Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
7/31/24 8:52 a.m.

At one point, the Fiat 124 Spider seemed poised to knock the Miata off its pedestal. Back in the summer of 2016, the Fiat offered a brand-new, sharply styled, turbocharged platform-mate to the ND Mazda Miata that, at the time, still ran its lower-revving, lower-fun engine. 

We got even more excited after we compared the two cars on track at …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 133 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Read the rest of the story

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/24 9:46 a.m.

Despite my typical Italian car ownership experience, the Fiata has a certain charm of its own that I miss sometimes. Especially paired with the Goodwin System One exhaust, which mine also had, it's quite possibly the best-sounding four cylinder engine of all time. And the non-Abarth body (like Goodwin's car in the article) I think is better looking than the blacked-out angry-face Abarth. Maybe one day they'll become collectible.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/31/24 10:00 a.m.

Yeah but what's it's lap time at the Firm?

jk

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/31/24 10:36 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I'll be surprised if they don't become collectible, even if it's the Bring A Trailer/Cars & Bids kind of collectible.

I'm by no means a market expert, but I'd say it's the kind of car worth buying sooner instead of later if you have an interest.

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
7/31/24 11:00 a.m.

I prefer the way these look compared to the current Miata.  I'd swap the motor though.  laugh

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/31/24 11:12 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Taking a stock 124 Spider to the FIRM isn't a bad idea.

Anyone have one we can run? (I'm only half-joking.)

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/31/24 12:24 p.m.

Cool.  I have always liked the Fiata.

Although $14,000 in parts feels like... a lot.

I'd probably lose all the carbon fiber aero bits and it'll be a lot cheaper and a little more sleeper looking.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/24 12:34 p.m.

On track, the Fiata feels like an ND with 100 lbs strapped to the nose and softer throttle response - because that's what it is. I don't know if we still have lap times for our in-house development car, but it sure would be interesting to see the traces from the FIRM.

Greg414
Greg414 New Reader
8/1/24 3:37 p.m.

Yes, quite the extensive (pricey parts list).  While the result is something unique and fun, you're well into 987 Boxster S price territory at this point...

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/1/24 7:13 p.m.

I remember test driving one when they first came out, while the Abarth 500 was in for scheduled maintenance.  I'm not a convertible fan, even if I still want another Miata, but I also agree I thought they looked better than the ND.  I was disappointed to learn the Abarth version didn't have the same angry exhaust.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zdtdd2gTBoXoLRi8EzW5TALE7J0TPIXkqyWQF7ikvgQDG29QF6qtb5zZlSBw9NzJ