1 2
Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
8/15/18 6:18 p.m.

Unfortunately I have to work late tonight (and probably for the next 3 weeks due to co-worker incompetence), but fortunately I snuck out "early" to continue to work from home.  This is good news as my new tires showed up around 5 hours ago.  Oh, and there's beer and hammy on the radio at home and I can work in the backyard.

Got some AT tires to mount on the hearse, do I go rwl or black?  Note that your vote may be over rulled by SWMBO as she's out and about tonight so she hasn't seen them, I never know what she might feel strongly about.

Here is the rim they'll be mounted on.  Sorry, they're a bit dirty.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/15/18 6:22 p.m.

RWLFTMFW

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/18 6:31 p.m.

And we're done.  No other commentary is necessary.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork

The correct answer is always out.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork

RWL

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
8/15/18 6:32 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

I won't disclose my opinion, but I thumbed up your post.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/15/18 6:34 p.m.

Blackwall. I like subtle. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
8/15/18 6:37 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

As do I, usually, but as I've learned, there's nothing suble about driving a hearse around like it's a normal every day thing.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
8/15/18 6:39 p.m.

RWL

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/15/18 6:43 p.m.

All terrains on a hearse... Rally cross?

RWL definitely out though. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
8/15/18 7:03 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

It didn't happen last year because it was my DD and I didn't have a backup that wasn't human powered.

My current hesitations are:

1: closest rx is 3+ hours away and I have no tow vehicle/car trailer.

2: the top (fiberglass) has already cracked at the corners of the doors because they apparently didn't design these to powerslide corners and bomb country road bridges and dips.

Though #2 can be addressed by turning it into a hell-camino.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/15/18 7:06 p.m.

It's a hearse. Keep it black black black as death. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/18 7:09 p.m.

Doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks if i’m mounting them.  White letters always out.  

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/15/18 7:15 p.m.

A hearse, with Wrangler tires, and enough gas cans to set a city block ablaze deserves a name. Can we vote on the name next? devil

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/15/18 7:18 p.m.

ECMJ gave the proper answer right away. Different opinions may be valid, but they're also wrong. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
8/15/18 7:18 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I thought I might see a post along these lines from you.

Screw work, got enough done to cover my ass in the morning.  Luckily I snagged some lunch leftovers this afternoon.  Where'd that beer go?

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
8/15/18 7:25 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

She's currently referred to as the dead sled, the wagon, or the hearse.  The previous fleetwood was "Bertha", and while this one's much larger I don't think it can superceed Bertha, she was amazing even though she was a heap.

I'm certainly open to other suggestions...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/18 7:28 p.m.

Showed it to my wife and she picked the white letters out. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/18 7:48 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Blackwall. I like subtle. 

I’ve never been a fan of RWL or skinny whitewalls. Possibly because those were pretty much the only options when I was young. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
8/15/18 8:08 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

That's pretty much all that's available in 235/75/15s now, especially tires that can safely support 7-8k ish pounds.  My main hesitation to rwl is the recent trend of wrl painted Nascar'ish tires on Camaros and the like.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/15/18 8:34 p.m.

I liked raised white letter tires...in 1979.  Since then, not so much.  Blackwalls on a hearse.

What's the reason for AT tires?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/18 8:37 p.m.

ORWL?—> Yes Definitely. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
8/15/18 8:59 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I wasn't alive in 1979 so I remeber it fondly laugh

I've run futura gls superports on my other Fleetwood and they were decent for something with that much sidewall, but the extra weight of the hearse really worked those sidewalls and they destroyed the shoulders. 

The hearse came with toyo extensa a/s whitewalls.  They had good tread but were dry rotted in the tread.  It was an Alabama car.  I burned most of those tires up at the dream cruise last year, we had to rotate tires in the parking lot multiple times.  

I don't plan on dding this thing anymore so it'll get used mostly as a truck/wagon/tailgate car.  We've had multiple issues with wet grass in the mid ohio infield that I'd like to avoid in the future, I still need to find a good posi for it.  I'm hoping the stiffer sidewall helps the highway mpg a bit.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
8/15/18 9:21 p.m.

So SWMBO came home while I was in the driveway checking out the AC on the hearse.  As I walked her into the house she commented:

"Hey, you got your mud tires for the hearse!"

"Yup, tires, man's best friend"

"Look how gnarly the tread is, and the letters are like the whitewalls on the old tires, those are going to look so cool on the hearse"

"Yup, they should look pretty sweet"

All the tires happened to be rwl side up, oops.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/18 9:33 p.m.

RWL but I might be biased laugh

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JpzNdTRWXQTeunxj5sHHSDvH7Cxcx58s9IjVGHvfEDOr8lAE2YqXt0nsnbW6Z37x