1 2 3
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/18/08 3:35 p.m.

Rob, somebody always pulls out "all of them have gotten bigger"... while that's true, it shouldn't give any of 'em a pass. The new challenger is just--as bravenrace said--"too big, too fat, too obnoxious, too cheap and too expensive."

I haven't driven one. Maybe I'd change my tune if I did. But as it is the Challenger seems more like an restyled 300 than anything else, and I don't find the 300 impressive at all.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/18/08 4:25 p.m.

To my poor old tired eyes, it looks nothing like the 300. It reminds me of my misspent youth; there was a guy in the next 'hood over where I grew up who had a 340 4 speed version and for $5 he'd make the front tires hop over a Coke bottle.

The 300 underwhelms me as well. I didn't care for it when I first saw it and I don't care for it now. If I want to look like I am in a gangster movie, there's classier ways to do it.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/18/08 4:33 p.m.

saw one the other day. I like it the styling very much. As a heavy rwd car, it's cool but seems to be relegated to those who are older in their mindset.

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
8/18/08 9:48 p.m.

Saw a red one on the lot at the local dealer. Up close & personal it is a huge car. Whether or not it is awesome is in the eye of the beholder.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/18/08 10:02 p.m.

what are the odds of GRM getting one to test?

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/18/08 10:06 p.m.

One of my buddys just bought one. He has a '70 Plum Crazy Challenger and had to have one of the new ones. Yes...they are cheap. But I walked around the car and sat in it. It is special. It isn't just another 300. I think it a beautiful car in person. It is a true American muscle car. This includes adhesive carbon fiber decals and standard Dodge build quality.

I like it.

impulsive
impulsive New Reader
8/18/08 10:36 p.m.

drove behind an orange one a few hours ago on the way home from work - some brutal traffic on I-10 so I got to stare at it for a while. I thought it was pretty well proportioned for its size and gave the illusion of less hugeness. I dig it.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
8/19/08 11:08 a.m.

The wheels look too big, and are ugly. To me, they're the only thing on the car that's proportionally retarded. The fake carbon fiber striping is hideous. Aside from that, I think it's the most beautifully designed car since the new Mustangs. Heavy, shmevy. It's not supposed to be a berkeleying sport compact.

Some great photos and info. (Did I mention I hate the berkeleying wheels?)

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/19/08 11:33 a.m.
pete240z wrote: My buddy in Omaha said a trainload got wiped out by hail and Chrysler decided to trash them all. is this true?

Our 1994 Ford Explorer was on a train that derailed before we could take delivery of it (back in 1994). All of those poor cars and trucks were smashed into oblivion.

MikeSVO
MikeSVO New Reader
8/19/08 12:55 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: It reminds me of my misspent youth; there was a guy in the next 'hood over where I grew up who had a 340 4 speed version and for $5 he'd make the front tires hop over a Coke bottle.

Was the $5 to patch the rear tire that got glass in it?

corsepervita
corsepervita New Reader
8/19/08 1:26 p.m.

I'm diggin' the new challengers, they look really nice

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
8/19/08 1:41 p.m.

The majority of NH's state police cars are now marked Chargers. Having been pulled over by a few, they appear to be very, very competent.:)

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
8/21/08 1:03 p.m.

Charger:

Challenger:

Please note the subtle differences

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/21/08 5:50 p.m.

^^nope, same message

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
8/21/08 11:52 p.m.

I saw an srt8 challenger at a bike show in nottingham, pa tonight. For a little town it had quite a big turn out, mostly harley though. Could go for some more variety.

MCarp22
MCarp22 New Reader
8/22/08 1:07 a.m.

I was picking up the mrs in the miata and parked next to one in her lot (shopping center) and couldn't help but notice how small the miata felt. I don't even think the windshield of my car came up to the challenger's beltline.

That's a big imposing looking car though. I agree that it's the best "retro" since the new mustang.

Lennyseleven
Lennyseleven New Reader
8/22/08 3:05 a.m.

I guess Im spoiled Ive been seeing them for months but they just recently went on sale. I saw a black one with black wheels and a roll cage about ten months ago.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/22/08 12:46 p.m.

Challenger:

Charger:

IMHO, the Charger is poorly proportioned and they did a crappy job of disguising the four doorishness.

nderwater
nderwater New Reader
8/22/08 1:15 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: They were big in the 60s. Now they're just huge.

But then again, so are the boomers who weren't allowed to own one in highschool and are the prime market for the new model.

jikelly
jikelly New Reader
8/22/08 1:15 p.m.

It's got 4 doors so of course it looks crappy.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
8/22/08 3:25 p.m.

The Challenger isn't too bad. Its not for me, but it looks mean as hell on the street. I've only seen one, but I definitely saw it, and thats the message of the car I think. Definitely American.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
8/22/08 3:33 p.m.
Definitely American.

The words "Berkeley yeah" come to mind.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/22/08 5:02 p.m.

A challenger pulld up outside my shop and drew a small crowd - in liberal Berkeley CA! It trully is a muscle car, whereas the Mustang is comparatively svelte (never thought I'd say that.) The Mustang doesn't have as much pure presence. Kinda like the gymnast who get's all the attention till the bodyuilder comes along and the girls forget the 1st guy.

btw - how do I get my dork status back? (Another thing I thought that I'd never say!)

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
8/22/08 5:10 p.m.

I saw a silver/black SRT-8 Challenger yesterday near Cabela's in Hamburg PA. It looked & sounded friggin' awesome on the road.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS New Reader
1/3/09 2:32 p.m.

One of the Dodge dealers in Knoxville has 2 Chrysler exec SRT8 Challengers, both Orange. I examined it over, and sat in the car. For a long time. Drooling. 425hp. Orange. Leather. Must have, need money........ Paxton makes an aftermarket supercharger for these also. Hurst is making some limited edition models also with a special price tag.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mGdyCL0TSNoq6dqI5A7OwznlQj98Vk1l9csyA8v9BDEtvrGTZG1ps4cNw0vE1qRG