Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/12/09 10:41 a.m.

A friend of mine has a 2000 Camaro SS with a 500-ish HP LS1 (heads, cam, etc.). When he really stomps it, the clutch pedal drops off towards the floor, and of course, travel becomes limited. The disengagement point drops too. I don't own any GM products or have much experience with them. The last Chevy I had was a 67 truck, probably still running out there somewhere, rusting away and dieing at every puddle in the road and I can't recall every owning a SBC.

This car has a hydraulic clutch, about 90K miles. Fluid has likely never been changed. 6 speed transmission. I don't think the motor or transmission has ever been out. The cam and heads were done with the block in the car.

So, I'm thinking of some possibilities on this: I can't see a mechanism for it, but a fluid change and flush is always a good place to start. Then, I think the clutch pressure plate fingers are somehow moving forward in relationship to the throwout bearing arm pivot point, and that is what is causing the pedal to drop down. If it was a cable system, I might suspect motor mounts, but with hydraulics, that's all I can figger. So what would cause the pressure plate to more forward? Crank "walk" or thrust bearings shot? Pressure plate somehow warping under extreme load? Are these known problems with LS1's? It only does this when he nails it, like flooring it going up an on ramp. The car is quite fast in a straight line.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4ejckZLOBkTxoC9K33qLB1dZxBoTmYCzY35OXxHUqep1VaLXTVcf8WeEkqe5vXFK