), and I've driven I think 2 cars (autocrossed) on RS3's. From my experience and others, I really do think that the RE11's are worth it. I like them better on the course than the RS3's, but that is a highly personal opinion. From what I've heard, they wear very well too. I cannot comment on that other than mine have been on the car since the tire was new on the market, had 2 autocrosses before it was in my possession, and 3 since then. No idea on the mileage, but they've lasted quite a while.

All that being said, I'm a pretty broke college student. My next tire will be the RS3.

Gooshin
Gooshin
6/14/11 2:58 p.m.

Ran RE11's in 205/50/15 on an Impreza RS last year

about 110-120 track laps and 3 autocross events

and regular street driving during all of last years summer and this years spring.

due to bad camber i scrubbed the sidewall text and tires began to show cords on shoulders.

this year i fixed my camber problems, and decided to stick with the brand, same size.

i am into my 2nd month regular street driving and did 2 track days (competition, about 35 laps)

they stick like glue and don;'t make a noise, i think with the added camber the car can finally go faster, i just need to adjust my fears. I think this tire will last me the entire summer of track days without a problem. I run at 38'ish psi hot.

Having said that, i have been debating the RS3, for both t his and next years. However it seems like it really is a toss up.

Also, a number of fellow competitors say that the RS3 is not that good in the rain, maybe it just can't get the heat into it?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/11 6:57 p.m.

I picked the RS3, and so far I love them. Excellent in the wet, at least at full tread, and they seem to do well in the heat as well. Manage your pressures, and they are a very quick tire for not a lot of $$$.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
6/14/11 7:42 p.m.

Rs3s are fantastic. Unless it's cold or wet. The str miata I have been codriving is miserable in those conditions.

Then again, re11s don't come large enough for str na/nb miatas.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/11 10:27 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Rs3s are fantastic. Unless it's cold or wet. The str miata I have been codriving is miserable in those conditions. Then again, re11s don't come large enough for str na/nb miatas.

I do NOT agree. I live in the Pacific friggin Northwest, and I can tell you, we know cold and wet. The RS3's have been superb in those conditions. (Again, at full tread depth).

mtn
mtn SuperDork
6/14/11 10:34 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Rs3s are fantastic. Unless it's cold or wet. The str miata I have been codriving is miserable in those conditions. Then again, re11s don't come large enough for str na/nb miatas.

What size are you running?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
6/15/11 7:33 a.m.

225/45-15 on a 15x9 full depth.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lr3D9pSDXpAkvpAgwp3PdiwnCCIhCynHNk0MYSjuUilHtKLgr8jwkciv3xVEh1H6